OT the telephone network

Old September 23rd 17, 07:41 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

Default OT the telephone network

Does anyone know where I can find a map showing where all the phone
lines go; the routes from the exchanges to the premises and/or the
streetboxes?

Is there a UK newsgroup that discusses such things?

Old September 23rd 17, 07:45 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Bill Wright wrote:

where I can find a map showing where all the phone lines go; the
routes from the exchanges to the premises and/or the streetboxes?

Pretty sure BT keep that info to themselves.

Old September 24th 17, 10:25 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Bill Wright wrote:

where I can find a map showing where all the phone lines go; the
routes from the exchanges to the premises and/or the streetboxes?

Pretty sure BT keep that info to themselves.

and every experience of interfacing with a BT engineer that you have will
prove to you that what they do have,

is wrong

tim

Old September 23rd 17, 07:52 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
David Wade[_3_]

On 23/09/2017 19:41, Bill Wright wrote:
Does anyone know where I can find a map showing where all the phone
lines go; the routes from the exchanges to the premises and/or the
streetboxes?

Is there a UK newsgroup that discusses such things?

Bill

I don't think is generally available, for security. The local council
may have the info for road works. As for discusion uk.telecom is
appropriate.

Dave
Old September 23rd 17, 10:21 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
Bob Eager[_5_]

On Sat, 23 Sep 2017 19:41:41 +0100, Bill Wright wrote:

Does anyone know where I can find a map showing where all the phone
lines go; the routes from the exchanges to the premises and/or the
streetboxes?

Is there a UK newsgroup that discusses such things?

Bill

uk.telecom

Not that all that information is available.

This is quite interesting but you have to click around a lot and try
stuff out. Using a postcode for searches eventually gives you cabinates
for each road, and various maps.

https://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm

But you will NOT get detail - BT don't publish it, and judging by some
engineers' behaviour, BT don't actually know it any more.

Old September 24th 17, 08:59 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Bob Eager wrote:

gives you cabinates for each road, and various maps.

https://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm

But you will NOT get detail

I think Angus readily admits the cabinet 'locations' are just centres of
postcode areas because the BT data he works from doesn't provide actual
locations, so for guidance only ...

Old September 24th 17, 11:57 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
Bob Eager[_5_]

On Sun, 24 Sep 2017 08:59:50 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

Bob Eager wrote:

gives you cabinates for each road, and various maps.

https://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm

But you will NOT get detail

I think Angus readily admits the cabinet 'locations' are just centres of
postcode areas because the BT data he works from doesn't provide actual
locations, so for guidance only ...

I meant to mention that. Personal experience shows exactly that, but I
have never found the cabinets hard to find once I know the postcode.

Google Streetview does the 'walk' quite quickly!

Old September 24th 17, 01:58 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd

I think Angus readily admits the cabinet 'locations' are just
centres of postcode areas because the BT data he works from doesn't provide actual locations, so for guidance only ...

Indeed, it says so on the page, the database chooses the post code
closed to the exchange as to where the cabinet is most likely located.

I have had offers of specific cabinet locations, but there are 80,000
odd so entering them manually, or even creating an automated system, is
not trivial. And does not actually help you get FTTC.

Angus

Old September 23rd 17, 10:58 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave Liquorice[_2_]

On Sat, 23 Sep 2017 19:41:41 +0100, Bill Wright wrote:

Does anyone know where I can find a map showing where all the phone
lines go; the routes from the exchanges to the premises and/or the
streetboxes?

For Openreach I doubt it exists or if it does it'll only be partial
and/or out of date and not publically available. Exchange locations
are a POP to find. You can easily find if a given line is via a
cabinet (and it's number) or direct to the exchange. You might also
be able to find a vague location of the cabinet.

If you are only looking for your local area the Mark 1 eyeball is
your best research tool. Cabinets are obvious. Ducted routes have a
chamber every 200 yds or so, though if in a roadside verge the covers
may well be hidden under 6" of soil and overgrowth... Non-ducted
routes you'll be looking for joint posts and/or small chambers. Then
it's a case of "join the dots" running out from the exchange. This is
probably easier to do in rural areas.

--
Cheers
Dave.