BT Call Protect

Old September 9th 17, 07:33 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

Default BT Call Protect

"Indy Jess John" wrote in message
On 09/09/2017 13:37, Scott wrote:
Much as I enjoy winding up nuisance callers, I am now considering
returning my phone service to BT so I can sign up for Call Protect.

Any comments please on how effective this is? I just want to use
the
BT and personal blacklists (as I cannot block international calls
and
I am reluctant to block withheld numbers). I am interested to know
how much the 'usual suspects' are successfully disrupted.

I have a spare mobile with a number I have never given to anybody.
It gets cold calls which I never answer. The caller number is
stored and I can look at who called. Most of them are withheld.
The rest are about four (false) numbers.

The usual arrangement mentioned in newsgroups is to buy the BT phone
that has call blocking[1], because that blocks specific numbers you
put in, allows through all calls from numbers in your callers list,
and asks withheld numbers to identify themselves, only allowing
through any that do. That type of phone works on anybody's phone
service, and the "identify yourself" feature is not part of the BT
Call Protect service.

[1] I can't remember the type number, but no doubt someone who has
got one will chip in.

Look carefully. BT do two types - that described above is known as
Call Guardian. From what I can see you cannot enter a number into the
white list, it has to go through the 'identify yourself' routine
before that caller is automatically allowed through next time but I
may be wrong. The model I had that does this is a BT8500 - I took it
back.

As far as I can tell also the in-phone BT call blocking system will
not let you block part numbers - which is a nuisance (sic!) if you get
spam calls from a number where the CLI varies in the last couple of
digits.

I bought a Panasonic KX-TGF320E which is a corded TAM and DECT base
plus one portable. It does nuisance blocking superbly and will take
partial numbers but won't block anything withheld or similar. The only
downside is that it is a US-style two wire phone so if I pick up
another corded phone in parallel with it it doesn't know so if the TAM
has started it just continues.

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old September 10th 17, 08:04 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles[_2_]

In article ,
Scott wrote:
Much as I enjoy winding up nuisance callers, I am now considering
returning my phone service to BT so I can sign up for Call Protect.

Any comments please on how effective this is? I just want to use the
BT and personal blacklists (as I cannot block international calls and
I am reluctant to block withheld numbers). I am interested to know
how much the 'usual suspects' are successfully disrupted.

Since signing up to it in June - I have only has one nuisance call. I used
to get them at least once a day.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Old September 10th 17, 08:20 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Sky have one now as well. I'd imagine gradually all will have I purchased a
True call and its fine too. It of course cannot block withheld numbers as if
you do select this most companies, gov departments and the NHS will never be
able to phone you. I don't know how call protect and their ilk cope with
that. The point is that with true call it will always ask the person to say
they name before it rings your phone so if its a dodgy character, he or she
may just ring of as time is money.

Old September 10th 17, 08:25 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

That is inbuilt true call. I avoid the phones that have it and bought the
stand alone unit. It is easier to use for us blindies, and you can plug any
old phone into it or phones in fact.
It can also record calls if you want. If you get a memory card then it can
record 60 hours but that osts a bit more but if you have a cheap phone deal
you don't have to move companies to use it as long as the caller number
display is switched on.

Old September 10th 17, 10:09 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Phi

"Scott" wrote in message
On Sat, 09 Sep 2017 15:31:44 +0100, Indy Jess John
wrote:

[...]

Is it Truecall? I looked at this but discovered I would probably have
to modify the wiring of the extensions, which I don't want to do. (If
you put the extensions through the unit does this mean if the unit
fails or there is a power cut you cannot make emergency calls?).

My thinking is that it should be perfectly possible to filter at the
'server end' - quite possbily using more up to date data - so I am
interested in Call Protect and looking for comments (albeit on the
wrong group).

Mine is a 'Truecall' BT8500 with answerphone, I expect it has been
superceded by now. It works very well with approved numbers stored in a
white list.

Old September 10th 17, 11:10 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Sat, 9 Sep 2017 20:33:54 +0100, "Woody"
wrote:

Look carefully. BT do two types - that described above is known as
Call Guardian. From what I can see you cannot enter a number into the
white list, it has to go through the 'identify yourself' routine
before that caller is automatically allowed through next time but I
may be wrong. The model I had that does this is a BT8500 - I took it
back.

