Polaroid (ASDA) TVs

Old September 4th 17, 12:45 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

Default Polaroid (ASDA) TVs

"AnthonyL" wrote in message
On Mon, 28 Aug 2017 17:02:06 +0200, "tim..."
wrote:

"AnthonyL" wrote in message
On Thu, 24 Aug 2017 22:07:56 +0100, "johnt"
wrote:

"AnthonyL" wrote in message
Anyone any experience of these Polaroid TVs?

50" Full HD Smart LED at 299.

The old 28" is just too small especially for sports. Not bothered
about internet connectivity as not fast enough broadband.

There is a review (of sorts) he
http://www.product-reviews.net/2016/...pport-warning/
.....but 299 for a 50 inch TV does sound rather low. I tend to the view
that you pay for what you get.

Well yea - they want people to send in their comments because ...
ermm ... they haven't reviewed it.

Which? don't have anything on the "Polaroid" TV range which is
annoying as they appear to be made by Vestel is quoted as:

"Vestel is currently the largest manufacturer of televisions in Europe
and that also makes it one of the biggest TV manufacturers in the
world. Founded in 1984 the Turkish company has long been committed to
creating high volume goods, but has always had an eye towards the
future."

Given that other major consumer outlets would also use them a bit more
objective appraisal beyond Bill Wright's throwaway comment might be
more useful.

Vestel PVR's were feature-wise some of the best in the market and they
have
an excellent attitude towards usability testing.

unfortunately their power supply components were not so good

after 2 years your box would be scrap as replacing the power supply board
costs more than buying a new machine - they now come with external power
supplies

As a comparison my Hummy bought a year later is still going after 7 years,
but has ridiculous bugs in the user interface that they have no interest
in
correcting

Interesting as the Topfields also had some [email protected] power supply
components, there's a list of 8 or 9 capacitors which can be purchased
as a kit which I've done.

I don't think that the average user can be expected to solder on a few
capacitors

at worst they might be willing to replace the complete board. but the
replacement price of that board precluded that as a sensible solution

there's no reason for that

Replacement parts don't need to be sold as part of their own profit centre
at 4 times the build cost. They could be sold at a very small margin over
cost and consider the rest as part of the marketing costs of gaining a
reputation for being a fair company

Having suffered this failure, I will never buy a Vestel recorder again

tim

Old September 4th 17, 12:48 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

"David" wrote in message
On Thu, 31 Aug 2017 21:04:44 +0000, AnthonyL wrote:

On 31 Aug 2017 19:44:13 GMT, David wrote:

On Thu, 24 Aug 2017 13:27:03 +0100, Bill Wright wrote:

On 24/08/2017 12:47, AnthonyL wrote:
Anyone any experience of these Polaroid TVs?

50" Full HD Smart LED at £299.

The old 28" is just too small especially for sports. Not bothered
about internet connectivity as not fast enough broadband.

Dreadful tellys

Bill

Which? tends to agree with you.

I'm a subscriber and I couldn't find any reference to Polaroid TVs,
where/how did you find them?

They did a round up recently and said that they only had one Best Buy
(IIRC) from all the badge engineered TVs from Turkey, which I think
includes Vestel and the Polaroid.

All the rest of the Best Buys were from the usual suspects who make their
own TVs e.g. Pansonic, Samsung, LG.

but "not a best buy" does not equal "dreadful telly".

It could have missed being a best buy because it lacked one tiny feature
that a similar priced telly had, even though in every other area it
performed perfectly

tim

Old September 4th 17, 01:02 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

"David" wrote in message
On Sun, 03 Sep 2017 15:42:11 +0000, David wrote:

[...]

I'll have a look around and see if I can find the article; I think it
was in the last couple of months.

Which says:

"Four brands dominate the TV market: Samsung, LG, Sony and Panasonic.
But some less well-known TVs manufacturers – the likes of Bush, JVC and
Celcus – may catch your eye with prices that are difficult to refuse.
Is it ever worth punting for one of these smaller brands?
Well, the numbers speak for themselves.
Between June 2014 and June 2017, we reviewed 616 TVs from Samsung, LG,
Sony and Panasonic.
They have a respectable average test score of 64% and 147 of those have
been deemed worthy of a Best Buy.
We’ve tested 124 TVs from other brands.
But these only manage a lowly 46% average test score, just marginally
above the Don’t Buy mark.
In fact, 45% have been judged to be Don’t Buys. And the number of Best
Buys? Merely one.

if which's scores go from 64% equals best in class

to 45% don't touch with barge pole (despite being less than half the price)

there is something serious wrong with Which's scoring IMHO.

