Cold caller

Old October 5th 17, 05:31 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark[_6_]

Default Cold caller

On Thu, 5 Oct 2017 09:18:56 -0700 (PDT), "R. Mark Clayton"
wrote:

On Wednesday, 4 October 2017 20:23:27 UTC+1, Ian Field wrote:
"Mark" wrote in message
On Wed, 4 Oct 2017 15:25:45 +0100, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

Hey, last night I got a call from a bloke called Chris with a suspicious
Chinese/American accent wanting to do a survey about Aquariums. Like why?
I do despair sometimes. He had hung on and put his name into my true call
device so he was not in a hurry. I basically told him his call was very
fishy and he did not get the joke but still rang off when I told him no
and
I don't keep fish. I feel sure he rang the wrong number which makes me
wonder if somebody is deliberately giving these people leads to random
numbers. His number came back to a mobile number which when rang back said
it was invalid.

Unfortunately many cold callers spoof their CLID so you can't tell
where they're calling from. My advice is to tell them to f**k off.

An ex customer (didn't pay his bill) pocket dialled me once. He hid CLID but
I recognised him talking in the background - so I put the handset on the
shelf and got back to the job in hand.

Yes someone who owed me money did this once. He was obviously in a pub. I left the phone in another room and I think it ran for a bit over an hour before his credit ran out...

Why didn't he hang up?

Old October 5th 17, 05:40 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

"pocket dialled" = had not got the keypad lock on an the phone call was accidentally made (e.g. by bashing on coins) while the phone was in his pocket.

I have a friend who sometimes does this (but he has unlimited minutes on 3) quite often, but I shout down the phone at him or hang up and ring back.
Old October 5th 17, 06:07 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

"R. Mark Clayton" wrote in message
"pocket dialled" = had not got the keypad lock on an the phone call was
accidentally made (e.g. by bashing on coins) while the phone was in his
pocket.

I have a friend who sometimes does this (but he has unlimited minutes on
3) quite often, but I shout down the phone at him or hang up and ring
back.

I presume your friend is phoning you on your mobile. If it's an incoming
call on a landline, the recipient can't clear the call but must wait until
the hangup timeout has expired which is a very long time if you are waiting
to make another call. My grandma had a stroke and phoned me but then stopped
speaking. I couldn't clear the call to be able to ring 999 and get the call
routed to her local ambulance centre for them to send an ambulance. I had to
go next door and use their phone. This was in the days before mobiles,
otherwise I'd have rung from my mobile.

Old October 5th 17, 06:33 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Richard Tobin

In article ,
NY wrote:

I presume your friend is phoning you on your mobile. If it's an incoming
call on a landline, the recipient can't clear the call but must wait until
the hangup timeout has expired

You can press redial, put the phone down, wait till it stops ringing,
and the call will be cleared.

But I believe you don't need to now - BT were going to reduce the
timeout to a few seconds to prevent the scam where you are told to
call your bank, but the scammers keep the line open and simulate
the dial tone, ringing etc and pretend to be your bank.

-- Richard
Old October 5th 17, 06:39 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

"Richard Tobin" wrote in message
NY wrote:

I presume your friend is phoning you on your mobile. If it's an
incoming
call on a landline, the recipient can't clear the call but must wait
until
the hangup timeout has expired

You can press redial, put the phone down, wait till it stops
ringing,
and the call will be cleared.

But I believe you don't need to now - BT were going to reduce the
timeout to a few seconds to prevent the scam where you are told to
call your bank, but the scammers keep the line open and simulate
the dial tone, ringing etc and pretend to be your bank.

Shouldn't that be recall?

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old October 5th 17, 08:55 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Field

wrote:

[...]

After the first time the keypad lock failed to prevent pocket dialling - I
took to leaving the battery out whenever I wasn't expecting any calls.

Old October 5th 17, 09:02 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Field

"NY" wrote in message
[...]

Some deviant callers do it to cause alarm or distress -= solder a PP3
connector to a Sonalert sounder and fix it to the handset with a rubber
band.

Old October 5th 17, 10:31 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

On 05/10/2017 18:07, NY wrote:

I presume your friend is phoning you on your mobile. If it's an incoming
call on a landline, the recipient can't clear the call but must wait until
the hangup timeout has expired which is a very long time if you are waiting
to make another call.

It depends on who supplies your telephone service. Virginmedia don't
use BT exchanges, and they clear an incoming call when you hang up.

Old October 6th 17, 01:49 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Thursday, 5 October 2017 18:07:29 UTC+1, NY wrote:
"R. Mark Clayton" wrote in message
"pocket dialled" = had not got the keypad lock on an the phone call was
accidentally made (e.g. by bashing on coins) while the phone was in his
pocket.

I have a friend who sometimes does this (but he has unlimited minutes on
3) quite often, but I shout down the phone at him or hang up and ring
back.

I presume your friend is phoning you on your mobile.

Yes.

If it's an incoming
call on a landline, the recipient can't clear the call but must wait until
the hangup timeout has expired which is a very long time if you are waiting
to make another call.

Six minutes max now. If you press recall you can usually make another call, certainly if you have three way calling as a feature.