A Sky, cable and digital tv forum. Digital TV Banter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » Digital TV Banter forum » Digital TV Newsgroups » uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) (uk.tech.digital-tv) Discussion of all matters technical in origin related to the reception of digital television transmissions, be they via satellite, terrestrial or cable. Advertising is forbidden, with no exceptions.

Samsung TV's "bricked"



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old August 28th 17, 02:24 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill Wright[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,012
Default Samsung TV's "bricked"

On 27/08/2017 18:55, Ian Field wrote:


"Bill Wright" wrote in message
news
On 26/08/2017 19:04, Ian Field wrote:

Loadsa humans drive that close - that's how you spot the stupid one's.


I also spot them by their misuse of apostrophes.


Still loads smarter than the dumb****s with nothing better to
do......................


There's nothing dumb about having had a reasonable basic education. I
pity those who are really dumb because they left school semi-illiterate,
and then in adult life didn't have the wit to do anything about it.

Bill
  #52  
Old August 28th 17, 09:37 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jim Lesurf[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,195
Default Samsung TV's "bricked"

In article , Huge
wrote:

I'm getting really bored with "post hoc" arguments. Haven't you got
anything better?



Actually, you are the one who has been trotting out phrases like "post hoc"
as content-free assertions. So maybe you'd need to follow your own advice.
;-

Jim

--
Please use the address on the audiomisc page if you wish to email me.
Electronics https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~www_pa...o/electron.htm
Armstrong Audio http://www.audiomisc.co.uk/Armstrong/armstrong.html
Audio Misc http://www.audiomisc.co.uk/index.html

  #53  
Old August 28th 17, 10:31 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 618
Default Samsung TV's "bricked"

In article , Huge
wrote:
On 2017-08-27, Indy Jess John wrote:


[28 lines snipped]


It is an interesting comparison, but I note that it doesn't cover
season tickets.

When I was commuting into London I discovered that the cheapest annual
rate was three quarterlies and a monthly, with home working or holiday
entitlement filling in the gaps between. It was still expensive though
and ate up nearly all of the London pay differential.


Which is provided to you in order to cover such things.


one of "such things" is the vastly increased price of housing and therefore
mortgage repayments. If it nearly all goes on travel, then there's not much
left for the other things.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
  #54  
Old August 28th 17, 11:15 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Robin[_8_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 458
Default Samsung TV's "bricked"

On 28/08/2017 10:31, charles wrote:
In article , Huge
wrote:
On 2017-08-27, Indy Jess John wrote:


[28 lines snipped]


It is an interesting comparison, but I note that it doesn't cover
season tickets.

When I was commuting into London I discovered that the cheapest annual
rate was three quarterlies and a monthly, with home working or holiday
entitlement filling in the gaps between. It was still expensive though
and ate up nearly all of the London pay differential.


Which is provided to you in order to cover such things.


one of "such things" is the vastly increased price of housing and therefore
mortgage repayments. If it nearly all goes on travel, then there's not much
left for the other things.

The idea was that Lonsdon weighting allowed a choice between living in
Lodnon or commuting. As I mentioned before, tackling housing supply is
another (and arguably better) approach than more trains and more
subsidies for trains. In the great SWT row few people have questioned
why it makes sense for so many people to commute 500 miles a week.

Commuters - especially in London and the SE - also tend to overlook the
underlying economics. If commuter fares were subsidised more then:

- more people will commute
- people will commute further
- the cost of the subsidies will increase
- there will be real economic costs, and environmental impact; and given
so many routes are already at or near capacity that includes capital and
infrastructure costs - more trains, more staff, more energy used, etc etc

Oddly environmentally aware reporters for The Guardian, The BBC et al
never seem to make this connection. Perhaps the BBC could revisit their
series of films of the London-Brighton run from this angle.

--
Robin
reply-to address is (intended to be) valid
  #55  
Old August 28th 17, 11:32 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 618
Default Samsung TV's "bricked"

In article , Robin
wrote:
On 28/08/2017 10:31, charles wrote:
In article , Huge
wrote:
On 2017-08-27, Indy Jess John wrote:


[28 lines snipped]


It is an interesting comparison, but I note that it doesn't cover
season tickets.

When I was commuting into London I discovered that the cheapest
annual rate was three quarterlies and a monthly, with home working or
holiday entitlement filling in the gaps between. It was still
expensive though and ate up nearly all of the London pay differential.


Which is provided to you in order to cover such things.


one of "such things" is the vastly increased price of housing and
therefore mortgage repayments. If it nearly all goes on travel, then
there's not much left for the other things.

The idea was that Lonsdon weighting allowed a choice between living in
Lodnon or commuting.


The trouble is that to avoid London prices for housing you need to live at
least 100 miles away. That's 1000 miles a week commuting!

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
  #56  
Old August 28th 17, 12:41 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 618
Default Samsung TV's "bricked"

In article , Huge
wrote:
On 2017-08-28, charles wrote:
In article , Robin
wrote:
On 28/08/2017 10:31, charles wrote:
In article , Huge
wrote:
On 2017-08-27, Indy Jess John
wrote:

[28 lines snipped]

It is an interesting comparison, but I note that it doesn't cover
season tickets.