I'd quite happily buy a 50% less "good" telly for a 75% costs saving

Which really have to take into account the cost of electronic items when
they compare them and not just pitch that the extras that you get with the
the most expensive make that always the best (assuming that it does perform
well)

They don't so this with cars and say you should never ever buy a Ford Fiesta
because a BMW 5 Series performs so much better, they accept that the Fiesta
only competes in the market with other small minis at circa 15K and rank
them accordingly

they should do the same with electronic items

It's because they didn't do this 20 years ago that I stopped being a
subscriber, and it seems they still do it now

If I'm in the market for a 200 pound telly, I want to know the best 200
pound telly

I don't want some smart arse techno-snob telling me that all 200 pound
tellies are useless and that I should spend 800 pounds.

tim

Old September 4th 17, 08:46 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Field

"Mike" wrote in message
Ian Field wrote:

It's up to at least 13 caps now, basically everything but the big
fat one across the rectified mains!

To add to my other comment - anything with a PFC front end presents a
different situation.

True: But fortunately not relevant to the Topfield, it's a regular
SMPSU (common mode choke, filter caps, bridge, reservoir - chip).

The common mode choke has nothing to do with PFC either.

Old September 4th 17, 08:48 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Field

"tim..." wrote in message
news

wrote:

"AnthonyL" wrote in message
[...]

"they all do that sir..........."

Old September 4th 17, 08:55 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Field

"Mike" wrote in message
Ian Field wrote:

It's up to at least 13 caps now, basically everything but the big
fat one across the rectified mains!

To add to my other comment - anything with a PFC front end presents a
different situation.

True: But fortunately not relevant to the Topfield, it's a regular
SMPSU (common mode choke, filter caps, bridge, reservoir - chip).

That's not entirely accurate - the conventional reservoir may be charged by
100Hz half cycles, but its discharged by SMPSU pulses.

They don't fail as quickly as the secondary side filter electrolytics, but
I've had to replace a few - and they aren't cheap.

Old September 5th 17, 07:21 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

"Ian Field" wrote in message

"tim..." wrote in message
news

Having suffered this failure, I will never buy a Vestel recorder again

"they all do that sir..........."

but they don't

my 7 year old Hummy is still working

tim

Old September 5th 17, 07:42 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

On 05/09/2017 08:21, tim... wrote:

"Ian wrote in message

wrote in message
news

Having suffered this failure, I will never buy a Vestel recorder again

"they all do that sir..........."

but they don't

He meant "All Vestel recorders do that sir ...."
;-)

Old September 5th 17, 08:57 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

"Indy Jess John" wrote in message
On 05/09/2017 08:21, tim... wrote:

"Ian wrote in message

wrote in message
news

Having suffered this failure, I will never buy a Vestel recorder again

"they all do that sir..........."

but they don't

He meant "All Vestel recorders do that sir ...."

how's that a useful reply to

"because of this incident I will never buy another Vestel"

(As I have said previously, it wasn't the fact that it broke that pee-ed me
off. It was the ridiculously high charge for the replacement part - more
than half the price of buying a new machine just for a part that is
incidental to any of the costly new technology in the machine.)

tim

Old September 5th 17, 11:30 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

On 05/09/2017 09:57, tim... wrote:

"Indy Jess wrote in message
On 05/09/2017 08:21, tim... wrote:

"Ian wrote in message

Having suffered this failure, I will never buy a Vestel recorder again

"they all do that sir..........."

but they don't

He meant "All Vestel recorders do that sir ...."

how's that a useful reply to

"because of this incident I will never buy another Vestel"

It wasn't. It was a useful reply to "they all do that sir..........."
and the reply that said Humax ones don't.

(As I have said previously, it wasn't the fact that it broke that pee-ed me
off. It was the ridiculously high charge for the replacement part - more
than half the price of buying a new machine just for a part that is
incidental to any of the costly new technology in the machine.)

I can't argue with that.

I think there might be a business model that ensures built in
obsolescence and replacement business, but forecloses the argument that
"if a spare had been available I would have mended it".

Twice I have been faced with something apparently repairable where it
was actually cheaper to buy a whole new unit replacement.