10s delay on Gt. North Run

Old September 10th 17, 09:24 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
[email protected]

Default 10s delay on Gt. North Run

Just curious why the Great North Run, BBC1 is not in real time at the moment. Delayed by 10s according to its digital clock at the starting point relative to my small collection of radio controlled clocks at home. I think this is a bit too much to be accounted for by digital coding delays etc.

Old September 10th 17, 10:36 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
UnsteadyKen[_2_]

In article ,
says...
I think this is a bit too much to be accounted for by digital coding
delays etc.

It could be a sign of the times. A big public event broadcast live is a
target for terrorists; a 10 second delay would allow the broadcasters to
step in and stop the broadcast of certain incidents. e.g. Bomb on finish
line, screen filled with flying body parts.

--
Ken
Old September 10th 17, 01:00 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Brian-Gaff

Maybe so, but seems to me that I've heard longer delays over the internet
between one computer and another supposedly on the same stream live.

From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to
read my posts! :-)
"UnsteadyKen" wrote in message
T...
In article ,
says...

Old September 12th 17, 04:35 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
[email protected]

On Sunday, 10 September 2017 19:01:02 UTC+1, Paul Ratcliffe wrote:
On Sun, 10 Sep 2017 02:24:48 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

Just curious why the Great North Run, BBC1 is not in real time at the moment.

It is, or as near as you can get to it these days.

I think this is a bit too much to be accounted for by digital coding
delays etc.

You think wrongly then. BBC1 HD is about 7 seconds now.

Right. Next time I'll make sure its the low definition channel. Can't remember now which it was.