Digital Lemon clock

Old September 14th 17, 08:41 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default Digital Lemon clock

Many many years ago there used to be a catalogue company, whatever happened
to that concept? Anyway, one of the devices they sold was tthe lcd lemon
clock. It was basically a small lced clock with two prongs on it that you
put into a lemon and the clock ran.
Very silly idea. I'm not totally sure what made me remember this today.
must be my age or something.

Old September 14th 17, 09:05 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

On 14/09/2017 08:41, Brian Gaff wrote:
Many many years ago there used to be a catalogue company, whatever happened
to that concept? Anyway, one of the devices they sold was tthe lcd lemon
clock. It was basically a small lced clock with two prongs on it that you
put into a lemon and the clock ran.
Very silly idea. I'm not totally sure what made me remember this today.
must be my age or something.
Brian

You could also do that with a potato, if I remember correctly. The
potato power lasts longer than lemon power
http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives...0771.Bc.r.html

Old September 14th 17, 01:22 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Thursday, 14 September 2017 08:41:31 UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:
Many many years ago there used to be a catalogue company, whatever happened
to that concept? Anyway, one of the devices they sold was tthe lcd lemon
clock. It was basically a small lced clock with two prongs on it that you
put into a lemon and the clock ran.
Very silly idea. I'm not totally sure what made me remember this today.
must be my age or something.
Brian

The reaction of the acid in the lemon with the prongs (different metals) provides the few micro-amps required to run an LCD clock.

Old September 14th 17, 07:50 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham.[_12_]

On Thu, 14 Sep 2017 05:22:08 -0700 (PDT), "R. Mark Clayton"
wrote:

On Thursday, 14 September 2017 08:41:31 UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:
Many many years ago there used to be a catalogue company, whatever happened
to that concept? Anyway, one of the devices they sold was tthe lcd lemon
clock. It was basically a small lced clock with two prongs on it that you
put into a lemon and the clock ran.
Very silly idea. I'm not totally sure what made me remember this today.
must be my age or something.
Brian

The reaction of the acid in the lemon with the prongs (different metals) provides the few micro-amps required to run an LCD clock.

Not enough for Bill's drill thoughbut.

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old September 14th 17, 09:45 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul Ratcliffe

On Thu, 14 Sep 2017 19:50:47 +0100, Graham wrote:

The reaction of the acid in the lemon with the prongs (different metals) provides the few micro-amps required to run an LCD clock.

Not enough for Bill's drill thoughbut.

What about his tongue? :-)
Old September 15th 17, 12:09 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 14/09/2017 21:45, Paul Ratcliffe wrote:
On Thu, 14 Sep 2017 19:50:47 +0100, Graham wrote:

The reaction of the acid in the lemon with the prongs (different metals) provides the few micro-amps required to run an LCD clock.

Not enough for Bill's drill thoughbut.

What about his tongue? :-)

You on about my massive output of wisdom? If so what's my tongue got to
do with it? The only time my tongue touches the keyboard is when I lick
the gravy off.

Old September 15th 17, 03:34 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

I tried to not make that pun at the time. the answer, rather sensibly is
that there was no doubt not enough power available to make any sound or do
any mechanical movement.
I'm sure if it had the packaging would have carried the pun.

wrote in message
On Thu, 14 Sep 2017 08:41:26 +0100, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

Many many years ago there used to be a catalogue company, whatever
happened
to that concept? Anyway, one of the devices they sold was tthe lcd lemon
clock. It was basically a small lced clock with two prongs on it that you
put into a lemon and the clock ran.
Very silly idea. I'm not totally sure what made me remember this today.
must be my age or something.

Did it announce the hour by a succession of pips?

G.Harman

Old September 15th 17, 05:24 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Friday, 15 September 2017 15:34:46 UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:
I tried to not make that pun at the time. the answer, rather sensibly is
that there was no doubt not enough power available to make any sound or do
any mechanical movement.
I'm sure if it had the packaging would have carried the pun.
Brian

My solar powered radio controlled watch moves its hands and bleeps on the hour, and has been running for at least 12 years.

So a lemon could power a watch.

OTOH the lemon might not last very long or fit on one's wrist.

Old September 15th 17, 05:41 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
critcher[_6_]

On 14/09/2017 08:41, Brian Gaff wrote:
Many many years ago there used to be a catalogue company, whatever happened
to that concept? Anyway, one of the devices they sold was tthe lcd lemon
clock. It was basically a small lced clock with two prongs on it that you
put into a lemon and the clock ran.
Very silly idea. I'm not totally sure what made me remember this today.
must be my age or something.
Brian

So what about the very silly Indian idea of tgv type trains, can you
imagine the passengers clinging to the roof at 160 mph.