Watching British TV abroad

Old September 16th 17, 07:52 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

Default Watching British TV abroad

On Saturday, 16 September 2017 10:35:44 UTC+1, Norman Wells wrote:
On 16/09/2017 10:17, Martin wrote:
On Fri, 15 Sep 2017 09:16:52 -0700 (PDT), "R. Mark Clayton"
wrote:
On Friday, 15 September 2017 15:23:58 UTC+1, Norman Wells wrote:
On past holidays in Spain I've taken a tablet computer and have been
able to watch the good old Beeb on Filmon.tv. Now though it seems
they've gone over to a subscription only model, which is over the top
expensive for just a short break.

I was wondering if anyone here had any experience of Mobdro or knows of
any other alternative to get what I want which is mainly on BBC1? I
don't really want to go the VPN route, again because of the cost for
such a short time, but I'd be interested in anyone's experiences. Does
it work reliably anyway or are the BBC blocking certain VPN addresses?

Get Kapersky Secure Connection and the Beeb will think you are in the UK (well your proxy is), then assuming you do have a licence in the UK the BBC will send the program to Kapersky's UK server and they will relay it onto you.

and have Russians spying on everything you do according to the US.

Isn't it a touch paranoid to worry about the Russians possibly knowing I
watched EastEnders last night?

Well try it and find out - or I might if I get around to it. (not bender's tho')

But my question was really whether proxy servers and VPNs like Kaspersky
Secure Connection actually work to get access to things like iPlayer
when abroad, or whether the BBC can successfully block them, in which
case it seems like a costly and time-consuming game of whack-a-mole to
find one they haven't yet.

As a UK licence fee payer, I feel I should be able somehow to get free
access abroad to the services I've paid for. Is there any indication
that the BBC have it in mind to allow it?

Old September 17th 17, 10:38 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Chris Green

tim... wrote:

Though it is true internet availability in France is impressive,
especially when compared to here. A lot of places offer free wifi (all
the good campsites do, or cheap), and the 3G/4G coverage is very good
even in out-of-the way places. Properly equipped you need never be out
of touch with the world.

The problem with receiving UK TV over foreign internet is that you have to
use a VPN to "pretend" that you are in the UK.

All you actually need is a proxy, much simpler if you have a system
you can get enough access to do it. I have ssh login accounts on
several systems, two in the UK and one in France. A simple one line
ssh command sets up a proxy as required, when in France I can seem to
be in England and vice versa.

--
Chris Green
·
Old September 26th 17, 07:41 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Vir Campestris

On 15/09/2017 15:23, Norman Wells wrote:
On past holidays in Spain I've taken a tablet computer and have been
able to watch the good old Beeb on Filmon.tv.* Now though it seems
they've gone over to a subscription only model, which is over the top
expensive for just a short break.

I was wondering if anyone here had any experience of Mobdro or knows of
any other alternative to get what I want which is mainly on BBC1?* I
don't really want to go the VPN route, again because of the cost for
such a short time, but I'd be interested in anyone's experiences.* Does
it work reliably anyway or are the BBC blocking certain VPN addresses?

Alternative suggestion: Get a better holiday.

We've just got back from a fortnight in Spain & Portugal, and the only
TV we watched was the news.

Andy