When I was commuting into London I discovered that the cheapest
annual rate was three quarterlies and a monthly, with home working
or holiday entitlement filling in the gaps between. It was still
expensive though and ate up nearly all of the London pay
differential.

Which is provided to you in order to cover such things.

one of "such things" is the vastly increased price of housing and
therefore mortgage repayments. If it nearly all goes on travel, then
there's not much left for the other things.

The idea was that Lonsdon weighting allowed a choice between living in
Lodnon or commuting.


The trouble is that to avoid London prices for housing you need to live
at least 100 miles away. That's 1000 miles a week commuting!


Yes, and? I know people who commute into London from Peterborough and
Brighton. I commuted to Canary Wharf from Bedford for years (*). The
trains were standing room only from St.Albans to Kings X. The peak time
Norwich to Liverpool St. trains are full. That suggests that season
tickets for commuters are too cheap, rather than too expensive.


no, it suggests that there are too many jobs in London

(* Then came to my senses and mostly worked from home.)


--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
  #57  
Old August 28th 17, 01:02 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Java Jive[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,691
Default Samsung TV's "bricked"

On Mon, 28 Aug 2017 11:32:16 +0100, charles
wrote:

The trouble is that to avoid London prices for housing you need to live at
least 100 miles away. That's 1000 miles a week commuting!


Or further ...

Before I retired, people from the firm regularly travelled from
outlying offices such as Bristol, Leeds, or Plymouth to London for one
or two days a week. One colleague commuted to London from Abriachan,
a few miles outside of Inverness - AIR his itinerary went something
like: travel down early on Tuesday, worked the rest of Tuesday,
Wednesday, and the beginning of Thursday, and then travel back again.
I suppose the firm must have thought it worth their while to pay him
to do this, all expenses paid. ISTR he was one their hottest Lotus
Notes gurus.

London is a whirlpool, sucking in everything around it. Many years
ago The Goodies in one of their episodes had Westminster as the
capital of London, which stretched from the south coast to the north
in an unbroken metropolis ... it's turned out to be only a slight
exaggeration.
--
================================================== ======
Please always reply to ng as the email in this post's
header does not exist. Or use a contact address at:
http://www.macfh.co.uk/JavaJive/JavaJive.html
http://www.macfh.co.uk/Macfarlane/Macfarlane.html
  #58  
Old August 28th 17, 01:39 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 618
Default Samsung TV's "bricked"

In article ,
Java Jive wrote:
On Mon, 28 Aug 2017 11:32:16 +0100, charles
wrote:

The trouble is that to avoid London prices for housing you need to live at
least 100 miles away. That's 1000 miles a week commuting!


Or further ...


Before I retired, people from the firm regularly travelled from
outlying offices such as Bristol, Leeds, or Plymouth to London for one
or two days a week. One colleague commuted to London from Abriachan,
a few miles outside of Inverness - AIR his itinerary went something
like: travel down early on Tuesday, worked the rest of Tuesday,
Wednesday, and the beginning of Thursday, and then travel back again.
I suppose the firm must have thought it worth their while to pay him
to do this, all expenses paid. ISTR he was one their hottest Lotus
Notes gurus.


London is a whirlpool, sucking in everything around it. Many years
ago The Goodies in one of their episodes had Westminster as the
capital of London, which stretched from the south coast to the north
in an unbroken metropolis ... it's turned out to be only a slight
exaggeration.



go back further to Flanders and Swann on the London Borough Reorganisation;
"Lump all the boroughs south of the Thames together and call it Brighton"

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
  #59  
Old August 28th 17, 01:41 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 618
Default Samsung TV's "bricked"

In article , Huge
wrote:
On 2017-08-28, charles wrote:
In article , Huge
wrote:
On 2017-08-28, charles wrote:


[27 lines snipped]


The trouble is that to avoid London prices for housing you need to
live at least 100 miles away. That's 1000 miles a week commuting!


Yes, and? I know people who commute into London from Peterborough and
Brighton. I commuted to Canary Wharf from Bedford for years (*). The
trains were standing room only from St.Albans to Kings X. The peak
time Norwich to Liverpool St. trains are full. That suggests that
season tickets for commuters are too cheap, rather than too expensive.


no, it suggests that there are too many jobs in London


You'll be a Lefty, then?


no.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
  #60  
Old August 28th 17, 03:12 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jim Lesurf[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,195
Default Samsung TV's "bricked"

In article , Martin
wrote:

Other countries around the world have far better (generally state run)
rail systems and think were were mad.


For example?


There is some irony in your asking. You do know that the Dutch railways
have at least one UK Rail franchise and are using it to suck profits out of
the UK to subsidise their operations at home? This might be welcome news
for you, but not perhaps so welcome to passengers and taxpayers here.

If not, cf Private Eye ad naus. This has over the years given all the info
anyone could need to really see what's happened to the UK railways over the
decades and done comparisions with other rail systems.

Jim

--
Please use the address on the audiomisc page if you wish to email me.
Electronics https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~www_pa...o/electron.htm
Armstrong Audio http://www.audiomisc.co.uk/Armstrong/armstrong.html
Audio Misc http://www.audiomisc.co.uk/index.html

 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.SEO by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright 2004-2017 Digital TV Banter.
The comments are property of their posters.