Cold caller

Old October 6th 17, 08:10 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Field

Default Cold caller

"Indy Jess John" wrote in message
On 05/10/2017 18:07, NY wrote:

I presume your friend is phoning you on your mobile. If it's an incoming
call on a landline, the recipient can't clear the call but must wait
until
the hangup timeout has expired which is a very long time if you are
waiting
to make another call.

It depends on who supplies your telephone service. Virginmedia don't use
BT exchanges, and they clear an incoming call when you hang up.

Mine didn't - it was near the top of the list of reasons I told VM to take
the land line and walk away with jerky movements.

Old October 7th 17, 01:16 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham.[_12_]

On Thu, 5 Oct 2017 21:02:23 +0100, "Ian Field"
coalesced the vapors of human
experience into a viable and meaningful comprehension...

"NY" wrote in message
"R. Mark Clayton" wrote in message
"pocket dialled" = had not got the keypad lock on an the phone call was
accidentally made (e.g. by bashing on coins) while the phone was in his
pocket.

I have a friend who sometimes does this (but he has unlimited minutes on
3) quite often, but I shout down the phone at him or hang up and ring
back.

I presume your friend is phoning you on your mobile. If it's an incoming
call on a landline, the recipient can't clear the call but must wait until
the hangup timeout has expired which is a very long time if you are
waiting to make another call. My grandma had a stroke and phoned me but
then stopped speaking. I couldn't clear the call to be able to ring 999
and get the call routed to her local ambulance centre for them to send an
ambulance. I had to go next door and use their phone. This was in the days
before mobiles, otherwise I'd have rung from my mobile.

Some deviant callers do it to cause alarm or distress -= solder a PP3
connector to a Sonalert sounder and fix it to the handset with a rubber
band.

That's posh, it used to be a whistle.

I don't know how many bits of dynamic range there are in a phone call,
but once they are all "1" that's as loud as it gets, and I think you
will find that the normal speaking voice can do that, so any annoyance
caused by your piezoelectric device will be purely subjective.

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old October 7th 17, 01:27 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham.[_12_]

now 1.5p per minute (local calls are 1.2p)

Is that what you pay? What constitutes a local call?

I pay one tenth of a penny per min for UK and US calls, I would expect
a call centre to pay a lot less

http://www.discountvoip.co.uk/calling_rates/

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old October 7th 17, 11:26 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Saturday, 7 October 2017 01:27:13 UTC+1, Graham. wrote:
now 1.5p per minute (local calls are 1.2p)

Is that what you pay? What constitutes a local call?

UK - rates were Voipfone, I pay less with another provider, but don't have a current rate card.

I pay one tenth of a penny per min for UK and US calls, I would expect
a call centre to pay a lot less

http://www.discountvoip.co.uk/calling_rates/

Will look them up - might be useful. I notice UK mobile calls are more though.

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Old October 7th 17, 06:36 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Field

"NY" wrote in message
[...]

But its so much easier than standing by the phone blowing a whistle when you
have better things to do.

Clipping isn't such a bad thing when you want to fill the bandwidth so the
pest cant eavesdrop while you let them run their phone bill up.

Old October 7th 17, 06:40 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Field

"Graham." wrote in message

now 1.5p per minute (local calls are 1.2p)

Is that what you pay? What constitutes a local call?

Back then; GPO international call rates were still influencing peoples
expectations - and what providers could get away with.

Old October 7th 17, 08:01 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_2_]

On Sat, 7 Oct 2017 18:36:55 +0100, "Ian Field"
wrote:

.. .

"NY" wrote in message
[...]

I'm told that saying 'I'd like you to know that I am not wearing any
knickers' works quite well. I had a call early this morning when I
was still in bed. I was tempted to say that I always wake up in a
state of 'excitement' and if she could do me a favour and describe her
female attributes this would be much appreciated. But I didn't.
Old October 7th 17, 09:18 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham.[_12_]

On Sat, 7 Oct 2017 03:26:36 -0700 (PDT), "R. Mark Clayton"
coalesced the vapors of human experience into
a viable and meaningful comprehension...

On Saturday, 7 October 2017 01:27:13 UTC+1, Graham. wrote:
now 1.5p per minute (local calls are 1.2p)

Is that what you pay? What constitutes a local call?

UK - rates were Voipfone, I pay less with another provider, but don't have a current rate card.

I pay one tenth of a penny per min for UK and US calls, I would expect
a call centre to pay a lot less

http://www.discountvoip.co.uk/calling_rates/

Will look them up - might be useful. I notice UK mobile calls are more though.

Yes, three tenths of a penny per min for UK mobiles, but, looking at
my itemised calls, they were the same as landline calls before 22nd
July believe it or not.

A 200% hike would be disgusting in other circumstances, particularly
when they don't inform you of it, but I'm not complaining. Well not
much.

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%