Duty cycle and transmitters

Old October 8th 17, 09:15 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

Default Duty cycle and transmitters

On 08/10/2017 10:33, Paul Ratcliffe wrote:
On Thu, 5 Oct 2017 20:08:01 +0100, Bill wrote:

Steady Paul, or I might be forced to point out System I vision to sound
carrier spacing was actually 5.9996 MHz.

Well, I never knew that. Do you know why?
I'll (try and) remember that. You never know when it might come in
handy...

It's odd. Seemed to be the only CCIR system like that. Must be to avoid
a beat with something or other !

Actually, according to the police 400 cycles go missing every day...

But this is 400 cycles a second. That's some crime wave...

I bet it hertz
:-)

Old October 8th 17, 11:00 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver[_2_]

On 08/10/2017 20:52, NY wrote:
"Mark Carver" wrote in message
*why is it that BBC channels use 704 and all other channels use
720 pixels horizontally?

Other way round. It's to do with the extra 16 pixels that exist in
digital 576 video

So analogue video that is digitised will contain 704 pixels per line,
and BBC use this standard even for their originated-on-digital
programmes, but other broadcasters make use of the extra 16 pixels that
digital gives them?

No, you're round the wrong way still. The Beeb run at 720 (or did),
everyone else at 704. 720 runs the risk of not mopping up blanking
errors, which do seem to exist, even when there's been no analogue
iteration involved.

--
Mark
Old October 9th 17, 12:27 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver[_2_]

On 08/10/2017 19:26, Bill Wright wrote:
On 08/10/2017 16:28, Mark Carver wrote:

We've stayed in six places here in Canada, and on the TVs in the room,
I've not had one that reports the resolution mode. All the major
stations are in HD, and look good. BBC World and BBC Canada everywhere
we've been are in squashed letterboxed SD fog, goodness knows why !

This is Carver's idea of a sightseeing trip...

Be glad you're not Mrs C

--
Mark