[OT] Dual-Gang switched 13A + USB sockets

Old October 9th 17, 01:16 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Johnny B Good[_2_]

Default [OT] Dual-Gang switched 13A + USB sockets

On Fri, 06 Oct 2017 22:07:08 +0100, pamela wrote:

On 07:58 6 Oct 2017, Brian Gaff wrote:

Yes and I hate this idea, looks to me like an accident waiting to
happen. Tiny switch mode psus kicking out crud all the time and one
large mains spike and goodness knows what is going to be coming out of
that usb.

Brian

In addition to that, if you have a dozen of these mains powered USB
sockets then the power consumption may not be trivial for a year.

If they're based on those Black Signalex 1.2A USB chargers sold in
Poundland it *will* be trivial. :-)

A dozen of these are unlikely to add more than a quid a year to the
annual electricity bill going by the lack of even so much as a twitch of
the needle on my trusty Metrawatt analogue watt meter on the 100W (mirror
backed) scale (100vac / 1A range combination) when closely scrutinised
with a jeweller’s loupe during the switch off transient[1].

By my reckoning, it seems that Signalex have managed to get the standby
consumption below the 50mW mark which I find a rather impressive result
for such wallwart technology. IME, the standby consumption has typically
ranged over the 100 to 500mW mark with similarly power rated smpsu based
wallwarts made during the last decade.

[1] I see a brief 2 or 3 watt transient reading when switching on due to
the HT smoothing cap inrush current which proves the meter can register
this transient ok but this has no bearing on the steady state consumption
of which the only chance of I have of accurately detecting is to look for
the slight movement of the pointer when switching the mains supply *off*.

--
Johnny B Good
Old October 9th 17, 01:23 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Johnny B Good[_2_]

On Sat, 07 Oct 2017 09:27:22 +0100, Roderick Stewart wrote:

On Fri, 06 Oct 2017 22:07:08 +0100, pamela wrote:

Yes and I hate this idea, looks to me like an accident waiting to
happen. Tiny switch mode psus kicking out crud all the time and one
large mains spike and goodness knows what is going to be coming out of
that usb.

Brian

In addition to that, if you have a dozen of these mains powered USB
sockets then the power consumption may not be trivial for a year.

Also, the USB charging sockets in 13A wall panels are likely to be
generic 5V sources, so if your phone/tablet/etc can use one of the fast
charging methods (e.g. Qualcom Quickcharge 3) where the charger
increases the voltage, you won't have the advantage of this.

My Samsung phone, for example, charges at about 14W in fast charge mode,
but around 5 to 7W from a bog standard charger, and of course only
around 2W when plugged into a computer, so it's an advantage well worth
having. IMHO, it's best to use proper chargers designed for the job and
plug them into the mains as necessary.

All excellent reasons not to bother with such retro and obsolescent
(soon to go the way of the Dodo and optical media technology), especially
when you can buy plug in 1 and 1.2A 5v USB wallwarts in Pound shops with
standby consumption figures of less than 50mW each.

--
Johnny B Good
Old October 9th 17, 12:52 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Johnny B Good[_2_]

On Mon, 09 Oct 2017 12:20:48 +0100, pamela wrote:

On 01:16 9 Oct 2017, Johnny B Good wrote:

[...]

Yes, I once had a meter like that but its readings were rubbish at
very low levels. ;-)

There, fixed your post for you. :-)

--
Johnny B Good