Samsung TV's "bricked"

Old August 30th 17, 10:47 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

Default Samsung TV's "bricked"

"David Kennedy" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 29/08/2017 12:08, NY wrote:

I'm not sure whether the M42 ban is still in effect, but the A34 one
certainly is. Sadly it only applies to the section on the hill, not for
the
rest of the road. Many times I have driven along it, and been kept at 50
for the whole way from Newbury to Abingdon apart from that brief respite
at
Gore Hill when everyone goes mad taking the opportunity to get past the
lorries.

What's the rule on 4- and 5-lane motorways? Do they still restrict HGVs
Lanes 1 and 2, or do they allow them to use all the lanes apart from
whichever happens to be the right-most lane?

Any vehicle towing a trailer - and that includes a caravan or the next
door neighbour taking two bin sacks in a tea chest with wheels to the tip
is a) limited to 60mph and b) not allowed in the outside lane when there
are three or more lanes.

Right, so on a motorway of N lanes, all but the right-hand lane are open to
vehicles towing trailers, including HGVs? That was my question. I wasn't
sure whether on an N lane motorway, there were still only the left-most two
lanes open to HGVs. Evidently not.

So really, a 5-lane motorway is no better than a 3-lane motorway for
carrying cars, because there is still only one lane by which cars can
overtake all the leapfrogging lorries.

When I was taught to drive, my instructor gave me a demonstration drive on a
motorway near me (since as a learner I was not allowed on a motorway) and he
drummed into me the need to "read" the road behind me in my right-hand
mirror and to make damn sure than I had the ability (eg power of car) to be
able to get up to the speed of the cars that were coming up behind me in the
lane I wanted to join, and to plan this before I even began to indicate.

It is a shame the lorry drivers don't abide by this rule, and instead just
indicate and barge into the next lane at 56 mph, oblivious of the fact that
cars are coming up behind them at 70 and that some cars may even be
alongside them as they start to move.

I have no problem whatsoever with an HGV moving out to overtake a slow
vehicle like a crane or a tractor (*), because the speed differential is
great enough that they will be able to get past it and move back in ahead in
a fairly short time. What makes my blood boil is when a lorry which is
limited to 56 tries to overtake one doing 55 mph, and the differential speed
is so small that it takes them several minutes to get past, and then just as
he pulls in, another lorry further ahead does the same thing to another
lorry. On a three-lane motorway, you can at least move into the third lane,
assuming a) that traffic in that lane will let you, and b) that you are
prepared to break the speed limit so as to get up to the speed that Lane 3
traffic is travelling at. But on a two-lane road (A1 between M18 junction
and Ferrybridge; A34 between M4 junction and M40; A42/M42 north-east of
Birmingham between the M40 and the M1; A64 around York) you have nowhere to
go: the whole road is throttled to 56 mph. Having to slow down from 70 to 56
occasionally is a minor annoyance, but having to travel like that for tens
of miles because all the lorries are overtaking each other continually is
another matter.

What is needed is for all HGVs to be sufficiently powerful that they can
maintain 56 (or whatever their speed limiters are set to) on all normal
roads (excluding significant hills!) and that all HGVs have their speed
limiters set to precisely the same speed, so lorries know that if they are
up against their limiter, they will not be able to overtake, so they
shouldn't even try. This still permits them to overtake something abnormal
doing 30 or 40 but removes the temptation to overtake something that is
doing the same speed as yourself.

I once saw two HGVs overtake each other three times: A overtook B, then B
overtook A, then A overtook B and so on, without letting any other traffic
past. This was on a level road, so you can't blame it on one lorry suffering
more than the other on an uphill gradient.

(*) In the case of a tractor, I'm talking about a non-motorway dual
carriageway, because tractors thankfully are banned from motorways.

Old August 30th 17, 01:37 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Jackson[_7_]

In message , NY
writes

I once saw two HGVs overtake each other three times: A overtook B, then
B overtook A, then A overtook B and so on, without letting any other
traffic past. This was on a level road, so you can't blame it on one
lorry suffering more than the other on an uphill gradient.

One reason why this happens is that HGV A slipstreams B, and although
both are notionally limited to 56mph, A has marginally more power
available than B - and tries to overtake. As soon as A pulls out, he
starts to hit the bow-wave of B, and begins to lose the power advantage.
If A succeeds in overtaking B, and pulls in front, B is then in the same
situation as A was previously - and soon starts to overtake. And so it
continues, ad infinitum.

A long time ago, before trucks were banned from the outer lanes, I
followed three identical trucks bearing the same company's livery,
driving line-abreast for several miles on the 3-lane M1. They were
obviously playing silly-buggers. At least that doesn't happen these
days, but I can't help suspect that truck drivers do these things
because they think it's fun.

