A Sky, cable and digital tv forum. Digital TV Banter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » Digital TV Banter forum » Digital TV Newsgroups » uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) (uk.tech.digital-tv) Discussion of all matters technical in origin related to the reception of digital television transmissions, be they via satellite, terrestrial or cable. Advertising is forbidden, with no exceptions.

Watching British TV abroad



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old September 15th 17, 11:22 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
JNugent[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 160
Default Watching British TV abroad

On 15/09/2017 16:29, Martin wrote:
On Fri, 15 Sep 2017 15:37:36 +0100, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

I've no idea if this is the case or not. Officially I'd have thought that
they could just allow a single roaming computer under the normal licence,
otherwise nobody from here, unless they are a polyglot is going to want to
view tv in that country when only there for a holiday.
Of course you could record stuff and watch it on the return. some people
might be appalled by anyone wanting to watch the telly while on holiday!


I'm sure given time, he can work out the details of how to watch BBC in Spain.
Thousands of British expats in Spain do it every day. How else would they keep
up with David Davis's attempts to ruin their lives?


In Benidorm, at least, where I once spent eight days in a rented
apartment, the flat was equipped with some sort of cable or satellite TV
which gave most of the usual UK channels.

I know UK expats in various parts of the Med who manage to have a Sky sub.
  #12  
Old September 16th 17, 09:35 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Norman Wells[_6_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 942
Default Watching British TV abroad

On 16/09/2017 10:17, Martin wrote:
On Fri, 15 Sep 2017 09:16:52 -0700 (PDT), "R. Mark Clayton"
wrote:
On Friday, 15 September 2017 15:23:58 UTC+1, Norman Wells wrote:
On past holidays in Spain I've taken a tablet computer and have been
able to watch the good old Beeb on Filmon.tv. Now though it seems
they've gone over to a subscription only model, which is over the top
expensive for just a short break.

I was wondering if anyone here had any experience of Mobdro or knows of
any other alternative to get what I want which is mainly on BBC1? I
don't really want to go the VPN route, again because of the cost for
such a short time, but I'd be interested in anyone's experiences. Does
it work reliably anyway or are the BBC blocking certain VPN addresses?


Get Kapersky Secure Connection and the Beeb will think you are in the UK (well your proxy is), then assuming you do have a licence in the UK the BBC will send the program to Kapersky's UK server and they will relay it onto you.


and have Russians spying on everything you do according to the US.


Isn't it a touch paranoid to worry about the Russians possibly knowing I
watched EastEnders last night?

But my question was really whether proxy servers and VPNs like Kaspersky
Secure Connection actually work to get access to things like iPlayer
when abroad, or whether the BBC can successfully block them, in which
case it seems like a costly and time-consuming game of whack-a-mole to
find one they haven't yet.

As a UK licence fee payer, I feel I should be able somehow to get free
access abroad to the services I've paid for. Is there any indication
that the BBC have it in mind to allow it?
  #13  
Old September 16th 17, 10:32 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 522
Default Watching British TV abroad



"Christian Redman" wrote in message
...
On Fri, 15 Sep 2017 17:53:22 +0100, "tim..."
wrote:



"Martin" wrote in message
. ..
On Fri, 15 Sep 2017 15:37:36 +0100, "Brian Gaff"

wrote:

I've no idea if this is the case or not. Officially I'd have thought
that
they could just allow a single roaming computer under the normal
licence,
otherwise nobody from here, unless they are a polyglot is going to want
to
view tv in that country when only there for a holiday.
Of course you could record stuff and watch it on the return. some
people
might be appalled by anyone wanting to watch the telly while on holiday!

I'm sure given time, he can work out the details of how to watch BBC in
Spain.
Thousands of British expats in Spain do it every day. How else would
they
keep
up with David Davis's attempts to ruin their lives?


surely the do that by investing in a large satellite dish

not something that's appropriate for a week's holiday



You don't need "large".


You do if you wish to receive the channels that are broadcast using the
"spot beam"

Which is almost all of the UK TV channels plus BBC radio

We have a small one for the Motorhome. You can get tv of course, but we
often find it better for the radio. Pull up on a pitch, hook things up
and start the coffee, and you can be listening to Classic FM inside of
15 minutes.


