Samsung TV's "bricked"

Old August 28th 17, 06:42 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Field

Default Samsung TV's "bricked"

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
news
On 27/08/2017 18:55, Ian Field wrote:

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
news
On 26/08/2017 19:04, Ian Field wrote:

Loadsa humans drive that close - that's how you spot the stupid one's.

I also spot them by their misuse of apostrophes.

Still loads smarter than the dumb****s with nothing better to
do......................

There's nothing dumb about having had a reasonable basic education.

You may be better informed - but you're still none the wiser.

Old August 28th 17, 06:43 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Robin[_8_]

On 28/08/2017 15:12, Jim Lesurf wrote:
In article , Martin
wrote:

Other countries around the world have far better (generally state run)
rail systems and think were were mad.

For example?

There is some irony in your asking. You do know that the Dutch railways
have at least one UK Rail franchise and are using it to suck profits out of
the UK to subsidise their operations at home? This might be welcome news
for you, but not perhaps so welcome to passengers and taxpayers here.

You say suck profits. Others say "return on investment". The UK did it
for very many years - back in the not so distant days when UK companies
repatriated massive profits from overseas interests. I don't recall much
call from the left for that to be outlawed.

And another reason for allowing other State operators to run UK services
is that the UK proved remarkably bad at running nationalised industries.

And if you want nationalised railways back you should welcome Brexit.
The EU has been (v slowly) opening up railways to cross-border
competition and brought in a further (4th) package of directives and
regulations in 2016 towards rail operators having the right to operate
all types of passenger services anywhere in the EU, prevent
discrimination, require tendering for public service contracts etc etc.
In short, bringing rail services into the single market.

Labour and the SNP are of course very keen on staying in the single
market.

If not, cf Private Eye ad naus. This has over the years given all the info
anyone could need to really see what's happened to the UK railways over the
decades and done comparisions with other rail systems.

You are very welcome to rely on Private Eye as an authoritative source.
Sometimes it was right about things I knew and sometimes it was wrong. I
never saw how anyone could tell the difference if they didn't know the
truth in advance.

--
Robin
Old August 28th 17, 07:38 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 28/08/2017 12:27, Huge wrote:

The trouble is that to avoid London prices for housing you need to live at
least 100 miles away. That's 1000 miles a week commuting!

Let's face it, we've lost London to the alien invaders. It's always been
a ghastly place; now it's intolerable. A Muslim mayor and only 45% of
the population white British! Good grief, what a **** tip.

Seen the pictures of the gang fights at the Notting Hall 'Carnival'? No?
Well that's because mainstream media are hiding the truth from us.

Old August 28th 17, 07:43 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

"Indy Jess John" wrote in message
If they remain as trains, I wouldn't like to be stuck behind one on a
single-lane road, doing significantly less than I want to do,

on the wild Australia outback roads, the trucks *are* the fastest things
on
the road

An Australian I worked with many years ago was a bit more specific.
Keep an eye on your mirror and if you see an approaching road train, get
off the road out of the way. The road train drivers expect that to
happen, and if you don't do it then the chances are that the road train
driver won't be able to stop from the speed they are going by the time
they realise that you aren't going to get out of the way.

You will probably survive the ensuing collision, because the road train
will be braking hard, but your car might not be drivable afterwards. You
will then be offered a lift in the road train cab.

Ah, I may have used the wrong phrase when I said "single lane". I meant
"single lane *in each direction*" - in other words, one where there is room
for an HGV to pass in the opposite direction but not room to overtake it if
it's going in the same direction as you and there's any oncoming traffic.

The thought of meeting one of those things on what we call a single-track
road (ie only wide enough for one vehicle, and where one vehicle may have to
pull off the road to may way for one in the opposite direction) doesn't bear
thinking about.

