Polaroid (ASDA) TVs

Old August 27th 17, 07:49 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Field

Default Polaroid (ASDA) TVs

"R. Mark Clayton" wrote in message
On Saturday, 26 August 2017 19:13:59 UTC+1, Ian Field wrote:
"brightside S9" wrote in message
On Fri, 25 Aug 2017 21:49:03 +0100, "Ian Field"
wrote:

Most of the big Japanese brands have outsourced to the cheapest
production
facilities they could find - My Hitachi DAB/CD etc was a no name
Chinese
job, and Hitachi didn't even know if any service info ever existed.

Some time ago I used the FCC number on a product to find the
manufacturer. See https://www.fcc.gov/oet/ea/fccid
Whether that still gives the manufacturer of the final product I am no
longer sure.

There were lots of screws, so I started by peering through the vents with
flashlight - and just happened to spot a bulged electrolytic.

You can sometimes find these with your nose - switch off first!

Growing pile of ATX PSUs that confuse hard drives - so I took the fan off,
ran one into a dummy load and see which electrolytics get hot.

I have the proper test instrument, but its a lot of work and mistakes can
happen - it just gets used to check the replacements are better than what I
took out.

Old August 28th 17, 02:32 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

"Roderick Stewart" wrote in message
Polaroid was originally the company that made instant photographic
film and the cameras that used it. Now they seem to make everything,

I suspect that they *make* nothing

it is just a name that is badged onto someone else's product

tim

Old August 28th 17, 02:56 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

"Ian Field" wrote in message

"Roderick Stewart" wrote in message
Polaroid was originally the company that made instant photographic
film and the cameras that used it. Now they seem to make everything,
mostly nothing to do with film at all. Most large retail places
nowadays have a name they just seem to have stuck on a lot of products
to make them their own brand by implying they all come from one
trusted source. In reality, my understanding is that they just come
from whichever Chinese sweatshop happens to be free this week, so
these "own brand" names although presumably intended to imply
consistency are no guarantee of it at all. Remember Matsui, for
example? Then there's PC World with their brand "AOC", which I've seen
explained as standing for "Any Old Crap" (though I'm sure that can't
be justified at all of course).

Maybe the marketing people think it's easier to adopt an existing name
that's already well known (regardless of what it's actually well known
for) than to try to invent a new one, and that lots of people will
think it's good and buy it anyway. Maybe they're right. Maybe your
prediction of a Heinz TV is not so far fetched after all. If I ever
see one, I'll remember who thought of it first.

There seems to be an epidemic of trusted brand names on any old crap.

I have a pack of "Kodak" batteries from £land - JCB, Panasonic, hitachi,
Philips - the list is endless.

Most of the big Japanese brands have outsourced to the cheapest production
facilities they could find - My Hitachi DAB/CD etc was a no name Chinese
job, and Hitachi didn't even know if any service info ever existed.

the terminology used here is:

OEM and ODM

an OEM product is a way of filling a hole in your product range by buying an
off the shelf product from another company and simply sticking your badge on
the front (and occasionally changing the plastic casing). This specific
product could be sold under a range of different brand names either as other
OEMs or with the actual manufacture's name on the badge.

an ODM product is a way of filling a hole in your product range by
contracting another electronic manufacturer to design and manufacture a
product to your exact specification. This specific produce will be unique
to you.

The actual manufacturer in either case could be a known brand (as in the
case of the badged Hitachi products) or a sweat shop Chinese knock-off shop.

(looking at the pictures) the Polaroid TV that the OP is asking about is
almost certainly the same OEM that I have in my lounge badged as Bosch and
which is also available badged as Sharp.

My analysis is:

the Smart TV feature is rubbish, My Hummy PVR has a much better interface
and as such I will never use the smart feature on the TV - I could have
saved 50 quid by buying the dumb variant [1].

The sound is not brilliant. Could be better

The brightness is OK most of the time, but occasionally the contrast sucks
(and changing the contrast setting doesn't fix it - you need ramp up the
brightness which washes out the colour - BBC drama seems most at fault here)

the colour is OK

At the price I paid it's OK, but you can get better by spending three times
as much

tim

[1] Actually I couldn't - I got my TV in a Black Friday promotion at 150
quid off, and only the smart variant was available

Old August 28th 17, 03:02 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

"AnthonyL" wrote in message
On Thu, 24 Aug 2017 22:07:56 +0100, "johnt"
wrote:

"AnthonyL" wrote in message
Anyone any experience of these Polaroid TVs?