That is broadcast on the Wide beam along with all other commercial radio
channels and the "International" TV channels.

Though it is true internet availability in France is impressive,
especially when compared to here. A lot of places offer free wifi (all
the good campsites do, or cheap), and the 3G/4G coverage is very good
even in out-of-the way places. Properly equipped you need never be out
of touch with the world.


The problem with receiving UK TV over foreign internet is that you have to
use a VPN to "pretend" that you are in the UK.

TPTB sometimes block specific VPNs so finding one that works today can be a
game of whack-a-mole.

tim



  #14  
Old September 16th 17, 10:38 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 522
Default Watching British TV abroad



"JNugent" wrote in message
...
On 15/09/2017 16:29, Martin wrote:
On Fri, 15 Sep 2017 15:37:36 +0100, "Brian Gaff"

wrote:

I've no idea if this is the case or not. Officially I'd have thought
that
they could just allow a single roaming computer under the normal
licence,
otherwise nobody from here, unless they are a polyglot is going to want
to
view tv in that country when only there for a holiday.
Of course you could record stuff and watch it on the return. some people
might be appalled by anyone wanting to watch the telly while on holiday!


I'm sure given time, he can work out the details of how to watch BBC in
Spain.
Thousands of British expats in Spain do it every day. How else would
they keep
up with David Davis's attempts to ruin their lives?


In Benidorm, at least, where I once spent eight days in a rented
apartment, the flat was equipped with some sort of cable or satellite TV
which gave most of the usual UK channels.

I know UK expats in various parts of the Med who manage to have a Sky sub.


It used to be the case that to get UK TV in foreign parts you had to have a
sky sub (plus a suitable dish, of course)

Not anymore. Almost everything that sky offers except the sport/movie
channels is available for free - once you have suitable equipment.

And if the only sport you want is the football, you'll probably find that
everything is available on a local channel at lower cost than a sky sub
(obviously if a cricket or rugby fan you might find that difficult to get
locally)

tim





  #15  
Old September 16th 17, 10:44 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 522
Default Watching British TV abroad



"Norman Wells" wrote in message
...
On 16/09/2017 10:17, Martin wrote:
On Fri, 15 Sep 2017 09:16:52 -0700 (PDT), "R. Mark Clayton"
wrote:
On Friday, 15 September 2017 15:23:58 UTC+1, Norman Wells wrote:
On past holidays in Spain I've taken a tablet computer and have been
able to watch the good old Beeb on Filmon.tv. Now though it seems
they've gone over to a subscription only model, which is over the top
expensive for just a short break.

I was wondering if anyone here had any experience of Mobdro or knows of
any other alternative to get what I want which is mainly on BBC1? I
don't really want to go the VPN route, again because of the cost for
such a short time, but I'd be interested in anyone's experiences. Does
it work reliably anyway or are the BBC blocking certain VPN addresses?

Get Kapersky Secure Connection and the Beeb will think you are in the UK
(well your proxy is), then assuming you do have a licence in the UK the
BBC will send the program to Kapersky's UK server and they will relay it
onto you.


and have Russians spying on everything you do according to the US.


Isn't it a touch paranoid to worry about the Russians possibly knowing I
watched EastEnders last night?

But my question was really whether proxy servers and VPNs like Kaspersky
Secure Connection actually work to get access to things like iPlayer when
abroad, or whether the BBC can successfully block them,


of course they can successfully block them.

It's finding them that's the harder part.

in which case it seems like a costly and time-consuming game of
whack-a-mole to find one they haven't yet.


The BBC are a multi billion dollar organisation

the VPN operator is likely to be only a multi million dollar operation

It's going to be no less costly and time consuming for the VPN operator to
continually move each time the BBC block them than it will be for the BBC to
block them (bearing in mind that this move will affect all of their users,
even ones that aren't using it to watch the BBC)

So ISTM they have much less incentive to do it, but they still do.

As a UK licence fee payer, I feel I should be able somehow to get free
access abroad to the services I've paid for. Is there any indication that
the BBC have it in mind to allow it?


