Digital TV Banter

Digital TV Banter (http://www.digitaltvbanter.co.uk/forum.php)
-   uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) (http://www.digitaltvbanter.co.uk/uk-tech-digital-tv-digital/)
-   -   OT the telephone network (http://www.digitaltvbanter.co.uk/uk-tech-digital-tv-digital/36319-ot-telephone-network.html)

Bill Wright[_3_] September 23rd 17 07:41 PM

OT the telephone network

Does anyone know where I can find a map showing where all the phone
lines go; the routes from the exchanges to the premises and/or the
streetboxes?

Is there a UK newsgroup that discusses such things?

Bill

Andy Burns[_12_] September 23rd 17 07:45 PM

OT the telephone network

Bill Wright wrote:

where I can find a map showing where all the phone lines go; the
routes from the exchanges to the premises and/or the streetboxes?

Pretty sure BT keep that info to themselves.

David Wade[_3_] September 23rd 17 07:52 PM

OT the telephone network

On 23/09/2017 19:41, Bill Wright wrote:
Does anyone know where I can find a map showing where all the phone
lines go; the routes from the exchanges to the premises and/or the
streetboxes?

Is there a UK newsgroup that discusses such things?

Bill

I don't think is generally available, for security. The local council
may have the info for road works. As for discusion uk.telecom is
appropriate.

Dave

Bob Eager[_5_] September 23rd 17 10:21 PM

OT the telephone network

On Sat, 23 Sep 2017 19:41:41 +0100, Bill Wright wrote:

Does anyone know where I can find a map showing where all the phone
lines go; the routes from the exchanges to the premises and/or the
streetboxes?

Is there a UK newsgroup that discusses such things?

Bill

uk.telecom

Not that all that information is available.

This is quite interesting but you have to click around a lot and try
stuff out. Using a postcode for searches eventually gives you cabinates
for each road, and various maps.

https://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm

But you will NOT get detail - BT don't publish it, and judging by some
engineers' behaviour, BT don't actually know it any more.

Dave Liquorice[_2_] September 23rd 17 10:58 PM

OT the telephone network

On Sat, 23 Sep 2017 19:41:41 +0100, Bill Wright wrote:

Does anyone know where I can find a map showing where all the phone
lines go; the routes from the exchanges to the premises and/or the
streetboxes?

For Openreach I doubt it exists or if it does it'll only be partial
and/or out of date and not publically available. Exchange locations
are a POP to find. You can easily find if a given line is via a
cabinet (and it's number) or direct to the exchange. You might also
be able to find a vague location of the cabinet.

If you are only looking for your local area the Mark 1 eyeball is
your best research tool. Cabinets are obvious. Ducted routes have a
chamber every 200 yds or so, though if in a roadside verge the covers
may well be hidden under 6" of soil and overgrowth... Non-ducted
routes you'll be looking for joint posts and/or small chambers. Then
it's a case of "join the dots" running out from the exchange. This is
probably easier to do in rural areas.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Bill Wright[_3_] September 24th 17 03:47 AM

OT the telephone network

On 23/09/2017 22:21, Bob Eager wrote:
On Sat, 23 Sep 2017 19:41:41 +0100, Bill Wright wrote:

Does anyone know where I can find a map showing where all the phone
lines go; the routes from the exchanges to the premises and/or the
streetboxes?

Is there a UK newsgroup that discusses such things?

Bill

uk.telecom

Not that all that information is available.

This is quite interesting but you have to click around a lot and try
stuff out. Using a postcode for searches eventually gives you cabinates
for each road, and various maps.

https://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm

But you will NOT get detail - BT don't publish it, and judging by some
engineers' behaviour, BT don't actually know it any more.

Thanks for that.

Bill

charles[_2_] September 24th 17 06:39 AM

OT the telephone network

In article ,
Bill Wright wrote:
Does anyone know where I can find a map showing where all the phone
lines go; the routes from the exchanges to the premises and/or the
streetboxes?

Is there a UK newsgroup that discusses such things?

you're asking for the black helicopters to come and take you away.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

alan_m September 24th 17 07:12 AM

OT the telephone network

On 23/09/2017 22:58, Dave Liquorice wrote:
Exchange locations
are a POP to find.

Samknows will give the exchange position and as the crow flies distance
from it as well as the telephone services/broadband carried but no
routing/cabinets details.

https://availability.samknows.com/br...xchange_search

Rod Speed September 24th 17 07:59 AM

OT the telephone network

"alan_m" wrote in message
On 23/09/2017 22:58, Dave Liquorice wrote:
Exchange locations
are a POP to find.

Samknows will give the exchange position and as the crow flies distance
from it as well as the telephone services/broadband carried but no
routing/cabinets details.

https://availability.samknows.com/br...xchange_search

We can get the full street cabling detail, and the other services like
the water pipes, gas pipes, sewer lines etc for anywhere in the country.

Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd September 24th 17 08:54 AM

OT the telephone network

Does anyone know where I can find a map showing where all the
phone lines go; the routes from the exchanges to the premises
and/or the streetboxes?

BT Openreach has such an online map, showing all poles and ducts. I've
got an extract that shows my road.

You just need a contract with Openreach to use it, by spending lots of
money with them,

Angus