A Sky, cable and digital tv forum. Digital TV Banter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » Digital TV Banter forum » Digital TV Newsgroups » uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) (uk.tech.digital-tv) Discussion of all matters technical in origin related to the reception of digital television transmissions, be they via satellite, terrestrial or cable. Advertising is forbidden, with no exceptions.

BBC regional news in HD - surely its about time this happened?



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #91  
Old October 2nd 17, 06:37 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,187
Default BBC regional news in HD - surely its about time this happened?

"PeterC" wrote in message
...
http://www.a516digital.com/2017/10/b...solutions.html


As a stop-gap, I'd be quite happy if SD versions of the local news were
transmitted in the BBC One HD slot, until there is budget to equip local
studios with HD cameras, mixing equipment and lines to the central switching
unit where the multiplexes are formed and sent to each transmitter.

  #92  
Old October 2nd 17, 07:09 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,260
Default BBC regional news in HD - surely its about time this happened?

On Mon, 2 Oct 2017 19:37:26 +0100, "NY" wrote:

"PeterC" wrote in message
.. .
http://www.a516digital.com/2017/10/b...solutions.html


As a stop-gap, I'd be quite happy if SD versions of the local news were
transmitted in the BBC One HD slot, until there is budget to equip local
studios with HD cameras, mixing equipment and lines to the central switching
unit where the multiplexes are formed and sent to each transmitter.


But BBC One forms part of a multiplex so a different HD multiplex
would need to be coded for each BBC region. Is this not where the
problem lies?
  #93  
Old October 3rd 17, 12:10 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,234
Default BBC regional news in HD - surely its about time this happened?

On Tue, 26 Sep 2017 05:49:12 -0700 (PDT)
larkim wrote:

Even accepting that I rarely watch the BBC local news coverage, it
irritates me that so long now after HD was more or less fully deployed
the BBC still doesn't do regional broadcasting in HD.

When will this ever arrive!!??!?


This was covered in a recent Feedback episode. The response was of no
use whatsoever, but the reasoning, as explained below, is quite complex.

--
Davey.
  #94  
Old October 3rd 17, 03:28 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 322
Default BBC regional news in HD - surely its about time this happened?

On 02/10/2017 14:26, Scott wrote:

I thought C4 was a single national service selling advertising on a
national basis? This would make HD and SD the same.


C5 is (used to be four regions until about 2 years ago) . C4 has six
macro regional ad areas, but only for SD. HD has just one, London.



--
Mark
Please replace invalid and invalid with gmx and net to reply.
  #95  
Old October 3rd 17, 12:19 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Peter Duncanson
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,219
Default BBC regional news in HD - surely its about time this happened?

On Mon, 02 Oct 2017 20:09:54 +0100, Scott
wrote:

On Mon, 2 Oct 2017 19:37:26 +0100, "NY" wrote:

"PeterC" wrote in message
. ..
http://www.a516digital.com/2017/10/b...solutions.html


As a stop-gap, I'd be quite happy if SD versions of the local news were
transmitted in the BBC One HD slot, until there is budget to equip local
studios with HD cameras, mixing equipment and lines to the central switching
unit where the multiplexes are formed and sent to each transmitter.


But BBC One forms part of a multiplex so a different HD multiplex
would need to be coded for each BBC region. Is this not where the
problem lies?


Isn't a major problem "platform neutrality"? The BBC is required to
provide the same services on satellite as it does on terrestrial. To
provide HD for every English region individually would need an
additional 15 HD satellite channels. News and other regional programmes
could certainly be upscaled from SD to HD but the HD channels first need
to exist.


--
Peter Duncanson
(in uk.tech.digital-tv)
  #96  
Old October 3rd 17, 12:49 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 378
Default BBC regional news in HD - surely its about time this happened?

Peter Duncanson wrote:

Isn't a major problem "platform neutrality"? The BBC is required to
provide the same services on satellite as it does on terrestrial.



It seems to ignore that when it suits, eg the number of red button
streams for wimbledon/limpbics etc

  #97  
Old October 3rd 17, 07:54 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,260
Default BBC regional news in HD - surely its about time this happened?

On Tue, 3 Oct 2017 04:28:55 +0100, Mark Carver
wrote:

On 02/10/2017 14:26, Scott wrote:

I thought C4 was a single national service selling advertising on a
national basis? This would make HD and SD the same.


C5 is (used to be four regions until about 2 years ago) . C4 has six
macro regional ad areas, but only for SD. HD has just one, London.


Thanks. I did not realise that. I though this ended years ago.
Probably because I only watch HD.
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.SEO by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright 2004-2017 Digital TV Banter.
The comments are property of their posters.