BBC regional news in HD - surely its about time this happened?

Old September 26th 17, 06:11 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

Default BBC regional news in HD - surely its about time this happened?

"Scott" wrote in message
On Tue, 26 Sep 2017 14:43:25 +0100, Andy Burns
wrote:

larkim wrote:

the BBC still doesn't do regional broadcasting in HD.
When will this ever arrive!!??!?

Pick a random region each day, and broadcast that instead of the farting
hippos etc.

They could just broadcast Reporting Scotland, which is HD :-)

Yes, why did the BBC decide it could afford the money for Scotland's regions
to have HD studios and HD regional broadcasts, when England and Wales don't
get that. Double standards or different priorities?

How long did it take for regional news to get colour, after the late-60s
introduction of networked colour? I can remember on Nationwide when they
went over to a report from some studios (south west was one, IIRC) and it
was a dingy black and white picture. I presume filmed regional news reports
were filmed on B&W film right up to the time that the region "went colour",
to reduce film and processing costs.

Likewise, how long after the general introduction of widescreen did the
regional news have widescreen?

Old September 26th 17, 06:13 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

"Davey" wrote in message
news
That too. I find that HD has better subtitles for F1, but that's about
it.

Isn't the subtitle text the same for both SD and HD? Or do you mean that it
is rendered better and is more legible. Sometime I'll have to record
something on both SD and HD simultaneously and see if there's any difference
in the text.

Old September 26th 17, 06:15 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_2_]

On Tue, 26 Sep 2017 19:11:15 +0100, "NY" wrote:

.. .
wrote:

larkim wrote:

the BBC still doesn't do regional broadcasting in HD.
When will this ever arrive!!??!?

Pick a random region each day, and broadcast that instead of the farting
hippos etc.

They could just broadcast Reporting Scotland, which is HD :-)

Yes, why did the BBC decide it could afford the money for Scotland's regions
to have HD studios and HD regional broadcasts, when England and Wales don't
get that. Double standards or different priorities?

I'm pretty sure it's a single programme for all of Scotland. STV has
local news for Glasgow, Edinburgh and Aberdeen but AIUI not BBC.
Old September 26th 17, 06:17 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_2_]

On Tue, 26 Sep 2017 08:06:47 -0700 (PDT), Jonathan
wrote:

On Tuesday, 26 September 2017 15:22:19 UTC+1, Davey wrote:
On Tue, 26 Sep 2017 15:13:13 +0100
"NY" wrote:

"larkim" wrote in message
Even accepting that I rarely watch the BBC local news coverage, it
irritates me that so long now after HD was more or less fully
deployed the BBC still doesn't do regional broadcasting in HD.

When will this ever arrive!!??!?

While in the ideal world *everything* would be HD, including local
news, I don't mind them saying "we'll never be able to do it" as long
as they broadcast the SD local news programme on the HD channel,
instead of a static caption saying "Only available on the SD channel"
which means you need to tune from BBC1 HD to BBC1 SD and then back
again if you want to watch the national news, the local news and then
the next programme in succession.

It is better to broadcast a lower-def programme than no programme at
all on an HD channel.

Now that is sensible answer. I have not a care if local news is shown
in HD or not, but the current system is useless.

--
Davey.

And on my HD TV we can't tell the difference, so we watch everything in SD!

I find that hard to believe. I have a 14 inch CRT television in my
kitchen fed by an HD decoder and I can tell the difference there. In
my lounge wide-screen TV there is undoubtedly a difference.
Old September 26th 17, 06:20 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd

What is needed is SD-to-HD converters which are only switched
into circuit when there is no regional HD feed.

You are talking about terrestrial distribution, that has never really
been a problem.

The major cost would be for satellite, all the extra transponder space,
and centralised uplinking needing more circuits.

Angus

Old September 26th 17, 06:26 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

On Tue, 26 Sep 2017 19:13:17 +0100
"NY" wrote:

"Davey" wrote in message
news
That too. I find that HD has better subtitles for F1, but that's
about it.

Isn't the subtitle text the same for both SD and HD? Or do you mean
that it is rendered better and is more legible. Sometime I'll have to
record something on both SD and HD simultaneously and see if there's
any difference in the text.

On F1, the HD version has smaller text and black background, and so it
obscures less of the image. Since the producers are incapable of moving
the text to the right side of the screen (I have asked them, and that
is their reply), obscuring as little as possible is worth doing. It is
usually the first three drivers whose lap times and details are
partially obscured, which is of course exactly what you want to see!
Sometimes the Yellow Flag and/or SC indicators are also
obscured, just to really frustrate the hard-of-hearing viewer.

--
Davey.
Old September 26th 17, 06:27 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

"Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd" wrote in
message . co.uk...
What is needed is SD-to-HD converters which are only switched
into circuit when there is no regional HD feed.

You are talking about terrestrial distribution, that has never really
been a problem.

The major cost would be for satellite, all the extra transponder space,
and centralised uplinking needing more circuits.

So why isn't there at least the SD regional programme on *terrestrial* BBC1
HD, even if not on the satellite equivalent?

Is it simply market forces that allows ITV and other commercial stations to
have regional versions (news, adverts) when BBC can't manage it?

It's a shame there isn't a mechanism in the DVB-T/DVB-S standard which
allows broadcasters to send a command to the TV to switch it from HD to SD
and back, so that if you record from BBC1 HD you still get the local news,
albeit in SD. That would probably be even more bandwidth-friendly than
simulcasting SD on the HD channel.

Old September 26th 17, 06:33 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Michael Chare[_5_]

On 26/09/2017 13:49, larkim wrote:
Even accepting that I rarely watch the BBC local news coverage, it
irritates me that so long now after HD was more or less fully deployed
the BBC still doesn't do regional broadcasting in HD.

When will this ever arrive!!??!?

It already has in Wales. Certainly for satellite.

--
Michael Chare
Old September 26th 17, 06:38 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_2_]

On Tue, 26 Sep 2017 19:33:33 +0100, Michael Chare
wrote:

On 26/09/2017 13:49, larkim wrote:
Even accepting that I rarely watch the BBC local news coverage, it
irritates me that so long now after HD was more or less fully deployed
the BBC still doesn't do regional broadcasting in HD.

When will this ever arrive!!??!?

It already has in Wales. Certainly for satellite.

I would be cautious about referring to Wales as a 'region'. Such
terminology would certainly be received very badly in Scotland.

In BBC language Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland are 'Nations'.