They are worried that it will allow all and sundry in ROW to "steal" access
to BBC programming

They may have a point

tim





  #16  
Old September 16th 17, 12:02 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Norman Wells[_6_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 942
Default Watching British TV abroad

On 16/09/2017 11:44, tim... wrote:
"Norman Wells" wrote in message
...
On 16/09/2017 10:17, Martin wrote:
On Fri, 15 Sep 2017 09:16:52 -0700 (PDT), "R. Mark Clayton"
wrote:
On Friday, 15 September 2017 15:23:58 UTC+1, Norman Wells¬* wrote:


On past holidays in Spain I've taken a tablet computer and have been
able to watch the good old Beeb on Filmon.tv.¬* Now though it seems
they've gone over to a subscription only model, which is over the top
expensive for just a short break.

I was wondering if anyone here had any experience of Mobdro or
knows of
any other alternative to get what I want which is mainly on BBC1?¬* I
don't really want to go the VPN route, again because of the cost for
such a short time, but I'd be interested in anyone's experiences.
Does
it work reliably anyway or are the BBC blocking certain VPN addresses?

Get Kapersky Secure Connection and the Beeb will think you are in
the UK (well your proxy is), then assuming you do have a licence in
the UK the BBC will send the program to Kapersky's UK server and
they will relay it onto you.

and have Russians spying on everything you do according to the US.


Isn't it a touch paranoid to worry about the Russians possibly knowing
I watched EastEnders last night?

But my question was really whether proxy servers and VPNs like
Kaspersky Secure Connection actually work to get access to things like
iPlayer when abroad, or whether the BBC can successfully block them,


of course they can successfully block them.

It's finding them that's the harder part.

in which case it seems like a costly and time-consuming game of
whack-a-mole to find one they haven't yet.


The BBC are a multi billion dollar organisation

the VPN operator is likely to be only a multi million dollar operation

It's going to be no less costly and time consuming for the VPN operator
to continually move each time the BBC block them than it will be for the
BBC to block them (bearing in mind that this move will affect all of
their users, even ones that aren't using it to watch the BBC)

So ISTM they have much less incentive to do it, but they still do.

As a UK licence fee payer, I feel I should be able somehow to get free
access abroad to the services I've paid for.¬* Is there any indication
that the BBC have it in mind to allow it?


They are worried that it will allow all and sundry in ROW to "steal"
access to BBC programming

They may have a point


Thank you, but in the above you're either stating the obvious or
restating the problem. I'm no closer to knowing the answer.

  #17  
Old September 16th 17, 01:25 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 522
Default Watching British TV abroad



"Norman Wells" wrote in message
...
On 16/09/2017 11:44, tim... wrote:
"Norman Wells" wrote in message
...
On 16/09/2017 10:17, Martin wrote:
On Fri, 15 Sep 2017 09:16:52 -0700 (PDT), "R. Mark Clayton"
wrote:
On Friday, 15 September 2017 15:23:58 UTC+1, Norman Wells wrote:


On past holidays in Spain I've taken a tablet computer and have been
able to watch the good old Beeb on Filmon.tv. Now though it seems
they've gone over to a subscription only model, which is over the top
expensive for just a short break.

I was wondering if anyone here had any experience of Mobdro or knows
of
any other alternative to get what I want which is mainly on BBC1? I
don't really want to go the VPN route, again because of the cost for
such a short time, but I'd be interested in anyone's experiences.
Does
it work reliably anyway or are the BBC blocking certain VPN
addresses?

Get Kapersky Secure Connection and the Beeb will think you are in the
UK (well your proxy is), then assuming you do have a licence in the UK
the BBC will send the program to Kapersky's UK server and they will
relay it onto you.

and have Russians spying on everything you do according to the US.

Isn't it a touch paranoid to worry about the Russians possibly knowing I
watched EastEnders last night?

But my question was really whether proxy servers and VPNs like Kaspersky
Secure Connection actually work to get access to things like iPlayer
when abroad, or whether the BBC can successfully block them,


of course they can successfully block them.