--
Ian
Old August 30th 17, 02:21 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

"Ian Jackson" wrote in message
In message , NY
writes

A long time ago, before trucks were banned from the outer lanes, I
followed three identical trucks bearing the same company's livery, driving
line-abreast for several miles on the 3-lane M1. They were obviously
playing silly-buggers. At least that doesn't happen these days, but I
can't help suspect that truck drivers do these things because they think
it's fun.

When were HGVs and coaches banned from Lane 3? I thought it was a long time
ago, but my wife has memories of a coach bearing down on her mum's car in
Lane 3 as they were overtaking something, some time in the late 80s or early
90s.

I'm sure a certain amount of the leapfrogging is is due to lorry drivers'
bloody-mindedness: "I've got to sit here at 56 mph all day long so I'm
damn-well going to make sure you are too".

Old August 30th 17, 02:43 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

[...]

has to be better than them falling asleep from boredom

tim

Old August 30th 17, 02:44 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

"NY" wrote in message
o.uk...
"Ian Jackson" wrote in message
In message , NY
writes

A long time ago, before trucks were banned from the outer lanes, I
followed three identical trucks bearing the same company's livery,
driving line-abreast for several miles on the 3-lane M1. They were
obviously playing silly-buggers. At least that doesn't happen these days,
but I can't help suspect that truck drivers do these things because they
think it's fun.

When were HGVs and coaches banned from Lane 3? I thought it was a long
time ago, but my wife has memories of a coach bearing down on her mum's
car in Lane 3 as they were overtaking something, some time in the late 80s
or early 90s.

1995

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...e-1569741.html

I think lorries were already banned at that point

tim

Old August 30th 17, 04:37 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

On 30/08/2017 10:47, NY wrote:

What is needed is for all HGVs to be sufficiently powerful that they can
maintain 56 (or whatever their speed limiters are set to) on all normal
roads (excluding significant hills!) and that all HGVs have their speed
limiters set to precisely the same speed, so lorries know that if they are
up against their limiter, they will not be able to overtake, so they
shouldn't even try.

The problem with that theory is that speeds are measured by the number
of revolutions of the wheels, as assessed from the output of the
gearbox. But the distance travelled by a revolution of the driving
wheels depends on the rolling radius between the axle and the road
surface, and there are a number of factors that prevent equal speeds
actually being equal:
The amount of wear on the tyres because less tread means less distance
covered per revolution.
The load above the wheels, because heavier loads reduce the rolling radius.
The tyre pressure, which varies according to the tyre temperature, such
that hotter tyres compress less than cold tyres.

Yours is a nice idea in theory, but it isn't achievable in practice.

Old August 30th 17, 04:45 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Indy Jess John wrote:

NY wrote:

What is needed is for all HGVs to be sufficiently powerful that they can
maintain 56 (or whatever their speed limiters are set to) on all normal
roads (excluding significant hills!) and that all HGVs have their speed
limiters set to precisely the same speed

The problem with that theory is that speeds are measured by the number
of revolutions of the wheels, as assessed from the output of the
gearbox.

How about the opposite of an F1 DRS - slow the following lorry down if
it gets 'too close' to the one in front?

Old August 30th 17, 06:13 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
James Heaton

"tim..." wrote in message
news

"NY" wrote in message
o.uk...
"Ian Jackson" wrote in message
In message , NY
writes

A long time ago, before trucks were banned from the outer lanes, I
followed three identical trucks bearing the same company's livery,
driving line-abreast for several miles on the 3-lane M1. They were
obviously playing silly-buggers. At least that doesn't happen these
days, but I can't help suspect that truck drivers do these things
because they think it's fun.

When were HGVs and coaches banned from Lane 3? I thought it was a long
time ago, but my wife has memories of a coach bearing down on her mum's
car in Lane 3 as they were overtaking something, some time in the late
80s or early 90s.

1995

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...e-1569741.html

I think lorries were already banned at that point

That fits with my recollection regarding coaches, I think it's when they
were reduced to a 65mph maximum.

Think it followed a very bad crash somewhere in the west country?

James

Old August 30th 17, 06:49 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Field

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
news
On 29/08/2017 21:51, Ian Field wrote:

Cartoon joke of a bloke in the looney bin;

You aren't allowed to say loony bin; it isn't politically correct. It's
probably a hate crime as well. You'll be lucky to wake up in your own bed
tomorrow.

Scary!!! - I could end up in the same cell with you....................

Old August 30th 17, 09:17 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Peter Duncanson

On Wed, 30 Aug 2017 18:49:28 +0100, "Ian Field"
wrote:

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
news
On 29/08/2017 21:51, Ian Field wrote:

Cartoon joke of a bloke in the looney bin;

You aren't allowed to say loony bin; it isn't politically correct. It's
probably a hate crime as well. You'll be lucky to wake up in your own bed
tomorrow.

Scary!!! - I could end up in the same cell with you....................

a cell in the loony bin?

--
Peter Duncanson
(in uk.tech.digital-tv)