Use a BT Youview box without an aerial?

Old September 1st 17, 08:21 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Chris Holmes

Default Use a BT Youview box without an aerial?

Hi All,

My daughter is moving into social housing, and the flat has neither an aerial or satellite (it's the spell checker nearly put satanic) connection.

Does anyone know if it is possible to use a BT Youview box (on a non BT broadband connection). just for the catch up services without having an aerial connected?

Old September 1st 17, 08:29 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
sintv[_2_]

On Friday, 1 September 2017 21:21:39 UTC+1, Chris Holmes wrote:
Hi All,

My daughter is moving into social housing, and the flat has neither an aerial or satellite (it's the spell checker nearly put satanic) connection.

Does anyone know if it is possible to use a BT Youview box (on a non BT broadband connection). just for the catch up services without having an aerial connected?

You can use a tv just on broadband so I would imagine a Youview box could be used as well
Old September 2nd 17, 08:19 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

I don't know about the internet delivered service, but if it uses just, say
the freely available ones like itv and bbc players then if its connected via
wifi and you can do that then it will probably work, however any
subscription services will probably recognise your ip address is not a bt
one and not let you in.
It could be of course that the software only allows bt routers to connect,
but I've never tried.

Old September 2nd 17, 09:06 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

On 02/09/2017 09:19, Brian Gaff wrote:

It could be of course that the software only allows bt routers to connect,
but I've never tried.

I have a Youview box connected to a Virginmedia router and it connects OK.

My one is connected to an aerial as well and I have not tried what
happens if you don't have an aerial connection. I have a vague
recollection that in the initial set-up it identified which region I am
in, but whether it does that via the aerial or the IP address I can't tell.

Old September 2nd 17, 11:56 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave W

"Chris Holmes" wrote in message
Hi All,

My daughter is moving into social housing, and the flat has neither an
aerial or satellite (it's the spell checker nearly put satanic)
connection.

Does anyone know if it is possible to use a BT Youview box (on a non BT
broadband connection). just for the catch up services without having an
aerial connected?

You might get away with a set-top aerial if in a strong reception area.
--
Dave W

Old September 2nd 17, 07:50 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Brian-Gaff

Somebody offered me a redundant one, but since its totally inaccessible I
declined.

From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to
read my posts! :-)

Old September 2nd 17, 07:52 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Brian-Gaff

So the term social housing really means council house or council flat,
nowadays often run by a so called non profit enterprise who could not run a
**** up in a brewery.

From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to
read my posts! :-)
news

Old September 2nd 17, 08:35 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Adrian Caspersz

On 02/09/17 20:50, Brian-Gaff wrote:
Somebody offered me a redundant one, but since its totally inaccessible I
declined.

Totally?

Youview supports an accessibility mobile phone app to control it, which
must have some users out there.

There are also plans to control it from Amazon Alexa.

https://www.youview.com/2017/06/08/y...-amazon-alexa/

--
Adrian C
Old September 4th 17, 12:39 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
JNugent[_4_]

On 01/09/2017 21:29, sintv wrote:
On Friday, 1 September 2017 21:21:39 UTC+1, Chris Holmes wrote:
Hi All,

My daughter is moving into social housing, and the flat has neither an aerial or satellite (it's the spell checker nearly put satanic) connection.

Does anyone know if it is possible to use a BT Youview box (on a non BT broadband connection). just for the catch up services without having an aerial connected?

You can use a tv just on broadband so I would imagine a Youview box could be used as well

Confirmed.

A few weeks ago when the inddor aerial was kaput, I found that the Humax
Youview box still got all the FV channels "live" and (of course) as
catch-up.

I am not sure, though, whether broadband connections are robust enough
and good-enough value to be able to stream and download all one's TV
requirements. At least Sky, as used here, offers massive download
quantities without blinking.

---
http://www.avg.com

Old September 4th 17, 12:40 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
JNugent[_4_]

On 02/09/2017 10:06, Indy Jess John wrote:
On 02/09/2017 09:19, Brian Gaff wrote:

It could be of course that the software only allows bt routers to
connect,
but I've never tried.

I have a Youview box connected to a Virginmedia router and it connects OK.

Ditto here conected (though a pair of mains-borne connectors) to a Sky hub.

---
http://www.avg.com