It's finding them that's the harder part.

in which case it seems like a costly and time-consuming game of
whack-a-mole to find one they haven't yet.


The BBC are a multi billion dollar organisation

the VPN operator is likely to be only a multi million dollar operation

It's going to be no less costly and time consuming for the VPN operator
to continually move each time the BBC block them than it will be for the
BBC to block them (bearing in mind that this move will affect all of
their users, even ones that aren't using it to watch the BBC)

So ISTM they have much less incentive to do it, but they still do.

As a UK licence fee payer, I feel I should be able somehow to get free
access abroad to the services I've paid for. Is there any indication
that the BBC have it in mind to allow it?


They are worried that it will allow all and sundry in ROW to "steal"
access to BBC programming

They may have a point


Thank you, but in the above you're either stating the obvious or restating
the problem. I'm no closer to knowing the answer.


No

I have given you the reason why they aren't allowing it now.

It's left as an exercise for the reader to think for themselves whether this
reason is an overwhelming one for the future or not (Use you knowledge of
the BBC's culture and success at IT projects here) - 10 points.

tim





  #18  
Old September 16th 17, 02:12 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Norman Wells[_6_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 942
Default Watching British TV abroad

On 15/09/2017 22:25, David Wade wrote:
On 15/09/2017 15:23, Norman Wells wrote:
On past holidays in Spain I've taken a tablet computer and have been
able to watch the good old Beeb on Filmon.tv.¬* Now though it seems
they've gone over to a subscription only model, which is over the top
expensive for just a short break.

I was wondering if anyone here had any experience of Mobdro or knows
of any other alternative to get what I want which is mainly on BBC1?
I don't really want to go the VPN route, again because of the cost for
such a short time, but I'd be interested in anyone's experiences.
Does it work reliably anyway or are the BBC blocking certain VPN
addresses?


I have a house in Spain. I don't think any of the free options are
especially reliable. Mobdro doesn't actually generate any content it
just searches for content provided by others. In the past many of its
streams were just Filmon streams so these no longer work.

There is a TV Catchup app

https://tvcatchup.com/tv-guide

but that also seems pretty intermittent in Spain.


Yes, from what I've been able to gather online, it only allows streaming
of UK TV in the UK. But I'll try it out there to see if that's true.

The best solution seems to be a VPN and use the native sites. Note you
may have to disable location services on your device. As well as
traditional VPN's there are also so called "SmartDNS" services which are
really proxy servers, but they just route the location critical sites
through a hidden proxy.


I've read though that these aren't infallible and the BBC is
progressively blocking access to servers known to be used for those
services. Hence my query about whether they really work and, if so, which.

Lastly I have resorted to leaving a PC on at home and using TeamViewer
to connect to it and watch TV that way. It seems to work OK until a
windows update kicks in and kills it. Just building a Linux box to get
round this.


Thanks for all the suggestions, but it's looking like I'll just have to
set up the video recorder before I go then, as usual.
  #19  
Old September 16th 17, 05:41 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David Wade[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 15
Default Watching British TV abroad

On 16/09/2017 10:35, Norman Wells wrote:
On 16/09/2017 10:17, Martin wrote:
On Fri, 15 Sep 2017 09:16:52 -0700 (PDT), "R. Mark Clayton"
wrote:
On Friday, 15 September 2017 15:23:58 UTC+1, Norman Wells¬* wrote:
On past holidays in Spain I've taken a tablet computer and have been
able to watch the good old Beeb on Filmon.tv.¬* Now though it seems
they've gone over to a subscription only model, which is over the top
expensive for just a short break.

I was wondering if anyone here had any experience of Mobdro or knows of
any other alternative to get what I want which is mainly on BBC1?¬* I
don't really want to go the VPN route, again because of the cost for
such a short time, but I'd be interested in anyone's experiences.¬* Does
it work reliably anyway or are the BBC blocking certain VPN addresses?

Get Kapersky Secure Connection and the Beeb will think you are in the
UK (well your proxy is), then assuming you do have a licence in the
UK the BBC will send the program to Kapersky's UK server and they
will relay it onto you.


and have Russians spying on everything you do according to the US.


Isn't it a touch paranoid to worry about the Russians possibly knowing I
watched EastEnders last night?


But while the VPN is active all your network traffic is passed through
the VPN. Your PC is also directly connected to Kaspersky network...

But my question was really whether proxy servers and VPNs like Kaspersky
Secure Connection actually work to get access to things like iPlayer
when abroad, or whether the BBC can successfully block them, in which
case it seems like a costly and time-consuming game of whack-a-mole to
find one they haven't yet.


Pretty sure its easy to automate blocking. Most of the VPN companies own
a limited range of IP addresses. When you see multiple streams from a
single IP just block it. This means it may work for a while, until
something popular is on (e.g. Tennis) and then get blocked. The owners
of the content rights probably insist they take some action.


As a UK licence fee payer, I feel I should be able somehow to get free
access abroad to the services I've paid for.¬* Is there any indication
that the BBC have it in mind to allow it?


The following link

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/h...ing-outside-uk

implies the BBC would like to allow it but because most of their content
is bought, and they only have the rights to distribute it to UK
audiences, they can't allow it. I believe that is why they have pulled
back the footprint on satellites. Its also probably why they take action
against VPN and Proxy servers, as the rights holders will want to be
assured the BBC is taking action to limit "out of area" watching.

I am also sure its the modern way of the world. Woody Allen said only
two things were certain, death and taxes. I think we can now add a third
and that is that media magnates will try and make us pay as many times
as possible for the same material...

.... I mean why does Sky and Virgin charge separately for Sport and
Movies. Even with catch-up and recordings I can only watch a set amount
of TV a year... Not that I have either...


Dave

  #20  
Old September 16th 17, 07:29 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David Wade[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 15
Default Watching British TV abroad

On 16/09/2017 15:12, Norman Wells wrote:
On 15/09/2017 22:25, David Wade wrote:
On 15/09/2017 15:23, Norman Wells wrote:
On past holidays in Spain I've taken a tablet computer and have been
able to watch the good old Beeb on Filmon.tv.¬* Now though it seems
they've gone over to a subscription only model, which is over the top
expensive for just a short break.

I was wondering if anyone here had any experience of Mobdro or knows
of any other alternative to get what I want which is mainly on BBC1?
I don't really want to go the VPN route, again because of the cost
for such a short time, but I'd be interested in anyone's experiences.
Does it work reliably anyway or are the BBC blocking certain VPN
addresses?


I have a house in Spain. I don't think any of the free options are
especially reliable. Mobdro doesn't actually generate any content it
just searches for content provided by others. In the past many of its
streams were just Filmon streams so these no longer work.

There is a TV Catchup app

https://tvcatchup.com/tv-guide

but that also seems pretty intermittent in Spain.


Yes, from what I've been able to gather online, it only allows streaming
of UK TV in the UK.¬* But I'll try it out there to see if that's true.


Last time I used it, which was July I think, soon after FilmOn went
subscription only, some channels worked so BBC1 was often OK but not
always.

The best solution seems to be a VPN and use the native sites. Note you
may have to disable location services on your device. As well as
traditional VPN's there are also so called "SmartDNS" services which
are really proxy servers, but they just route the location critical
sites through a hidden proxy.


I've read though that these aren't infallible and the BBC is
progressively blocking access to servers known to be used for those
services.¬* Hence my query about whether they really work and, if so, which.


I think its impossible to give a definitive answer as the ground changes
all the time. I see that

https://www.smartdnsproxy.com/

has 14 days free trial and was recommended by several folks on one of
the Facebook Expats in Spain groups.


Lastly I have resorted to leaving a PC on at home and using TeamViewer
to connect to it and watch TV that way. It seems to work OK until a
windows update kicks in and kills it. Just building a Linux box to get
round this.


Thanks for all the suggestions, but it's looking like I'll just have to
set up the video recorder before I go then, as usual.


I usually do that as a stop gap, but of course most things are on
catchup when you get back, except some sports where again the licence
holders don't permit it. (F1 and Tour De France both used to be like that)

Dave
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.SEO by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright ©2004-2017 Digital TV Banter.
The comments are property of their posters.