The latest idea from a Brexit official: Replace EU safety checks with Amazon reviews

Old October 6th 17, 12:52 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Jackson[_7_]

Default The latest idea from a Brexit official: Replace EU safety checks with Amazon reviews

This should be fun.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/poli...rom-a-brexit-o
fficial-replace-eu-safety-checks-with-amazon-reviews-a3650231.html

http://bit.ly/2yrE0Ia
--
Ian
Old October 6th 17, 07:38 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
[email protected]

On Friday, 6 October 2017 13:53:29 UTC+1, Ian Jackson wrote:
This should be fun.
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/poli...rom-a-brexit-o
fficial-replace-eu-safety-checks-with-amazon-reviews-a3650231.html

What "EU safety checks"?

There are no safety checks on products entering the EU. Everything relies on manufacturers' declarations of conformity, which are pretty meaningless when genuine, and often completely fictitious.

In the Good Old Days you could go to your local Electricity Board Showroom confident in the knowledge that everything they sold had a BS Kitemark and/or BEAB Approval.

And they would fit you a 13A or 15A plug if you asked them nicely.

Owain

Old October 7th 17, 09:15 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

wrote in message
On Friday, 6 October 2017 13:53:29 UTC+1, Ian Jackson wrote:
This should be fun.
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/poli...rom-a-brexit-o
fficial-replace-eu-safety-checks-with-amazon-reviews-a3650231.html

What "EU safety checks"?

There are no safety checks on products entering the EU. Everything relies
on manufacturers' declarations of conformity, which are pretty meaningless
when genuine, and often completely fictitious.

well I thought that too (otherwise just how does all the Chinese crap get
through?)

But one of the official requests from HMG (to the EU) is that products which
are already CE approved on leaving date should not have to be re-approved -
as that, apparently "takes months and costs thousands" (per product), and I
thought "does it really!?"

but what do I know

tim

Old October 7th 17, 10:59 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Jackson[_7_]

In message , tim...
writes

wrote in message
[...]

IIUI, anything that gets approved by a test house in one EU country is
automatically approved for all the other EU countries.

For example, I might be wrong, but I believe that it was a German test
house that approved the use of the original domestic data-over-mains
equipment (the type that had no notches, and wiped out the amateur radio
bands) as, in their opinion, it met the relevant EN standards. As the
approval then applied to the whole EU, OFCOM decided they could/would do
little about it, despite it being obviously unfit for purpose.

As Brexit approaches, the question is how the UK is going to deal with
everything which has, for several decades, been obliged to bear the EC
symbol as an assurance of its quality and safety. Will we simply conform
with the present and ongoing requirements, or will we be reinstating our
own BSI approvals? If it's the latter, it could simply be an expensive
exercise in making a lot of work for the working man to do?
--
Ian
Old October 7th 17, 12:06 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles[_2_]

In article , Martin
wrote:
On Sat, 7 Oct 2017 11:04:53 +0100, Max Demian
wrote:

On 07/10/2017 10:34, Martin wrote:
On Fri, 6 Oct 2017 12:38:24 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

In the Good Old Days you could go to your local Electricity Board
Showroom confident in the knowledge that everything they sold had a
BS Kitemark and/or BEAB Approval.

And they would fit you a 13A or 15A plug if you asked them nicely.

In the really good old days the plug was already attached.

Which "good old days" are you talking about?

Era before what was referred to above as the Good Old Days

Nowadays it's a legal requirement for mains appliances to come fitted
with a 13A plug. It used to be a bugbear of mine that the 13A plug was
an expensive extra

90p-1?

You paid 100s for something and they wanted to charge you 1 for the
plug - you either had to pay or drag the appliance round to Woolies and
get one for 25p. The excuse offered by the dealer was that there are
lots of different kinds of mains plugs, but they continued doing this
long after there were 13A sockets everywhere.

It's so that one packaged product could be sold all over the EU instead
of a separate package for each socket/plug variant.one for each. When we
buy electrical goods in UK we have to add a mains adaptor before it can
be used in The Netherlands. A good adaptor costs more than a plug.

this applies in the UK when I buy electrical kit from Thomann (germany),

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Old October 7th 17, 01:43 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

On 07/10/2017 13:02, Martin wrote:

It's so that one packaged product could be sold all over the EU instead of a
separate package for each socket/plug variant.one for each. When we buy
electrical goods in UK we have to add a mains adaptor before it can be used in
The Netherlands. A good adaptor costs more than a plug.

I have a few power supplies with a slot for the mains connector and a
choice of UK or continental pins mounted on plastic bases to slide in
the slot. The continental ones are close enough to the US ones to serve
both markets.

Obviously one of the connectors is redundant, but it is clearly cheaper
to provide a plastic throw-away than to have different production and
packing arrangements.

Old October 7th 17, 02:20 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 07/10/2017 13:06, charles wrote:

It's so that one packaged product could be sold all over the EU instead
of a separate package for each socket/plug variant.one for each. When we
buy electrical goods in UK we have to add a mains adaptor before it can
be used in The Netherlands. A good adaptor costs more than a plug.

this applies in the UK when I buy electrical kit from Thomann (germany),

A lot a satellite receivers have a shuko plug and a thing that plug
clips into that turns it into a 13A plug.

Old October 7th 17, 03:36 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 07/10/2017 16:32, tim... wrote:

plug - you either had to pay or drag the appliance round to Woolies
and get one for 25p.

why did you have to take the appliance with you?

Because he'd bought it and had to carry it around for the rest of the
shopping trip. That's how it was in the olden days. I always remember
when my mother bought that three piece suite...