Polaroid (ASDA) TVs

Old September 1st 17, 12:34 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
AnthonyL

Default Polaroid (ASDA) TVs

On Thu, 31 Aug 2017 22:25:33 +0100, "Ian Field"
wrote:

"AnthonyL" wrote in message
On Mon, 28 Aug 2017 17:02:06 +0200, "tim..."
wrote:

"AnthonyL" wrote in message
On Thu, 24 Aug 2017 22:07:56 +0100, "johnt"
wrote:

"AnthonyL" wrote in message
Anyone any experience of these Polaroid TVs?

50" Full HD Smart LED at 299.

The old 28" is just too small especially for sports. Not bothered
about internet connectivity as not fast enough broadband.

There is a review (of sorts) he
http://www.product-reviews.net/2016/...pport-warning/
.....but 299 for a 50 inch TV does sound rather low. I tend to the view
that you pay for what you get.

Well yea - they want people to send in their comments because ...
ermm ... they haven't reviewed it.

Which? don't have anything on the "Polaroid" TV range which is
annoying as they appear to be made by Vestel is quoted as:

"Vestel is currently the largest manufacturer of televisions in Europe
and that also makes it one of the biggest TV manufacturers in the
world. Founded in 1984 the Turkish company has long been committed to
creating high volume goods, but has always had an eye towards the
future."

Given that other major consumer outlets would also use them a bit more
objective appraisal beyond Bill Wright's throwaway comment might be
more useful.

Vestel PVR's were feature-wise some of the best in the market and they
have
an excellent attitude towards usability testing.

unfortunately their power supply components were not so good

after 2 years your box would be scrap as replacing the power supply board
costs more than buying a new machine - they now come with external power
supplies

As a comparison my Hummy bought a year later is still going after 7 years,
but has ridiculous bugs in the user interface that they have no interest
in
correcting

Interesting as the Topfields also had some [email protected] power supply
components, there's a list of 8 or 9 capacitors which can be purchased
as a kit which I've done. and of course the poor user interface was
superseded by the MyStuff set of apps and firmware which is even hard
to surpass on more recent devices.

Some of the consumer electronics component outlets were offering PSU
capacitor kits for a whole range of STB type devices. It wasn't just one
make.

There's a "badcaps" blog about capacitors, particularly relating to PC
motherboards. The story goes something along the lines of; an industrial
espionage operation succeeded in lifting an incomplete electrolyte formula.
Apparently the culprit was a very big supplier.................

Got its own Wiki entry:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

and a Graudian story he

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...ems-capacitors

--
AnthonyL
Old September 2nd 17, 09:48 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Field

"Indy Jess John" wrote in message
On 02/09/2017 15:35, wrote:
On Fri, 25 Aug 2017 15:42:25 +0100, Indy Jess John
wrote:

Kodak did make and sell a digital camera. I bought one from Dixons in
2001.

Late to comment on this but I have one of those too bought back then,
The camera has hardly been used for 12 ish years now and I just use
once or twice a year just to make sure it is still alive.
It came with eight AA rechargeable batteries , I don't know who made
them for Kodak but they have turned out to be one of the longest
lasting ones I have had

I only got 4 rechargeables with my camera, but like you said, they were
really good batteries, and they do still charge and hold a charge for a
while.

However I use that camera so rarely now that the Kodak batteries always
needed recharging before use. So I got a set of "hybrid" batteries that
will hold a charge for about a year or so. Then I know that if I pick the
camera up it will take a few photos even if it hasn't had the batteries
charged for ages. It has a wider angle lens than my Panasonic, so there
are sometimes genuine reasons for using it.

You can get some standard size rechargeable lithium, but the terminal
voltage is double. You have to have an even number of cells so you can
replace half of them with dummy cells.

The self discharge takes a *LONG* time - but they're a fire risk if you
don't follow strict rules when charging them.

Old September 2nd 17, 11:03 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mike[_19_]

In article ,
AnthonyL wrote:

Interesting as the Topfields also had some [email protected] power supply
components, there's a list of 8 or 9 capacitors which can be purchased
as a kit which I've done.

That is *so* last year's advice

It's up to at least 13 caps now, basically everything but the big
fat one across the rectified mains!

