Polaroid (ASDA) TVs

Old September 5th 17, 11:41 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
AnthonyL

Default Polaroid (ASDA) TVs

On 3 Sep 2017 15:46:29 GMT, David wrote:

On Sun, 03 Sep 2017 15:42:11 +0000, David wrote:

On Thu, 31 Aug 2017 21:04:44 +0000, AnthonyL wrote:

On 31 Aug 2017 19:44:13 GMT, David wrote:

On Thu, 24 Aug 2017 13:27:03 +0100, Bill Wright wrote:

On 24/08/2017 12:47, AnthonyL wrote:
Anyone any experience of these Polaroid TVs?

50" Full HD Smart LED at £299.

The old 28" is just too small especially for sports. Not bothered
about internet connectivity as not fast enough broadband.

Dreadful tellys

Bill

Which? tends to agree with you.

I'm a subscriber and I couldn't find any reference to Polaroid TVs,
where/how did you find them?

They did a round up recently and said that they only had one Best Buy
(IIRC) from all the badge engineered TVs from Turkey, which I think
includes Vestel and the Polaroid.

All the rest of the Best Buys were from the usual suspects who make
their own TVs e.g. Pansonic, Samsung, LG.

I'll have a look around and see if I can find the article; I think it
was in the last couple of months.

Which says:

"Four brands dominate the TV market: Samsung, LG, Sony and Panasonic.
But some less well-known TVs manufacturers – the likes of Bush, JVC and
Celcus – may catch your eye with prices that are difficult to refuse.
Is it ever worth punting for one of these smaller brands?
Well, the numbers speak for themselves.
Between June 2014 and June 2017, we reviewed 616 TVs from Samsung, LG,
Sony and Panasonic.
They have a respectable average test score of 64% and 147 of those have
been deemed worthy of a Best Buy.
We’ve tested 124 TVs from other brands.
But these only manage a lowly 46% average test score, just marginally
above the Don’t Buy mark.
In fact, 45% have been judged to be Don’t Buys. And the number of Best
Buys? Merely one.

Read mo http://www.which.co.uk/reviews/telev...ticle/best-tv-
deals-in-the-uk-for-2017 - Which?"

This was in the latest email so the full article is probably in the latest
paper copy.

Cheers

Thanks for the pointer. Silly me - I searched ASDA and didn't find
anything so I've looked at your article on-line which doesn't state
which one crept into the Best Buy so I then went through all the Best
Buys and Don't Buys on-line and still no mention.

I'll try reading the magazine but I suspect I've already tried that -
hence my need to post on here in the first place.

--
AnthonyL
Old September 5th 17, 12:45 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

On 31 Aug 2017 19:44:13 GMT, wrote:

[...]

I looked at the printed September review, and there was no mention of
Polaroid. Then I looked at the August summary of TV recommendations and
there was again no mention of Polaroid.

So I logged into the Which? website and did a search on Polaroid TV, and
found
quote
Polaroid MSDV3233-U3 review

Not tested

32"View specifications

Typical price
0.00

Polaroid TVs are sold mainly at supermarket chain Asda. For very
affordable prices, you can get a small TV with a built-in DVD player, or
even a large screen Polaroid TV for a living room. However, whenever we
test Polaroid TVs in the lab they tend to struggle, and sometimes are
named Don't Buy TVs. We typically find problems across picture and sound
quality, plus ease of use.

What's the screen like?

This TVs screen size is well-suited for smaller living rooms or a
second room - such as a bedroom or kitchen. Its best watched at a
viewing distance of between one and two meters.

This TV has an LED screen. LED TVs are typically slimmer and more energy
efficient than LCD or plasma TVs, and they tend to have brighter,
crisper pictures, too. Manufacturers now favour LED over other screen
types for the majority of their new models. Confusingly, LED TVs still
required a LCD layer to direct light to different areas of the screen -
they differ from 'traditional' LCD screens as they are backlit by LEDs
rather than flourescent lamps.

What can I watch?

Like most TVs, this set has an integrated Freeview tuner, meaning it
will pick up free-to-view digital channels through a TV aerial without
the need for an external Freeview box. Freeview gives you access to up
to 24 radio stations and around 50 standard-definition TV channels,
including the traditional terrestrial channels, plus channels launched
or made available for free since the advent of digital, such as BBC
Four, BBC News 24, Film4, ITV2, ITV3 and Sky News.

This TV has a Freeview HD tuner, meaning you wont need an extra box to
receive high-definition, free-to-view digital channels - just plug in
your regular TV aerial and you're ready to watch. There are over 10 HD
channels available on Freeview, including BBC One HD, BBC Two HD, ITV HD
and Channel 4 HD.

This isnt a smart TV, so you wont be able to enjoy web-based services
such as catch-up TV (from BBC iPlayer for example), film subscription
services such as Amazon or Netflix, or browse the internet.

Should I buy it?

Here's what we do know about the Polaroid MSDV3233-U3
Summary
Screen size 32
Height 52
Width 81
Depth 14
Weight 6.1

Screen type
Display type LCD
Backlight LED
Screen resolution 1366 x 768

end quote

If you are a member and you log in, this is found under
http://www.which.co.uk/reviews/telev...oid-msdv3233u3

That was the only mention of Polaroid TV using the Which? article search.

Old September 7th 17, 08:40 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
AnthonyL

On Tue, 05 Sep 2017 13:45:35 +0100, Indy Jess John
wrote:

On 05/09/2017 12:41, AnthonyL wrote:

If you are a member and you log in, this is found under
http://www.which.co.uk/reviews/telev...oid-msdv3233u3

That was the only mention of Polaroid TV using the Which? article search.

Yes about as much use as a chocolate teapot.

And just about as bad is the headline on the current on-line version
regarding the new Aldi 49" tv - basically - we haven't tested it but
we don't rate budget TVs very much anyway so it's not likely to be any
good. And I pay how much a year for these pearls of wisdom?

--
AnthonyL
Old September 7th 17, 12:48 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

wrote:

On 05/09/2017 12:41, AnthonyL wrote:

If you are a member and you log in, this is found under
http://www.which.co.uk/reviews/telev...oid-msdv3233u3

That was the only mention of Polaroid TV using the Which? article search.

Yes about as much use as a chocolate teapot.

And just about as bad is the headline on the current on-line version
regarding the new Aldi 49" tv - basically - we haven't tested it but
we don't rate budget TVs very much anyway so it's not likely to be any
good. And I pay how much a year for these pearls of wisdom?

and define "any good"

As I have said, I have one of these budget TV's on in the corner of the room
right now

and

sometimes I have to turn the sound up a bit

and sometimes I have to fiddle with the brightness and contrast on some of
these moody historical dramas.

but what the heck, basically it works fine and I have 500 pounds in my
wallet that I otherwise might not have had

tim

Old September 8th 17, 11:54 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

On 07/09/2017 13:48, tim... wrote:

and sometimes I have to fiddle with the brightness and contrast on some of
these moody historical dramas.

Most people who can be bothered do that. Such programmes are broadcast
too dark to view the details properly.

Old September 9th 17, 09:02 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
AnthonyL

[...]

So I've started to look for the recommended TVs in September's issue.
They just are not available, eg the Samsung UE50KU6000 which is just
the right size (50") is only listed on Amazon and not at any of the
major high street retailers. This has happened to me before when I
wanted a washing machine and the recently reviewed Bosch wasn't
anywhere to be found.

So how do Which decide which models to test? Those given to them by
the manufacturer?

Now given that 48% of Samsungs are best buys, that means 52% of
Samsungs may not be best buys so buying a model that isn't on their
list carries a risk.

--
AnthonyL
Old September 9th 17, 11:51 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

On 09/09/2017 10:02, AnthonyL wrote:

So I've started to look for the recommended TVs in September's issue.
They just are not available, eg the Samsung UE50KU6000 which is just
the right size (50") is only listed on Amazon and not at any of the
major high street retailers. This has happened to me before when I
wanted a washing machine and the recently reviewed Bosch wasn't
anywhere to be found.

I did a search of UK sites and found that Argos can supply a user manual
for the Samsung UE50KU6000 but the television is not currently listed as
a stock item. It does suggest that it might be added to the catalogue
at a later date.

Old September 9th 17, 04:34 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave W

"Indy Jess John" wrote in message
On 09/09/2017 10:02, AnthonyL wrote:

So I've started to look for the recommended TVs in September's issue.
They just are not available, eg the Samsung UE50KU6000 which is just
the right size (50") is only listed on Amazon and not at any of the
major high street retailers. This has happened to me before when I
wanted a washing machine and the recently reviewed Bosch wasn't
anywhere to be found.

I did a search of UK sites and found that Argos can supply a user manual
for the Samsung UE50KU6000 but the television is not currently listed as a
stock item. It does suggest that it might be added to the catalogue at a
later date.

Jim

It suggests to me that Argos no longer sells it but stocks the manual for
people who bought one.
--
Dave W

Old September 10th 17, 11:51 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
AnthonyL

On 2017-09-09, AnthonyL wrote:

[63 lines snipped]

So I've started to look for the recommended TVs in September's issue.
They just are not available, eg the Samsung

Don't buy a Samsung. They're ****.

You're not related to Bill Wright by any chance?

--
AnthonyL