Am I seeing things ?

Old October 4th 17, 09:09 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Phi

Default Am I seeing things ?

The same programme with that awful Sugar fellow on BBC1 and BBC2
simultaneously (series 13.1 'Burgers)

Old October 4th 17, 09:12 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Phi

"Phi" wrote in message
news
The same programme with that awful Sugar fellow on BBC1 and BBC2
simultaneously (series 13.1 'Burgers)

OK, they have corrected the time now it is on an hour later on BBC2

Old October 5th 17, 08:05 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

I don't know but its getting to be a pretty tired format. I have a bit of a
love hate relationship with Alan Michael Sugar, I saw him once at a computer
show bossing around his team back in the amstrad days, every other word was
a swear word, and they were all jumping to his tune as if their lives
depended on it, then yet again when I needed some permission to use some
Amstrad/Sinclair stuff in a software project, he gave permission without
asking for any money at all.
Not sure what to make of him.
I cannot watch that show though. One also has to remember that the
apprentice in the States for many years had Donald Trump as the employer, I
cannot imagine what he was like as a boss the way people seem to get fired
from his team at the Whitehouse makes me wonder if he thinks the President
of the United states is yet another tv role.

"Martin" wrote in message
On Wed, 4 Oct 2017 21:12:40 -0000, "Phi" wrote:

"Phi" wrote in message
news
The same programme with that awful Sugar fellow on BBC1 and BBC2
simultaneously (series 13.1 'Burgers)

OK, they have corrected the time now it is on an hour later on BBC2

Isn't that the follow up programme that they have always had after
Apprentice?
--

Martin in Zuid Holland

Old October 5th 17, 08:08 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Not sure what that was all about.

Spain are getting themselves in a bit of a mess, as if the country was not
economically rubbish already.
Somebody needs to gett a grip and tell both sides some home truths.

"Martin" wrote in message
On Wed, 4 Oct 2017 21:09:48 -0000, "Phi" wrote:

The same programme with that awful Sugar fellow on BBC1 and BBC2
simultaneously (series 13.1 'Burgers)

not to mention the BBC TV programme about Barcelona in which it was
claimed that
Barcelona was attacked by German JETS during the Spanish civil war.
--

Martin in Zuid Holland

Old October 5th 17, 08:30 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
I don't know but its getting to be a pretty tired format. I have a bit of
a love hate relationship with Alan Michael Sugar, I saw him once at a
computer show bossing around his team back in the amstrad days, every
other word was a swear word, and they were all jumping to his tune as if
their lives depended on it, then yet again when I needed some permission
to use some Amstrad/Sinclair stuff in a software project, he gave
permission without asking for any money at all.
Not sure what to make of him.
I cannot watch that show though. One also has to remember that the
apprentice in the States for many years had Donald Trump as the employer,
I cannot imagine what he was like as a boss the way people seem to get
fired from his team at the Whitehouse makes me wonder if he thinks the
President of the United states is yet another tv role.

His attitude of belittling his employees and putting them on the spot and
being generally confrontational, typifies all that is bad about some
managers, whether junior, middle, senior or executive - you always get the
bullies who like to "govern" by humiliation rather than by gaining the
respect if their staff.

His behaviour reminds me of too many crap managers that I have worked for. I
cannot watch it for this reason. Mind you, he does get some appallingly
naive and inept apprentices - I wonder if they are hand-picked, and normal,
sensible, conscientious applicants are rejected in the interests of making
"better TV".

Old October 5th 17, 08:48 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Norman Wells[_6_]

On 05/10/2017 09:30, NY wrote:
"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
[...]

Of course they are. It's prime time *entertainment*, not a succession
of normal job interviews which would be just about as boring as you
could imagine.

It's a programme about hubris and pricking inflated egos, nothing else.
Old October 5th 17, 09:13 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Thu, 5 Oct 2017 09:48:28 +0100, Norman Wells
wrote:

[re managers on telly]
His behaviour reminds me of too many crap managers that I have worked
for. I cannot watch it for this reason. Mind you, he does get some
appallingly naive and inept apprentices - I wonder if they are
hand-picked, and normal, sensible, conscientious applicants are rejected
in the interests of making "better TV".

Of course they are. It's prime time *entertainment*, not a succession
of normal job interviews which would be just about as boring as you
could imagine.

It's a programme about hubris and pricking inflated egos, nothing else.

Everything on TV is in the interests of "better TV", and sensible
people don't expect it to reflect reality (even though some of it,
perversely, is actually called "reality TV"). There may be a problem
with the fact that not all people are sensible people, including
possibly some aspiring managers. I wonder how many of them see these
manufactured monsters on TV and think that that's the way real
managers are supposed to behave? It can't do any good.

Rod.

---
http://www.avg.com

Old October 5th 17, 09:37 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

"Huge" wrote in message
Quite. It isn't so much that "the camera never lies" as "the camera
always lies".

Or more accurately, the camera never lies but the people who use it and who
appear in front of it always lie.

Old October 5th 17, 09:52 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

On 05/10/2017 10:13, Roderick Stewart wrote:

Everything on TV is in the interests of "better TV", and sensible
people don't expect it to reflect reality (even though some of it,
perversely, is actually called "reality TV").

I remember watching the first ever Big Brother, when the TV company had
no idea how the series would pan out, and the people in the house had no
idea what they were letting themselves in for. It turned out to be
really entertaining Reality TV, with everybody mucking in with feeding
chickens, collecting eggs, tending the vegetable garden, and making
their own bread, whilst forced to get up at sensible times if they
wanted a hot shower. There were a few personalty clashes, but on the
whole they rubbed along and tried to get some benefit from the strange
scenario they had volunteered for. I enjoyed watching the coping
strategies.

Then the producers analysed the events and decided that they wanted more
conflict, more hotheads, more boredom (so no gardening or chickens in
future), and to achieve this they cherry-picked the next intake, which
still had echoes of the original entertainment, but now had additional
slanging matches. They watched that and decided on a better set of
cherry-picking selection rules; and relaxed some of the restrictive
rules, so that viewers were treated to fussing over make-up and hair gel
because otherwise the carefully selected intake would get too bored and
sleep most of the day. And so on.

In their minds they were creating exciting TV. To my mind the intakes
were getting more and more moronic and tetchy. I survived to the end of
Series 3 and then concluded that what had started out as an interesting
and very watchable concept, with ordinary people coping with
extraordinary living conditions, had turned into a continuous (and
uninteresting) sketch show.

TV executives always want to fix things that aren't broken.

Old October 5th 17, 11:07 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Chris J Dixon

Indy Jess John wrote:

I remember watching the first ever Big Brother, when the TV company had
no idea how the series would pan out, and the people in the house had no
idea what they were letting themselves in for.

[snip]

In their minds they were creating exciting TV. To my mind the intakes
were getting more and more moronic and tetchy. I survived to the end of
Series 3 and then concluded that what had started out as an interesting
and very watchable concept, with ordinary people coping with
extraordinary living conditions, had turned into a continuous (and
uninteresting) sketch show.

TV executives always want to fix things that aren't broken.

I quite agree. I think I saw some of BB4, but you are right, it
was already going downhill by then. I recall that Jon Tickle
posted online about the selection process and his discussions
with the production team, which made interesting reading.

The Apprentice has jumped the shark for me - the whole programme
is just too awful, though "You've Been Fired" is still tolerable,
though it was better with Dara.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK