A Sky, cable and digital tv forum. Digital TV Banter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » Digital TV Banter forum » Digital TV Newsgroups » uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) (uk.tech.digital-tv) Discussion of all matters technical in origin related to the reception of digital television transmissions, be they via satellite, terrestrial or cable. Advertising is forbidden, with no exceptions.

BBC regional news in HD - surely its about time this happened?



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old September 26th 17, 04:30 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 506
Default BBC regional news in HD - surely its about time this happened?

On Tuesday, 26 September 2017 14:51:47 UTC+1, Roderick Stewart wrote:
On Tue, 26 Sep 2017 06:36:16 -0700 (PDT), "R. Mark Clayton"
wrote:

On Tuesday, 26 September 2017 13:49:14 UTC+1, larkim wrote:
Even accepting that I rarely watch the BBC local news coverage, it
irritates me that so long now after HD was more or less fully deployed
the BBC still doesn't do regional broadcasting in HD.

When will this ever arrive!!??!?


The bandwidth to put every regional channel on HD on satellite would cost ŁŁŁŁŁŁŁ.


So we're effectively going to be limited to an incomplete broadcasting
system for ever?

They'll have to finish the HD system before they switch the SD system
off, otherwise the local broadcast centres will be generating
programmes that nobody can watch. You'd think that somebody important
would have thought about all this, but who knows...

Rod.


They should be able to do it on Freeview however.
  #12  
Old September 26th 17, 04:31 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,187
Default BBC regional news in HD - surely its about time this happened?

"The Other John" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 26 Sep 2017 05:49:12 -0700, larkim wrote:

Even accepting that I rarely watch the BBC local news coverage, it
irritates me that so long now after HD was more or less fully deployed
the BBC still doesn't do regional broadcasting in HD.

When will this ever arrive!!??!?


Mark Carver has explained this a while ago, I expect he'll be along in a
minute to tell us again.

IIRC it's because of the cost of upgrading the regions and the added
complexity in coding all the muxes. Funny thing is ITV manage to do it.
Is this because there are fewer ITV regions than BBC?


It's because they made a very strange decision about the route that HD
signals take between the studio and the transmitter. when they implemented
HD. If there's an established route for a region to feed its SD to its
transmitters, why not use that same signal as the HD source to those
transmitters - just modulate it as H264 rather than MPEG.

As you say, ITV manage it, so why can't BBC.

The ideal solution is HD from regions to transmitters, as for networked
programmes. But failing that, at least feed SD to the transmitters in place
of the HD.

  #13  
Old September 26th 17, 04:37 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 97
Default BBC regional news in HD - surely its about time this happened?

IIRC it's because of the cost of upgrading the regions and the
added complexity in coding all the muxes. Funny thing is ITV
manage to do it. Is this because there are fewer ITV regions
than BBC?


That's because advertisers money is spent on all the extra encoding and
transponders necessary for more separate HD regions, so those same
advertisers can buy cheaper regional coverage.

Why should the BBC waste license payers money to provide lots more
transponders, etc, which are all showing the same programmes for 23 or
more hours a day.

What should happen is the DVB-T and DVB-S specifications should be
updated so channels can change transponders/multiplexes between
programmes. This would allow the HD channels to automatically slot in
SD programmes, or take a streaming internet feed instead for even more
local news.

Angus



  #14  
Old September 26th 17, 05:32 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,799
Default BBC regional news in HD - surely its about time this happened?

On 26/09/2017 14:43, Andy Burns wrote:
larkim wrote:

the BBC still doesn't do regional broadcasting in HD.
When will this ever arrive!!??!?


Pick a random region each day, and broadcast that instead of the farting
hippos etc.


You're well out of date. When did you last see the hippos?

--
Max Demian
  #15  
Old September 26th 17, 05:37 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,187
Default BBC regional news in HD - surely its about time this happened?

"Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd" wrote in
message .co.uk...
Why should the BBC waste license payers money to provide lots more
transponders, etc, which are all showing the same programmes for 23 or
more hours a day.

