OT the telephone network

Old September 24th 17, 08:59 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Default OT the telephone network

Bob Eager wrote:

gives you cabinates for each road, and various maps.

https://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm

But you will NOT get detail

I think Angus readily admits the cabinet 'locations' are just centres of
postcode areas because the BT data he works from doesn't provide actual
locations, so for guidance only ...

Old September 24th 17, 09:00 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave W

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"alan_m" wrote in message
On 23/09/2017 22:58, Dave Liquorice wrote:
Exchange locations
are a POP to find.

Samknows will give the exchange position and as the crow flies distance
from it as well as the telephone services/broadband carried but no
routing/cabinets details.

https://availability.samknows.com/br...xchange_search

We can get the full street cabling detail, and the other services like
the water pipes, gas pipes, sewer lines etc for anywhere in the country.

So?
--
Dave W

Old September 24th 17, 09:11 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

I don't think that exist, at least not if the cables go underground. Many
times recently they have had to use ground penetrating radar to find where
services go before redoing road junctions and/or building things. It seems
that if any maps were made of services generally in many places,
particularly in cities, its either been lost in the mists of time on nobody
can be bothered to do the research.

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
news
Does anyone know where I can find a map showing where all the phone lines
go; the routes from the exchanges to the premises and/or the streetboxes?

Is there a UK newsgroup that discusses such things?

Old September 24th 17, 09:35 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles[_2_]

In article , Brian Gaff
wrote:
I don't think that exist, at least not if the cables go underground. Many
times recently they have had to use ground penetrating radar to find
where services go before redoing road junctions and/or building things.
It seems that if any maps were made of services generally in many places,
particularly in cities, its either been lost in the mists of time on
nobody can be bothered to do the research. Brian

One of the problems is that some of the routes, if not the cables, date
from pre- copier days. If another copy was wanted then a tracer
laboriously traced all the lines from the original document on to a fresh
one. But did they manage to get all of them in? When I was a student with
the SESEB, someone wanted to increase his supply to 3 phase - but according
to the drawings he didn't have a cable run to his premises. It had got
missed by the tracewr!

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Old September 24th 17, 10:03 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Brian Gaff wrote:

I don't think that exist, at least not if the cables go underground.

Oh BT do have maps of the ducts and cables, a school-friend of mine
works for them, he has an app on his phone that shows cable runs, I
think it even has an augmented reality mode where it can show an
annotated plan superimposed on the ground.
Old September 24th 17, 10:25 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Bill Wright wrote:

where I can find a map showing where all the phone lines go; the
routes from the exchanges to the premises and/or the streetboxes?

Pretty sure BT keep that info to themselves.

and every experience of interfacing with a BT engineer that you have will
prove to you that what they do have,

is wrong

tim

Old September 24th 17, 10:46 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
Rod Speed

"Dave W" wrote in message
news

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"alan_m" wrote in message
On 23/09/2017 22:58, Dave Liquorice wrote:
Exchange locations
are a POP to find.

Samknows will give the exchange position and as the crow flies distance
from it as well as the telephone services/broadband carried but no
routing/cabinets details.

https://availability.samknows.com/br...xchange_search

We can get the full street cabling detail, and the other services like
the water pipes, gas pipes, sewer lines etc for anywhere in the country.

So?

So we do it better than you fools.

Old September 24th 17, 11:18 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
alan

On Sat, 23 Sep 2017 19:41:41 +0100, Bill Wright wrote:

Does anyone know where I can find a map showing where all the phone
lines go; the routes from the exchanges to the premises and/or the
streetboxes?

Is there a UK newsgroup that discusses such things?

Bill

In addition to the 2 urls already given :-

https://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm

and

https://availability.samknows.com/br...xchange_search

#############

Another usefule site is :-

https://windows.mouselike.org/be/?DoAction=Home

Old September 24th 17, 11:57 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
Bob Eager[_5_]

On Sun, 24 Sep 2017 08:59:50 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

Bob Eager wrote:

gives you cabinates for each road, and various maps.

https://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm

But you will NOT get detail

I think Angus readily admits the cabinet 'locations' are just centres of
postcode areas because the BT data he works from doesn't provide actual
locations, so for guidance only ...

I meant to mention that. Personal experience shows exactly that, but I
have never found the cabinets hard to find once I know the postcode.

Google Streetview does the 'walk' quite quickly!

Old September 24th 17, 01:29 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Saturday, 23 September 2017 19:41:40 UTC+1, wrote:
Does anyone know where I can find a map showing where all the phone
lines go; the routes from the exchanges to the premises and/or the
streetboxes?

Is there a UK newsgroup that discusses such things?

Bill

There was a map showing where FTTC cabinets were and similarly most exchanges have cell phone arrays on top of them and you can find these online.