The latest idea from a Brexit official: Replace EU safety checks with Amazon reviews

Old October 7th 17, 06:02 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Java Jive[_2_]

Default The latest idea from a Brexit official: Replace EU safety checks with Amazon reviews

On Sat, 7 Oct 2017 18:07:37 +0100, Andy Burns
wrote:

Mark wrote:

The only round pinned plugs that were used in the UK that I can
remember were 5A ones. As used in theatres, for example.

BS546 round pin 15A, 5A and 2A plugs all pre-date 13A plugs

Exactly. Instead of a ranges of different ampage appliances all
connected to one 13A ring main by via differently rated plug fuses
such as we see today - 2 or 3A fuses for lighting, 13A fuses for
kettles and heaters, more unusually 5A for those in between - it
used to be that there was a seperate distribution circuit for each
type of appliance - 2A round pin for table lamps, 5A, and then 15A
for kettles and heaters, etc.
Old October 7th 17, 07:04 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles[_2_]

In article ,
Indy Jess John wrote:
On 07/10/2017 17:39, brightside S9 wrote:
On Sat, 7 Oct 2017 16:25:04 +0000 (UTC),
(Richard Tobin) wrote:

In ,
wrote:

And they would fit you a 13A or 15A plug if you asked them nicely.

15A plug???

Round pins.

Like this one
http://cpc.farnell.com/mk/p153blk/15...pin/dp/PL00476
They've 253 in stock so there must be still a demand for them.

There were three sizes of round pin plug, 15A, 5A and 2A, where the pins
and pin spacings got smaller as the rating reduced.

They were used on radial circuits rather than a ring main.

There "are" not "were". TLC still supply them. In a reasonably newly
refurbished hotel room (where I stayed last weekend) there were 5A sockets
switched by the light switch at the door - just as they were in my parents'
1910 house!

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Old October 7th 17, 08:51 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Yellow[_3_]

On Sat, 7 Oct 2017 10:15:12 +0100, tim...
wrote:

wrote in message
On Friday, 6 October 2017 13:53:29 UTC+1, Ian Jackson wrote:
This should be fun.
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/poli...rom-a-brexit-o
fficial-replace-eu-safety-checks-with-amazon-reviews-a3650231.html

What "EU safety checks"?

There are no safety checks on products entering the EU. Everything relies
on manufacturers' declarations of conformity, which are pretty meaningless
when genuine, and often completely fictitious.

well I thought that too (otherwise just how does all the Chinese crap get
through?)

But one of the official requests from HMG (to the EU) is that products which
are already CE approved on leaving date should not have to be re-approved -
as that, apparently "takes months and costs thousands" (per product), and I
thought "does it really!?"

but what do I know

It can do, yes. I was involved in CE Marking at my last job and some
aspects for some products indeed cost us thousands of pounds as well as
a shed load of time.

Old October 7th 17, 09:44 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 07/10/2017 17:19, The Other John wrote:
On Sat, 07 Oct 2017 16:36:35 +0100, Bill Wright wrote:

I always remember when
my mother bought that three piece suite...

How did she get it home on the bus? One up and two down?

She rode on the bus. We kids ran along behind carrying the furniture.

Old October 8th 17, 07:46 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Layman[_2_]

wrote:

Mark wrote:

The only round pinned plugs that were used in the UK that I can
remember were 5A ones. As used in theatres, for example.

BS546 round pin 15A, 5A and 2A plugs all pre-date 13A plugs

Exactly. Instead of a ranges of different ampage appliances all
connected to one 13A ring main by via differently rated plug fuses
such as we see today - 2 or 3A fuses for lighting, 13A fuses for
kettles and heaters, more unusually 5A for those in between - it
used to be that there was a seperate distribution circuit for each
type of appliance - 2A round pin for table lamps, 5A, and then 15A
for kettles and heaters, etc.

The ceiling bayonet fit bulb sockets were often used for other purposes.
I can remember a Y splitter with a 100w bulb on one side, and my mother
running the iron from the other side! I thought the fuse wire for that
was 5A, not 2A, BICBW. What were domestic irons rated at in the 50s?
Surely it must have been around 1kW, so 2A fuses wouldn't have been of
much use (and no, we didn't use fag packet "silver paper" to replace the
fuse!).

--

Jeff
Old October 8th 17, 10:54 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Sat, 07 Oct 2017 18:48:58 +0100, Indy Jess John
wrote:

There were three sizes of round pin plug, 15A, 5A and 2A, where the pins
and pin spacings got smaller as the rating reduced.

I remember 10A ones as well. There were both 2 pin and 3 pin versions
of each size, but the pins were spaced so that you couldn't insert a 2
pin plug into a 3 hole socket. I don't know what the thinking was
behind this, because continental and American 2 pin and 3 pin
connectors are designed to be compatible, and I haven't heard of any
problems resulting from this. Also, in the UK you could get adaptors
with 3 pins that would provide outputs for 2 pins, and they seemed to
be just as safe as plugging directly into a 2 hole wall socket.

Old October 8th 17, 12:07 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Roderick Stewart wrote:

Indy Jess John wrote:

There were three sizes of round pin plug, 15A, 5A and 2A

I remember 10A ones as well.

Don't remember those, my grandparents' house was mainly round-pin (I
think an extension was 13A) and they had myriad square to round and
round to lower capacity round adapters.

Apparently there was a round pin 30A plug/socket too for cookers, but
they had a Rayburn, so I never saw one.
Old October 8th 17, 01:17 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

wrote:

There were three sizes of round pin plug, 15A, 5A and 2A, where the pins
and pin spacings got smaller as the rating reduced.

I remember 10A ones as well. There were both 2 pin and 3 pin versions
of each size, but the pins were spaced so that you couldn't insert a 2
pin plug into a 3 hole socket. I don't know what the thinking was
behind this, because continental and American 2 pin and 3 pin
connectors are designed to be compatible, and I haven't heard of any
problems resulting from this. Also, in the UK you could get adaptors
with 3 pins that would provide outputs for 2 pins, and they seemed to
be just as safe as plugging directly into a 2 hole wall socket.

You used to be able to get "multi-plugs" that would fit 5 and 15A round
pin, 2 and 3 pin sockets, plus the standard 13A square pin sockets. You
had to squeeze the plug to get them to fit the 2 pin sockets!

--
Max Demian