Watching British TV abroad

Old September 15th 17, 02:23 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Norman Wells[_6_]

Default Watching British TV abroad

On past holidays in Spain I've taken a tablet computer and have been
able to watch the good old Beeb on Filmon.tv. Now though it seems
they've gone over to a subscription only model, which is over the top
expensive for just a short break.

I was wondering if anyone here had any experience of Mobdro or knows of
any other alternative to get what I want which is mainly on BBC1? I
don't really want to go the VPN route, again because of the cost for
such a short time, but I'd be interested in anyone's experiences. Does
it work reliably anyway or are the BBC blocking certain VPN addresses?

Old September 15th 17, 02:37 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

I've no idea if this is the case or not. Officially I'd have thought that
they could just allow a single roaming computer under the normal licence,
otherwise nobody from here, unless they are a polyglot is going to want to
view tv in that country when only there for a holiday.
Of course you could record stuff and watch it on the return. some people
might be appalled by anyone wanting to watch the telly while on holiday!

Old September 15th 17, 04:16 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Friday, 15 September 2017 15:23:58 UTC+1, Norman Wells wrote:
On past holidays in Spain I've taken a tablet computer and have been
able to watch the good old Beeb on Filmon.tv. Now though it seems
they've gone over to a subscription only model, which is over the top
expensive for just a short break.

I was wondering if anyone here had any experience of Mobdro or knows of
any other alternative to get what I want which is mainly on BBC1? I
don't really want to go the VPN route, again because of the cost for
such a short time, but I'd be interested in anyone's experiences. Does
it work reliably anyway or are the BBC blocking certain VPN addresses?

Get Kapersky Secure Connection and the Beeb will think you are in the UK (well your proxy is), then assuming you do have a licence in the UK the BBC will send the program to Kapersky's UK server and they will relay it onto you.

BTW satellite works in Spain.
Old September 15th 17, 04:53 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

"Martin" wrote in message
On Fri, 15 Sep 2017 15:37:36 +0100, "Brian Gaff"

wrote:

I've no idea if this is the case or not. Officially I'd have thought that
they could just allow a single roaming computer under the normal licence,
otherwise nobody from here, unless they are a polyglot is going to want to
view tv in that country when only there for a holiday.
Of course you could record stuff and watch it on the return. some people
might be appalled by anyone wanting to watch the telly while on holiday!

I'm sure given time, he can work out the details of how to watch BBC in
Spain.
Thousands of British expats in Spain do it every day. How else would they
keep
up with David Davis's attempts to ruin their lives?

surely the do that by investing in a large satellite dish

not something that's appropriate for a week's holiday

Old September 15th 17, 05:08 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Norman Wells[_6_]

wrote:

[...]

Not on Ryanair anyway.

Old September 15th 17, 05:37 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Tim+[_4_]

Norman Wells wrote:
On past holidays in Spain I've taken a tablet computer and have been
able to watch the good old Beeb on Filmon.tv. Now though it seems
they've gone over to a subscription only model, which is over the top
expensive for just a short break.

I was wondering if anyone here had any experience of Mobdro or knows of
any other alternative to get what I want which is mainly on BBC1? I
don't really want to go the VPN route, again because of the cost for
such a short time, but I'd be interested in anyone's experiences. Does
it work reliably anyway or are the BBC blocking certain VPN addresses?

Sling box?

We used ours to watch recorded TdF highlights whilst we were in France.
Basically it just streams the output from your PVR/tuner at home that you
can control.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Old September 15th 17, 06:32 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

"Tim+" wrote in message
news
Norman Wells wrote:
On past holidays in Spain I've taken a tablet computer and have been
able to watch the good old Beeb on Filmon.tv. Now though it seems
they've gone over to a subscription only model, which is over the top
expensive for just a short break.

I was wondering if anyone here had any experience of Mobdro or knows of
any other alternative to get what I want which is mainly on BBC1? I
don't really want to go the VPN route, again because of the cost for
such a short time, but I'd be interested in anyone's experiences. Does
it work reliably anyway or are the BBC blocking certain VPN addresses?

Sling box?

can you still get them?

I shall need one soon when I move out of my satellite equipped house into
one without (I can install the sat box at my sisters, she won't be using it)

We used ours to watch recorded TdF highlights whilst we were in France.

and French TV didn't show this!

how strange

tim

Old September 15th 17, 09:15 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Tim+[_4_]

tim... wrote:

"Tim+" wrote in message
news
Norman Wells wrote:
[...]

Not in English they don't!

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Old September 15th 17, 09:25 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David Wade[_3_]

On 15/09/2017 15:23, Norman Wells wrote:
On past holidays in Spain I've taken a tablet computer and have been
able to watch the good old Beeb on Filmon.tv.¬* Now though it seems
they've gone over to a subscription only model, which is over the top
expensive for just a short break.

I was wondering if anyone here had any experience of Mobdro or knows of
any other alternative to get what I want which is mainly on BBC1?¬* I
don't really want to go the VPN route, again because of the cost for
such a short time, but I'd be interested in anyone's experiences.¬* Does
it work reliably anyway or are the BBC blocking certain VPN addresses?

I have a house in Spain. I don't think any of the free options are
especially reliable. Mobdro doesn't actually generate any content it
just searches for content provided by others. In the past many of its
streams were just Filmon streams so these no longer work.

There is a TV Catchup app

https://tvcatchup.com/tv-guide

but that also seems pretty intermittent in Spain.

The best solution seems to be a VPN and use the native sites. Note you
may have to disable location services on your device. As well as
traditional VPN's there are also so called "SmartDNS" services which are
really proxy servers, but they just route the location critical sites
through a hidden proxy.

Lastly I have resorted to leaving a PC on at home and using TeamViewer
to connect to it and watch TV that way. It seems to work OK until a
windows update kicks in and kills it. Just building a Linux box to get
round this.

Dave
Old September 15th 17, 10:12 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Christian Redman

On Fri, 15 Sep 2017 17:53:22 +0100, "tim..."
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

I've no idea if this is the case or not. Officially I'd have thought that
they could just allow a single roaming computer under the normal licence,
otherwise nobody from here, unless they are a polyglot is going to want to
view tv in that country when only there for a holiday.
Of course you could record stuff and watch it on the return. some people
might be appalled by anyone wanting to watch the telly while on holiday!

I'm sure given time, he can work out the details of how to watch BBC in
Spain.
Thousands of British expats in Spain do it every day. How else would they
keep
up with David Davis's attempts to ruin their lives?

surely the do that by investing in a large satellite dish

not something that's appropriate for a week's holiday

You don't need "large".

We have a small one for the Motorhome. You can get tv of course, but we
often find it better for the radio. Pull up on a pitch, hook things up
and start the coffee, and you can be listening to Classic FM inside of
15 minutes.

Though it is true internet availability in France is impressive,
especially when compared to here. A lot of places offer free wifi (all
the good campsites do, or cheap), and the 3G/4G coverage is very good
even in out-of-the way places. Properly equipped you need never be out
of touch with the world.