What should happen is the DVB-T and DVB-S specifications should be
updated so channels can change transponders/multiplexes between
programmes. This would allow the HD channels to automatically slot in
SD programmes, or take a streaming internet feed instead for even more
local news.


What is needed is SD-to-HD converters which are only switched into circuit
when there is no regional HD feed. I suppose eventually the regions will be
geared up to send HD to the switching centres so they can switch between
regional HD and networked HD for each separate region, without needing
SD-to-HD converters.

What do BBC do about conversion for other non-HD masters? I suppose one
converter for the whole country is cheaper than one per region.

In general, is there one HD master with HD-to-SD conversion for the SD feed,
or do they make up two masters and run them in parallel to the relevant
multiplexes?

  #16  
Old September 26th 17, 05:39 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 378
Default BBC regional news in HD - surely its about time this happened?

Max Demian wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Pick a random region each day, and broadcast that instead of the farting
hippos etc.


You're well out of date. When did you last see the hippos?


Well, whatever unmemorable things have replaced them ...
  #17  
Old September 26th 17, 05:41 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,187
Default BBC regional news in HD - surely its about time this happened?

"Max Demian" wrote in message
...
On 26/09/2017 14:43, Andy Burns wrote:
larkim wrote:

the BBC still doesn't do regional broadcasting in HD.
When will this ever arrive!!??!?


Pick a random region each day, and broadcast that instead of the farting
hippos etc.


You're well out of date. When did you last see the hippos?


Now it's gurning cavers, dancers etc. It all seems very odd. I liked the
rotating globe (BBC) and the various ITV idents (Thames, LWT, Yorkshire,
ATV/Central - even the tacky Anglia silver horseman). I realise that you
can't show a clock with a second hand because of the variable delay between
the studio and any particular TV.

  #18  
Old September 26th 17, 05:51 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Layman[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 661
Default BBC regional news in HD - surely its about time this happened?

On 26/09/17 17:31, NY wrote:
"The Other John" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 26 Sep 2017 05:49:12 -0700, larkim wrote:

Even accepting that I rarely watch the BBC local news coverage, it
irritates me that so long now after HD was more or less fully deployed
the BBC still doesn't do regional broadcasting in HD.

When will this ever arrive!!??!?


Mark Carver has explained this a while ago, I expect he'll be along in a
minute to tell us again.

IIRC it's because of the cost of upgrading the regions and the added
complexity in coding all the muxes. Funny thing is ITV manage to do it.
Is this because there are fewer ITV regions than BBC?


It's because they made a very strange decision about the route that HD
signals take between the studio and the transmitter. when they implemented
HD. If there's an established route for a region to feed its SD to its
transmitters, why not use that same signal as the HD source to those
transmitters - just modulate it as H264 rather than MPEG.

As you say, ITV manage it, so why can't BBC.


But do they? I'm in the Meridian region, and usually just watch the
local news on SD. A few days ago I changed to HD during the news and it
was different. My local news is South, and I think the HD local news was
South East.

I must remember to check again sometime.

--

Jeff
  #19  
Old September 26th 17, 06:00 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,260
Default BBC regional news in HD - surely its about time this happened?

On Tue, 26 Sep 2017 14:43:25 +0100, Andy Burns
wrote:

larkim wrote:

the BBC still doesn't do regional broadcasting in HD.
When will this ever arrive!!??!?


Pick a random region each day, and broadcast that instead of the farting
hippos etc.


They could just broadcast Reporting Scotland, which is HD :-)
  #20  
Old September 26th 17, 06:10 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,234
Default BBC regional news in HD - surely its about time this happened?

On Tue, 26 Sep 2017 08:06:47 -0700 (PDT)
Jonathan wrote:

It is better to broadcast a lower-def programme than no programme
at all on an HD channel.


Now that is sensible answer. I have not a care if local news is
shown in HD or not, but the current system is useless.

--
Davey.


And on my HD TV we can't tell the difference, so we watch everything
in SD!


That too. I find that HD has better subtitles for F1, but that's about
it.

--
Davey.
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.SEO by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright 2004-2017 Digital TV Banter.
The comments are property of their posters.