Cold caller

Old October 8th 17, 07:21 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Field

Default Cold caller

"Scott" wrote in message
On Sat, 7 Oct 2017 18:36:55 +0100, "Ian Field"
wrote:

"Graham." wrote in message
. ..
On Thu, 5 Oct 2017 21:02:23 +0100, "Ian Field"
coalesced the vapors of human
experience into a viable and meaningful comprehension...

"NY" wrote in message
"R. Mark Clayton" wrote in message
"pocket dialled" = had not got the keypad lock on an the phone call
was
accidentally made (e.g. by bashing on coins) while the phone was in
his
pocket.

I have a friend who sometimes does this (but he has unlimited minutes
on
3) quite often, but I shout down the phone at him or hang up and ring
back.

I presume your friend is phoning you on your mobile. If it's an
incoming
call on a landline, the recipient can't clear the call but must wait
until
the hangup timeout has expired which is a very long time if you are
waiting to make another call. My grandma had a stroke and phoned me
but
then stopped speaking. I couldn't clear the call to be able to ring
999
and get the call routed to her local ambulance centre for them to send
an
ambulance. I had to go next door and use their phone. This was in the
days
before mobiles, otherwise I'd have rung from my mobile.

Some deviant callers do it to cause alarm or distress -= solder a PP3
connector to a Sonalert sounder and fix it to the handset with a rubber
band.

That's posh, it used to be a whistle.

I don't know how many bits of dynamic range there are in a phone call,
but once they are all "1" that's as loud as it gets, and I think you
will find that the normal speaking voice can do that, so any annoyance
caused by your piezoelectric device will be purely subjective.

But its so much easier than standing by the phone blowing a whistle when
you
have better things to do.

Clipping isn't such a bad thing when you want to fill the bandwidth so the
pest cant eavesdrop while you let them run their phone bill up.

I'm told that saying 'I'd like you to know that I am not wearing any
knickers' works quite well. I had a call early this morning when I
was still in bed. I was tempted to say that I always wake up in a
state of 'excitement' and if she could do me a favour and describe her
female attributes this would be much appreciated. But I didn't.

An online blogged spoof has the house being a murder scene with the lead
detective picking up the phone.

the recorded conversation gets pretty weird and doesn't take the caller long
to hang up.

I was talking about weirdos that call and don't hang up - the last landline
service I had remains blocked until they hang up.

Old October 8th 17, 09:08 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_2_]

On Sun, 8 Oct 2017 19:21:31 +0100, "Ian Field"
wrote:

.. .

"NY" wrote in message
[...]

Yes, I've heard that one (Tom Mabe). ACtually, the caller remains for
a surprising period of time. I know you were approaching the mission
from the opposite direction - detaining rather than repelling - but I
thought I would comment anyway. I do usually try to string them along
if I'm in the mood.
Old October 8th 17, 10:04 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mike[_19_]

In article ,
Ian Field wrote:

An online blogged spoof has the house being a murder scene with the lead
detective picking up the phone.

the recorded conversation gets pretty weird and doesn't take the caller long
to hang up.

Are you thinking of Tom Mabe, audio here ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttrzG5F4R3o

Mike Brown: mjb[-at-]signal11.org.uk | http://www.signal11.org.uk
Old October 9th 17, 09:29 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Chris J Dixon

Ian Field wrote:

I was talking about weirdos that call and don't hang up - the last landline
service I had remains blocked until they hang up.

I once had a rather persistent caller who didn't seem to be able
to work things at his end. He appeared to terminate the call, but
I didn't immediately put my handset down, as I heard dialling
tones. Sure enough, there he was again. He was beginning to get a
bit aggravated, which did not improve as he managed to do this
more than once. ;-)

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.

Old October 14th 17, 09:58 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_2_]

On Tue, 3 Oct 2017 05:08:47 +0100, Bill Wright
wrote:

[snip]

Just had one of these eejits, claiming to be from BT. I made out I
could not hear him for a bit then said it was a fault the phone line,
which I wanted BT to fix. He got me his colleague. I told him there
was no problem with the internet - the problem was the line itself.
Lot of rain here. Needs checking. Needs a line test. He kept trying
to get me on to the computer. I kept telling him there is nothing
wrong with the computer. He said the phone and the internet were the
same and I needed to go on the computer for him to fix the problem. I
said he was not listening and I wanted him to start with the phone
line, carry out full test, get an engineer to check the line itself
for water ingress and once he had the results we could then look at
the computer. The line needs to come first.

Eventually he said they would have to cut me off. I said to go ahead
and cut me off and give me a refund then I could go to Virgin. He
wanted some detail or other but I told him the money was paid by
direct debit (all ******** as BT is not my supplier) and he should ask
accounts to deal with it if he did not know how to do so. I said it
was called a reversal but they would know.

I then thanked him for his call, which was 'interesting'.

Maybe I have done someone a service over the 10 minutes or so he was
on the line listening to this rubbish!
Old October 14th 17, 02:06 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

wrote:

[...]

Won't stop the CEO of whoever he works for buying a Ferrari.

--
Max Demian
Old October 14th 17, 09:14 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Vir Campestris

On 14/10/2017 09:58, Scott wrote:
Maybe I have done someone a service over the 10 minutes or so he was
on the line listening to this rubbish!

I admire your patience.

I was called on my mobile at work the other day by a Chinese woman (from
the accent) who had some really good investment suggestions.

Number withheld.

I got an address, but not surprisingly it was fake.

I had to cut her off - I have work to do.

Andy
Old October 14th 17, 09:46 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Field

"Vir Campestris" wrote in message
news
On 14/10/2017 09:58, Scott wrote:
Maybe I have done someone a service over the 10 minutes or so he was
on the line listening to this rubbish!

I admire your patience.

I was called on my mobile at work the other day by a Chinese woman (from
the accent) who had some really good investment suggestions.

Number withheld.

I got an address, but not surprisingly it was fake.

I had to cut her off - I have work to do.

I leave the battery out when not expecting a call to prevent pocket
dialling - and PITA cold callers.

Old October 15th 17, 01:29 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 14/10/2017 21:46, Ian Field wrote:

I leave the battery out when not expecting a call to prevent pocket
dialling - and PITA cold callers.

I wonder if it would work to dial a 6 or a 7 before putting the phone in
your pocket.