I have a BT8500 phone, and have set up a BT8600 for another family
home, so I know you certainly *can* enter numbers in the white list.
The normal contact list in which you enter the numbers of people you
know is automatically a white list, and any call that identifies
itself by CLI and is in your contacts list is automatically passed
through as a normal call. To you and the caller it's just like a call
to an ordinary phone. Callers are only asked to identify themselves
verbally if they have not been identified electronically.

If you have received a bona fide call from someone who is not in your
contacts list, their number will appear in the call log, and from
there you can create a new contact if you wish so they won't be
troubled by the announcement next time.

This all depends on the correct operation of CLI, so there's nothing
you can do to make it easier for people who withhold their numbers,
but serve them right for being awkward.

As far as I can tell also the in-phone BT call blocking system will
not let you block part numbers - which is a nuisance (sic!) if you get
spam calls from a number where the CLI varies in the last couple of
digits.

Perhaps they think there's a risk of false positives? Alternatively,
perhaps they've found, as I have, that there's no need for it. In
reality, after several years use, it has made absolutely no difference
whether a caller's number is specifically blocked, or they just get to
the generic announcement asking them to identify themselves. Not a
single one of them has ever bothered to get past that first hurdle.
Some days the call log is full of unrecognisable numbers and
"withheld" entries, but there's nothing at all on the answerphone, and
if I've been at home for some of them, the phone hasn't even rung; it
has just dealt with them silently. Occasionally if I'm bored I put
some of the unrecognisable numbers into Duckduckgo or Google just to
see what they are, and whenever any information is available, it's
invariably sales, or surveys, or "Have you had an accident that wasn't
your fault" etc. Some people apparently enjoy answering these calls
and trying to wind them up, but I can't even be bothered trying to
waste their time because it would also waste some of mine.

Old September 10th 17, 05:17 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dickie mint[_2_]

On 09/09/2017 13:37, Scott wrote:
Much as I enjoy winding up nuisance callers, I am now considering
returning my phone service to BT so I can sign up for Call Protect.

Any comments please on how effective this is? I just want to use the
BT and personal blacklists (as I cannot block international calls and
I am reluctant to block withheld numbers). I am interested to know
how much the 'usual suspects' are successfully disrupted.

It's not only very effective but has a useful side effect in that you
can see who's called almost immediately!

TO Recap:
Logging on to your BT online account under 'manage settings' click on
'Received calls' and there's a list of them. You then go into a call if
you want to add it to your personal blacklist.

Currently I'm suffering a hiccup which the usual nice man in India
completely misunderstands.

Listed under 'Received Calls' were 4 from a bona fide number at 0941:53,
0944:46, 0945:28, 0945:29. Now at 0940 the missus took a call from the
Doctor's and was on the line for over 5 minutes.

Now I'm wondering whether Call Protect logging was looking at the
exchange input side? Someone trying to connect but not being connected
as my line was engaged.

The Indian gentleman couldn't understand what I was trying to say.
Old September 11th 17, 08:22 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jim Lesurf[_2_]

In article , Indy Jess John
wrote:

The usual arrangement mentioned in newsgroups is to buy the BT phone
that has call blocking[1], because that blocks specific numbers you put
in, allows through all calls from numbers in your callers list, and asks
withheld numbers to identify themselves, only allowing through any that
do. That type of phone works on anybody's phone service, and the
"identify yourself" feature is not part of the BT Call Protect service.

That can be a real problem if not used with full knowledge and care. An
Aunt of our had that sort of system 'sold' to her by BT without
understanding it. As a result almost no-one was able to speak to her via
the phone and she didn't know about it. Had to send her letters to get it
sorted out.

Old September 11th 17, 08:24 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jim Lesurf[_2_]

In article , Roderick Stewart
wrote:

I haven't had to answer one single spam call since I got my phone
several years ago, literally none whatsoever.

Nor have we. We just leave them to deal with the answerphone. They just
ring off when they hear it's 'welcome' message. People we know simply speak
and we can pick the phone up if we're there.

An advantage is that this method wastes the time and money of the cold
callers.

Old September 11th 17, 04:12 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_2_]

On Sun, 10 Sep 2017 09:20:27 +0100, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

Sky have one now as well. I'd imagine gradually all will have I purchased a
True call and its fine too. It of course cannot block withheld numbers as if
you do select this most companies, gov departments and the NHS will never be
able to phone you. I don't know how call protect and their ilk cope with
that. The point is that with true call it will always ask the person to say
they name before it rings your phone so if its a dodgy character, he or she
may just ring of as time is money.
Brian

Are you sure? Our department has a presentation number, which is the
national enquiry point number, used for calls originated by any of our
staff.