A better YouTube receiver

Old October 10th 17, 11:20 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
TonyGamble

Default A better YouTube receiver

I did phone Amazon - or rather I got them to phone me. Which they did almost instantly.

The helper went through the procedure of stopping YouTube and clearing the data.

It seems to have cured the problem, but tonight will be the test as that is when I have previously had problems.

She also told me that there is a new version of the Firestick coming out around the 25th October.

I'll post here when I have given the system some work this evening.

Tony
Old October 10th 17, 12:09 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
TonyGamble

So YouTube does not come to you the same way always.

Anyone got any views about what this guy is saying.

http://tinyurl.com/yd4mb3mk

Tony

Old October 10th 17, 12:26 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

TonyGamble wrote:

So YouTube does not come to you the same way always.
Anyone got any views about what this guy is saying.
http://tinyurl.com/yd4mb3mk

Outdated or perhaps plain wrong by now given the move to DASH streaming,
when I watch YouTube I see the 'segments' of video retried from e.g.

r13.sn-aigllndr.googlevideo.com

where the "r13.sn-aigllndr" part changes

this resolves to 74.125.168.18 for me, but could vary for different
parts of the world, or different ISPs.

Old October 10th 17, 07:36 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

On 10/10/2017 12:09, TonyGamble wrote:

So YouTube does not come to you the same way always.

Download it with the appropriate Firefox add-on. Then you can add
subtitles for foreign films that are never shown on UK TV.

--
Max Demian
Old October 10th 17, 07:54 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
TonyGamble

On Tuesday, October 10, 2017 at 7:36:15 PM UTC+1, Max Demian wrote:
On 10/10/2017 12:09, TonyGamble wrote:

So YouTube does not come to you the same way always.

Download it with the appropriate Firefox add-on. Then you can add
subtitles for foreign films that are never shown on UK TV.

--
Max Demian

Thanks Max, but not the sort of viewing I do on my television. And I cannot see how the Firestick handles Firefox.

Tony
Old October 10th 17, 08:24 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Yellow[_3_]

On Tue, 10 Oct 2017 03:20:50 -0700 (PDT), TonyGamble
wrote:

I did phone Amazon - or rather I got them to phone me. Which they did almost instantly.

The helper went through the procedure of stopping YouTube and clearing the data.

It seems to have cured the problem, but tonight will be the test as that is when I have previously had problems.

She also told me that there is a new version of the Firestick coming out around the 25th October.

I'll post here when I have given the system some work this evening.

Tony

I tend to use you Tube later in the day rather than earlier, sometimes
in the early hours if I am tumbling along one of those youTube "just one
more video" sessions. :-)

There are rare days when it is clearly playing up, I guess at youTube's
end, but it is generally instant enough that it is easy to forget I am
streaming.

But anyway, the only thing left (although did you say you already have?)
is to clear everything off, factory defaults and all that, and to reload
the youTube software.

I suppose there is an outside chance you have a faulty unit, but if the
other streaming apps are fine, that would seem unlikely.

Anyway - good luck I guess and I hope you get to the bottom of it.

Old October 10th 17, 09:57 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Vir Campestris

On 09/10/2017 19:21, TonyGamble wrote:
One thing I was doing was leaving it powered from a USB on the back of the tv.

It's quite likely this is the problem. Those things can use a reasonable
amount of power - more than some sockets will supply. Use its own PSU.

Andy
Old October 10th 17, 10:19 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
TonyGamble

On Tuesday, October 10, 2017 at 9:57:20 PM UTC+1, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 09/10/2017 19:21, TonyGamble wrote:
One thing I was doing was leaving it powered from a USB on the back of the tv.

It's quite likely this is the problem. Those things can use a reasonable
amount of power - more than some sockets will supply. Use its own PSU.

Andy

I'll try another power supply but my feeling this evening is that it is losing its network connection. This is a screen that comes up quite often. The wifi in the room is good. I use it for a tablet and it works with no problem.

There is a 'geeks' screen you can bring up and I can see the buffer disappearing.

Current feeling is to bung this one back and get the new device that comes out in fifteen days time.

Tony
Old October 10th 17, 11:01 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Yellow[_3_]

On Tue, 10 Oct 2017 14:19:24 -0700 (PDT), TonyGamble
wrote:

On Tuesday, October 10, 2017 at 9:57:20 PM UTC+1, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 09/10/2017 19:21, TonyGamble wrote:
One thing I was doing was leaving it powered from a USB on the back of the tv.

It's quite likely this is the problem. Those things can use a reasonable
amount of power - more than some sockets will supply. Use its own PSU.

Andy

I'll try another power supply but my feeling this evening is that it is losing its network connection. This is a screen that comes up quite often. The wifi in the room is good. I use it for a tablet and it works with no problem.

Do you have it plugged directly into the back of the telly or do you use
the USB lead that was supplied with the firestick?

I use the lead so I can have the firestick in front of the telly, in
direct line of sight to the router.

There is a 'geeks' screen you can bring up and I can see the buffer
disappearing.

But it is still odd that Iplayer works OK because if it is your network
you would think it would be the same. Unless youTube requires more power
perhaps?

Current feeling is to bung this one back and get the new device that comes out in fifteen days time.

Old October 10th 17, 11:04 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
TonyGamble

On Tuesday, October 10, 2017 at 9:57:20 PM UTC+1, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 09/10/2017 19:21, TonyGamble wrote:
One thing I was doing was leaving it powered from a USB on the back of the tv.

It's quite likely this is the problem. Those things can use a reasonable
amount of power - more than some sockets will supply. Use its own PSU.

Andy

Well suggested Andy.

I have moved the power to a 20.000mah pack and it seems to have made the system much more responsive. I have flicked from clip to clip for ten minutes and each comes up instantly. That never happened before.

Tony