Seriously: If you only did 8 or 9, the rest will be getting tired
real soon

Mike Brown: mjb[-at-]signal11.org.uk | http://www.signal11.org.uk
Old September 3rd 17, 04:42 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David[_14_]

On Thu, 31 Aug 2017 21:04:44 +0000, AnthonyL wrote:

On 31 Aug 2017 19:44:13 GMT, David wrote:

On Thu, 24 Aug 2017 13:27:03 +0100, Bill Wright wrote:

On 24/08/2017 12:47, AnthonyL wrote:
Anyone any experience of these Polaroid TVs?

50" Full HD Smart LED at £299.

The old 28" is just too small especially for sports. Not bothered
about internet connectivity as not fast enough broadband.

Dreadful tellys

Bill

Which? tends to agree with you.

I'm a subscriber and I couldn't find any reference to Polaroid TVs,
where/how did you find them?

They did a round up recently and said that they only had one Best Buy
(IIRC) from all the badge engineered TVs from Turkey, which I think
includes Vestel and the Polaroid.

All the rest of the Best Buys were from the usual suspects who make their
own TVs e.g. Pansonic, Samsung, LG.

I'll have a look around and see if I can find the article; I think it was
in the last couple of months.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Old September 3rd 17, 04:46 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David[_14_]

On Sun, 03 Sep 2017 15:42:11 +0000, David wrote:

[...]

Which says:

"Four brands dominate the TV market: Samsung, LG, Sony and Panasonic.
But some less well-known TVs manufacturers – the likes of Bush, JVC and
Celcus – may catch your eye with prices that are difficult to refuse.
Is it ever worth punting for one of these smaller brands?
Well, the numbers speak for themselves.
Between June 2014 and June 2017, we reviewed 616 TVs from Samsung, LG,
Sony and Panasonic.
They have a respectable average test score of 64% and 147 of those have
been deemed worthy of a Best Buy.
We’ve tested 124 TVs from other brands.
But these only manage a lowly 46% average test score, just marginally
above the Don’t Buy mark.
In fact, 45% have been judged to be Don’t Buys. And the number of Best
Buys? Merely one.

Read mo http://www.which.co.uk/reviews/telev...ticle/best-tv-
deals-in-the-uk-for-2017 - Which?"

This was in the latest email so the full article is probably in the latest
paper copy.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Old September 3rd 17, 05:38 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Field

"Mike" wrote in message
AnthonyL wrote:

Interesting as the Topfields also had some [email protected] power supply
components, there's a list of 8 or 9 capacitors which can be purchased
as a kit which I've done.

That is *so* last year's advice

It's up to at least 13 caps now, basically everything but the big
fat one across the rectified mains!

Seriously: If you only did 8 or 9, the rest will be getting tired
real soon

The rectifier reservoir isn't completely immune.

some manufacturers use the least they can get away with.

Old September 3rd 17, 05:54 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Field

"Mike" wrote in message
AnthonyL wrote:

Interesting as the Topfields also had some [email protected] power supply
components, there's a list of 8 or 9 capacitors which can be purchased
as a kit which I've done.

That is *so* last year's advice

It's up to at least 13 caps now, basically everything but the big
fat one across the rectified mains!

Seriously: If you only did 8 or 9, the rest will be getting tired
real soon

To add to my other comment - anything with a PFC front end presents a
different situation.

There is no rectifier reservoir, just a foil/film cap for noise suppression.
The approximately 320V rough DC is fed to what is essentially a flyback
boost converter. That charges the reservoir cap, which is usually rated
450V. The PFC front end is a kind of SMPSU, so the reservoir gets the same
kind of stresses as the secondary side filter electrolytics.

Some ATX PSus have a dirty great PFC choke on the mains input - so none of
that applies.

Old September 3rd 17, 09:22 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mike[_19_]

In article ,
Ian Field wrote:

It's up to at least 13 caps now, basically everything but the big
fat one across the rectified mains!

To add to my other comment - anything with a PFC front end presents a
different situation.

True: But fortunately not relevant to the Topfield, it's a regular
SMPSU (common mode choke, filter caps, bridge, reservoir - chip).
Mike Brown: mjb[-at-]signal11.org.uk | http://www.signal11.org.uk
Old September 4th 17, 12:34 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
AnthonyL

On 3 Sep 2017 15:46:29 GMT, David wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the pointer. Silly me - I searched ASDA and didn't find
anything so I've looked at your article on-line which doesn't state
which one crept into the Best Buy so I then went through all the Best
Buys and Don't Buys on-line and still no mention.

I'll try reading the magazine but I suspect I've already tried that -
hence my need to post on here in the first place.

--
AnthonyL