I would have though that all traffic would drive at a speed that it could
stop if it met an oncoming vehicle (of any size). I suppose the overriding
factor is the reversing even a single-articulated vehicle is fairly
difficult, and reversing something with several articulations along its
length is well-nigh impossible, so the onus is always on the non-articulated
vehicle (eg car, bus, rigid lorry etc) to make way for the road train, and
to reverse to the nearest pulling-off place if necessary. The difficulty is
if there isn't a place that is wide enough to pull off the road: you need
time to assess the road and to work out whether it is better to speed up to
get to a pulling-off place that is further ahead, or to slow down quickly
and then reverse to the one you have just passed.

Old August 28th 17, 07:50 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

"Robin" wrote in message
Labour and the SNP are of course very keen on staying in the single
market.

So are many Brexit people. They just don't want *political* and *legal*
union, and a commitment to free movement of EU citizens into the UK, to be a
pre-requisite for being a member of that single market.

I also feel that it is a fundamental right of any country to be able to
determine not only the number of immigrants (temporary or permanent) it
accepts but also which countries the immigrants come from and what skills
they have. As they do in Australia.

I supported the EU and the EEC when it was mainly a union of north-west
European countries, but it has grown too large and extended too far east and
south, thereby including people of widely different standard of living, who
then want to live in a country that pays greater wages but then to be able
to send their earnings back to their home country where those earnings will
buy more.

Old August 28th 17, 07:58 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

"Robin" wrote in message
[...]

In short, I am pro-Europe but vehemently anti-EU. I want my government to
have the final say over sovereignty.

The very fact that the UK has voted in favour of exit from the EU when other
European countries don't *appear* to feel the same concerns that we do,
shows that we are different and shouldn't be so closely allied with them.

Old August 28th 17, 08:12 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 28/08/2017 18:42, Ian Field wrote:

Loadsa humans drive that close - that's how you spot the stupid one's.

I also spot them by their misuse of apostrophes.

Still loads smarter than the dumb****s with nothing better to
do......................

There's nothing dumb about having had a reasonable basic education.

You may be better informed - but you're still none the wiser.

That's a silly and meaningless response. Why not just say, "OK, fair
enough, I can't hope to battle against your superior intellect Bill."

Old August 28th 17, 09:14 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Vir Campestris

Default Railfreight (was Samsung TV's "bricked")

On 27/08/2017 22:34, Huge wrote:
n 2017-08-27, Vir wrote:

snip An obvious one
would be to dump containers at Felixstowe straight onto trains for
Birmingham etc.

Which is exactly what they do;

https://www.portoffelixstowe.co.uk/port/rail-services/

I sit corrected. Though they ought to try harder:

"Rail volumes account for around 27% of the port’s total UK domestic
throughput, rising to 50% of traffic to the North and West Midlands."

Andy
Old August 29th 17, 09:14 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

"NY" wrote in message
[...]

so did the PP

why they prefer ploughing into the car in front, rather than timing an
overtake, is anyone's guess

tim

Old August 29th 17, 09:22 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

"NY" wrote in message
"Robin" wrote in message
Labour and the SNP are of course very keen on staying in the single
market.

So are many Brexit people. They just don't want *political* and *legal*
union, and a commitment to free movement of EU citizens into the UK, to be
a pre-requisite for being a member of that single market.

unfortunately,

FoM and the SM are inseparable (apparently)

we have to choose both or neither

The CU is a different matter though As a leaver I can see the practical
advantages of remaining in that.

The disadvantages are

1) we can't then make trade deals with ROW, but whilst that is a nice to
have it is not going to be something that Britain can take advantage of in
the short term, we can give the EU another, perhaps, 10 years to get the
trade deals with the up-coming countries that it has so far found impossible
to achieve and review the situation if it fails

2) we have to sign up to the ECJ as the arbiter of trade disputes. But I
don't have a problem with that. Arbitrating a trade dispute is NOT the ECJ
making UK laws, and it annoys me every time I see the press suggest that it
is.

tim