Samsung TV's "bricked"

Old August 28th 17, 02:15 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

Default Samsung TV's "bricked"

"Alan White" wrote in message
On Fri, 25 Aug 2017 15:06:21 +0100, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

Lets hope, listening to today's news about testing driverless trucks
piloted by one driver that nobody hacks those.

According to today's 13:00 BBC One news, they will all have a driver but
the rear two just sit there. The lead truck generates a wifi hotspot
which allows the two rear trucks to drive very close to one another and
to respond faster than a human. Why not do away with the wifi control
link, do away with the two rear drivers, do away with the two rear cabs,
connect the rear two trailers to the driving truck with sturdy tow bars
and bingo!

Because the use case is for three trucks to/from different local
destinations/sources to join in convey only for the motorway part of the
journey

tim

Old August 28th 17, 02:17 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

wrote:

Lets hope, listening to today's news about testing driverless trucks
piloted by one driver that nobody hacks those.

According to today's 13:00 BBC One news, they will all have a driver but
the rear two just sit there. The lead truck generates a wifi hotspot

I hope that the actual implementation will be a bespoke protocol over a
dedicated wavelength

rather than the equivalent of apps on a smartphone phone talking to each
other

tim

Old August 28th 17, 02:18 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Davey wrote:

I had thought that, the Australians have them and call them Road
Trains. Like you, I cannot see any advantage of the proposed system
over the one already tried and tested.

I wouldn't expect the fuel savings to be /that/ much for a convoy of
three.

estimate of 10% (for the two following trucks)

doesn't sound like much, but over the whole trucking industry will be tens
of million of pounds

tim

Old August 28th 17, 02:21 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Indy Jess John wrote:

The report on the TV tonight indicated that the wifi link was concerned
with controlling the speed and distance from the vehicle in front, and
the driver operated the steering wheel.

When his windscreen is [even] tight[er] up the arse of the one in front?

yes

I don't buy that either

tim

Old August 28th 17, 02:22 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jim Lesurf[_2_]

In article , Huge
wrote:
Yes, and? I know people who commute into London from Peterborough and
Brighton. I commuted to Canary Wharf from Bedford for years (*). The
trains were standing room only from St.Albans to Kings X. The peak time
Norwich to Liverpool St. trains are full. That suggests that season
tickets for commuters are too cheap, rather than too expensive.

(* Then came to my senses and mostly worked from home.)

I changed country! :-)

When in London I had to put up with really uncomfortable commutes by tube
and train. I did try changing to using a bike, but that just gave a
different set of reasons to hate commuting.

In the mid 1980s I moved to a place where I could walk to/from my official
workplace. 20 min walk, one part being along beside a burn, and another
along a footpath with glorious views. Add in also being able to split work
between that and my home

No contest.

The best way the UK could improve both transport and housing problems would
be to build homes and foster jobs that are far from London. Stop giving
London the major share of all the subsidies for new infrastructures, etc
and spread it out. Its insane in this day and age to have so many people
making daily commutes to do work which could be done elsewhere more cheaply
and comfortably *if* the infrastructure and mindset were changed.

Old August 28th 17, 02:25 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

"NY" wrote in message
o.uk...
"Davey" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 25 Aug 2017 17:46:31 +0100
Alan White wrote:

According to today's 13:00 BBC One news, they will all have a driver
but the rear two just sit there. The lead truck generates a wifi
hotspot which allows the two rear trucks to drive very close to one
another and to respond faster than a human. Why not do away with the
wifi control link, do away with the two rear drivers, do away with
the two rear cabs, connect the rear two trailers to the driving truck
with sturdy tow bars and bingo!

I had thought that, the Australians have them and call them Road
Trains. Like you, I cannot see any advantage of the proposed system
over the one already tried and tested.

Do they only form up into a road train on a road with more than one lane?
Do they separate such that there is space for a couple of cars in between
them on a one-lane road, to allow leapfrogging of one truck at a time?

no

they are fixed together with a metal bar

If they remain as trains, I wouldn't like to be stuck behind one on a
single-lane road, doing significantly less than I want to do,

on the wild Australia outback roads, the trucks *are* the fastest things on
the road

tim

Old August 28th 17, 02:29 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jim Lesurf[_2_]

In article ,
Java Jive wrote:

London is a whirlpool, sucking in everything around it. Many years
ago The Goodies in one of their episodes had Westminster as the
capital of London, which stretched from the south coast to the north
in an unbroken metropolis ... it's turned out to be only a slight
exaggeration.

Yes. Over the decades its become a clear process of mindless feedback. As
London grows, the Government poked by Big Business chuck more money at
building ever more infrastructure devoted to cater for more London growth.
New plans tend to be for 'HS2' and 'Crossrail' to help boost this whilst
elsewhere even basic electrification that has been 'committed to' for
*decades* keeps being delayed. Loop until people wake up...

Old August 28th 17, 03:28 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jim Lesurf[_2_]

In article ,
On 2017-08-28, Jim Lesurf wrote:
In article , Huge
wrote:

I'm getting really bored with "post hoc" arguments. Haven't you got
anything better?

Actually, you are the one who has been trotting out phrases like "post hoc"
as content-free assertions.

Crumbs. I'd have expected you to know what it meant.

Yes, it's an example of the kind of latin tag that public schools teach
their output to spout as an alternative to actual content. Part of
'Rhetoric'. Alas, it doesn't work so well over usenet when you can't see
the sweeping gestures, etc, designed to distract people from noticing that
such tags used in isolation are neither a fact nor an argument. :-)

Everyone knows it really means "After the sweet course". :-)

Old August 28th 17, 05:00 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

On 28/08/2017 15:25, tim... wrote:

wrote in message
o.uk...

If they remain as trains, I wouldn't like to be stuck behind one on a
single-lane road, doing significantly less than I want to do,

on the wild Australia outback roads, the trucks *are* the fastest things on
the road

An Australian I worked with many years ago was a bit more specific.
Keep an eye on your mirror and if you see an approaching road train, get
off the road out of the way. The road train drivers expect that to
happen, and if you don't do it then the chances are that the road train
driver won't be able to stop from the speed they are going by the time
they realise that you aren't going to get out of the way.

You will probably survive the ensuing collision, because the road train
will be braking hard, but your car might not be drivable afterwards.
You will then be offered a lift in the road train cab.

Old August 28th 17, 05:03 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

In , Huge
On 2017-08-27, Indy Jess wrote:

[28 lines snipped]

It is an interesting comparison, but I note that it doesn't cover
season tickets.

When I was commuting into London I discovered that the cheapest annual
rate was three quarterlies and a monthly, with home working or holiday
entitlement filling in the gaps between. It was still expensive though
and ate up nearly all of the London pay differential.

Which is provided to you in order to cover such things.

one of "such things" is the vastly increased price of housing and therefore
mortgage repayments. If it nearly all goes on travel, then there's not much
left for the other things.

It also doesn't compensate for the time spent commuting.