OT the telephone network

Old September 23rd 17, 06:41 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

Default OT the telephone network

Does anyone know where I can find a map showing where all the phone
lines go; the routes from the exchanges to the premises and/or the
streetboxes?

Is there a UK newsgroup that discusses such things?

Old September 23rd 17, 06:45 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Bill Wright wrote:

where I can find a map showing where all the phone lines go; the
routes from the exchanges to the premises and/or the streetboxes?

Pretty sure BT keep that info to themselves.

Old September 23rd 17, 06:52 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
David Wade[_3_]

On 23/09/2017 19:41, Bill Wright wrote:
Does anyone know where I can find a map showing where all the phone
lines go; the routes from the exchanges to the premises and/or the
streetboxes?

Is there a UK newsgroup that discusses such things?

Bill

I don't think is generally available, for security. The local council
may have the info for road works. As for discusion uk.telecom is
appropriate.

Dave
Old September 23rd 17, 09:21 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
Bob Eager[_5_]

On Sat, 23 Sep 2017 19:41:41 +0100, Bill Wright wrote:

Does anyone know where I can find a map showing where all the phone
lines go; the routes from the exchanges to the premises and/or the
streetboxes?

Is there a UK newsgroup that discusses such things?

Bill

uk.telecom

Not that all that information is available.

This is quite interesting but you have to click around a lot and try
stuff out. Using a postcode for searches eventually gives you cabinates
for each road, and various maps.

https://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm

But you will NOT get detail - BT don't publish it, and judging by some
engineers' behaviour, BT don't actually know it any more.

Old September 23rd 17, 09:58 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave Liquorice[_2_]

On Sat, 23 Sep 2017 19:41:41 +0100, Bill Wright wrote:

Does anyone know where I can find a map showing where all the phone
lines go; the routes from the exchanges to the premises and/or the
streetboxes?

For Openreach I doubt it exists or if it does it'll only be partial
and/or out of date and not publically available. Exchange locations
are a POP to find. You can easily find if a given line is via a
cabinet (and it's number) or direct to the exchange. You might also
be able to find a vague location of the cabinet.

If you are only looking for your local area the Mark 1 eyeball is
your best research tool. Cabinets are obvious. Ducted routes have a
chamber every 200 yds or so, though if in a roadside verge the covers
may well be hidden under 6" of soil and overgrowth... Non-ducted
routes you'll be looking for joint posts and/or small chambers. Then
it's a case of "join the dots" running out from the exchange. This is
probably easier to do in rural areas.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old September 24th 17, 05:39 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
charles[_2_]

In article ,
Bill Wright wrote:
Does anyone know where I can find a map showing where all the phone
lines go; the routes from the exchanges to the premises and/or the
streetboxes?

Is there a UK newsgroup that discusses such things?

you're asking for the black helicopters to come and take you away.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Old September 24th 17, 06:12 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
alan_m

On 23/09/2017 22:58, Dave Liquorice wrote:
Exchange locations
are a POP to find.

Samknows will give the exchange position and as the crow flies distance
from it as well as the telephone services/broadband carried but no
routing/cabinets details.

https://availability.samknows.com/br...xchange_search

Old September 24th 17, 06:59 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
Rod Speed

"alan_m" wrote in message
On 23/09/2017 22:58, Dave Liquorice wrote:
Exchange locations
are a POP to find.

Samknows will give the exchange position and as the crow flies distance
from it as well as the telephone services/broadband carried but no
routing/cabinets details.

https://availability.samknows.com/br...xchange_search

We can get the full street cabling detail, and the other services like
the water pipes, gas pipes, sewer lines etc for anywhere in the country.

Old September 24th 17, 07:54 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd

Does anyone know where I can find a map showing where all the
phone lines go; the routes from the exchanges to the premises
and/or the streetboxes?

BT Openreach has such an online map, showing all poles and ducts. I've
got an extract that shows my road.

You just need a contract with Openreach to use it, by spending lots of
money with them,

Angus