The latest idea from a Brexit official: Replace EU safety checks with Amazon reviews

Old October 7th 17, 03:40 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

Default The latest idea from a Brexit official: Replace EU safety checks with Amazon reviews

"Ian Jackson" wrote in message
In message , tim...
writes

wrote in message
On Friday, 6 October 2017 13:53:29 UTC+1, Ian Jackson wrote:
This should be fun.
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/poli...rom-a-brexit-o
fficial-replace-eu-safety-checks-with-amazon-reviews-a3650231.html

What "EU safety checks"?

There are no safety checks on products entering the EU. Everything
relies on manufacturers' declarations of conformity, which are pretty
meaningless when genuine, and often completely fictitious.

well I thought that too (otherwise just how does all the Chinese crap get
through?)

But one of the official requests from HMG (to the EU) is that products
which are already CE approved on leaving date should not have to be
re-approved - as that, apparently "takes months and costs thousands" (per
product), and I thought "does it really!?"

but what do I know

tim

IIUI, anything that gets approved by a test house in one EU country is
automatically approved for all the other EU countries.

most products aren't tested by a test house.

Only things like communications products and cars have to do this

run of the mill stuff is self certified for compliance with standards such
as

"not containing lead paint"

or

"toys not containing little parts that a small child might choke on"

and the myriad of other rules and regs that make stuff safe.

For example, I might be wrong, but I believe that it was a German test
house that approved the use of the original domestic data-over-mains
equipment (the type that had no notches, and wiped out the amateur radio
bands) as, in their opinion, it met the relevant EN standards. As the
approval then applied to the whole EU, OFCOM decided they could/would do
little about it, despite it being obviously unfit for purpose.

As Brexit approaches, the question is how the UK is going to deal with
everything which has, for several decades, been obliged to bear the EC
symbol as an assurance of its quality and safety. Will we simply conform
with the present and ongoing requirements, or will we be reinstating our
own BSI approvals? If it's the latter, it could simply be an expensive
exercise in making a lot of work for the working man to do?

for new products it wont be any more expensive than now - assuming that the
UK test houses get EU accreditation. This must be theoretically possible,
the company that I last did a job for had their communications products EU
certified by a test house in Ukraine because it was much cheaper than the
German option.

Of course re-testing of current products is an extra expense, but most
people are hoping that can be avoided

tim

Old October 7th 17, 04:19 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
The Other John[_2_]

On Sat, 07 Oct 2017 16:36:35 +0100, Bill Wright wrote:

I always remember when
my mother bought that three piece suite...

How did she get it home on the bus? One up and two down?

--
TOJ.
Old October 7th 17, 04:21 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark[_6_]

On Fri, 6 Oct 2017 12:38:24 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Friday, 6 October 2017 13:53:29 UTC+1, Ian Jackson wrote:
This should be fun.
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/poli...rom-a-brexit-o
fficial-replace-eu-safety-checks-with-amazon-reviews-a3650231.html

What "EU safety checks"?

There are no safety checks on products entering the EU. Everything relies on manufacturers' declarations of conformity, which are pretty meaningless when genuine, and often completely fictitious.

In the Good Old Days you could go to your local Electricity Board Showroom confident in the knowledge that everything they sold had a BS Kitemark and/or BEAB Approval.

And they would fit you a 13A or 15A plug if you asked them nicely.

15A plug???

Old October 7th 17, 04:25 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Richard Tobin

In article ,
Mark wrote:

And they would fit you a 13A or 15A plug if you asked them nicely.

15A plug???

Round pins.

-- Richard

Old October 7th 17, 04:55 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
johnt

"brightside S9" wrote in message
On Sat, 7 Oct 2017 16:25:04 +0000 (UTC),
(Richard Tobin) wrote:

In article ,
Mark wrote:

And they would fit you a 13A or 15A plug if you asked them nicely.

15A plug???

Round pins.

Like this one
http://cpc.farnell.com/mk/p153blk/15...pin/dp/PL00476
They've 253 in stock so there must be still a demand for them.

Manufactured in Malaysia!

--
JohnT

Old October 7th 17, 04:59 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark[_6_]

On Sat, 7 Oct 2017 16:25:04 +0000 (UTC),
(Richard Tobin) wrote:

In article ,
Mark wrote:

And they would fit you a 13A or 15A plug if you asked them nicely.

15A plug???

Round pins.

The only round pinned plugs that were used in the UK that I can
remember were 5A ones. As used in theatres, for example.

Old October 7th 17, 05:07 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Mark wrote:

The only round pinned plugs that were used in the UK that I can
remember were 5A ones. As used in theatres, for example.

BS546 round pin 15A, 5A and 2A plugs all pre-date 13A plugs

Old October 7th 17, 05:48 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

On 07/10/2017 17:39, brightside S9 wrote:
On Sat, 7 Oct 2017 16:25:04 +0000 (UTC),
(Richard Tobin) wrote:

In ,
wrote:

And they would fit you a 13A or 15A plug if you asked them nicely.

15A plug???

Round pins.

Like this one
http://cpc.farnell.com/mk/p153blk/15...pin/dp/PL00476
They've 253 in stock so there must be still a demand for them.

There were three sizes of round pin plug, 15A, 5A and 2A, where the pins
and pin spacings got smaller as the rating reduced.

They were used on radial circuits rather than a ring main.

Old October 7th 17, 05:50 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles[_2_]

In article , Mark
wrote:
On Fri, 6 Oct 2017 12:38:24 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Friday, 6 October 2017 13:53:29 UTC+1, Ian Jackson wrote:
This should be fun.
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/poli...rom-a-brexit-o
fficial-replace-eu-safety-checks-with-amazon-reviews-a3650231.html

What "EU safety checks"?

There are no safety checks on products entering the EU. Everything
relies on manufacturers' declarations of conformity, which are pretty
meaningless when genuine, and often completely fictitious.

In the Good Old Days you could go to your local Electricity Board
Showroom confident in the knowledge that everything they sold had a BS
Kitemark and/or BEAB Approval.

And they would fit you a 13A or 15A plug if you asked them nicely.

15A plug???

Yes, round pin. My father's house was still using them when he died - 22
years ago. Used in South Africa as their standard and also in UK theatres.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England