50" Full HD Smart LED at £299.

The old 28" is just too small especially for sports. Not bothered
about internet connectivity as not fast enough broadband.

There is a review (of sorts) he
http://www.product-reviews.net/2016/...pport-warning/
.....but £299 for a 50 inch TV does sound rather low. I tend to the view
that you pay for what you get.

Well yea - they want people to send in their comments because ...
ermm ... they haven't reviewed it.

Which? don't have anything on the "Polaroid" TV range which is
annoying as they appear to be made by Vestel is quoted as:

"Vestel is currently the largest manufacturer of televisions in Europe
and that also makes it one of the biggest TV manufacturers in the
world. Founded in 1984 the Turkish company has long been committed to
creating high volume goods, but has always had an eye towards the
future."

Given that other major consumer outlets would also use them a bit more
objective appraisal beyond Bill Wright's throwaway comment might be
more useful.

Vestel PVR's were feature-wise some of the best in the market and they have
an excellent attitude towards usability testing.

unfortunately their power supply components were not so good

after 2 years your box would be scrap as replacing the power supply board
costs more than buying a new machine - they now come with external power
supplies

As a comparison my Hummy bought a year later is still going after 7 years,
but has ridiculous bugs in the user interface that they have no interest in
correcting

tim

Old August 31st 17, 07:44 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David[_14_]

On Thu, 24 Aug 2017 13:27:03 +0100, Bill Wright wrote:

On 24/08/2017 12:47, AnthonyL wrote:
Anyone any experience of these Polaroid TVs?

50" Full HD Smart LED at £299.

The old 28" is just too small especially for sports. Not bothered
about internet connectivity as not fast enough broadband.

Dreadful tellys

Bill

Which? tends to agree with you.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Old August 31st 17, 08:58 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
johnt

"David" wrote in message
On Thu, 24 Aug 2017 13:27:03 +0100, Bill Wright wrote:

On 24/08/2017 12:47, AnthonyL wrote:
Anyone any experience of these Polaroid TVs?

50" Full HD Smart LED at £299.

The old 28" is just too small especially for sports. Not bothered
about internet connectivity as not fast enough broadband.

Dreadful tellys

Bill

Which? tends to agree with you.

If "Which?" says it is good, I tend to avoid it. And vice versa. The
Consumers Association was, at one time, an honourable organisation but imho
it is now totally useless. Have they ever tested Kimber cable?

--
JohnT

Old August 31st 17, 09:04 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
AnthonyL

On 31 Aug 2017 19:44:13 GMT, David wrote:

On Thu, 24 Aug 2017 13:27:03 +0100, Bill Wright wrote:

On 24/08/2017 12:47, AnthonyL wrote:
Anyone any experience of these Polaroid TVs?

50" Full HD Smart LED at £299.

The old 28" is just too small especially for sports. Not bothered
about internet connectivity as not fast enough broadband.

Dreadful tellys

Bill

Which? tends to agree with you.

I'm a subscriber and I couldn't find any reference to Polaroid TVs,
where/how did you find them?

--
AnthonyL
Old August 31st 17, 09:09 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
AnthonyL

wrote:

"AnthonyL" wrote in message
[...]

Interesting as the Topfields also had some [email protected] power supply
components, there's a list of 8 or 9 capacitors which can be purchased
as a kit which I've done. and of course the poor user interface was
superseded by the MyStuff set of apps and firmware which is even hard
to surpass on more recent devices.

--
AnthonyL
Old August 31st 17, 09:25 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Field

wrote:

"AnthonyL" wrote in message
[...]

Some of the consumer electronics component outlets were offering PSU
capacitor kits for a whole range of STB type devices. It wasn't just one
make.

There's a "badcaps" blog about capacitors, particularly relating to PC
motherboards. The story goes something along the lines of; an industrial
espionage operation succeeded in lifting an incomplete electrolyte formula.
Apparently the culprit was a very big supplier.................

Old September 1st 17, 11:24 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
AnthonyL

On Thu, 31 Aug 2017 21:58:11 +0100, "johnt"
wrote:

"David" wrote in message
On Thu, 24 Aug 2017 13:27:03 +0100, Bill Wright wrote:

On 24/08/2017 12:47, AnthonyL wrote:
Anyone any experience of these Polaroid TVs?

50" Full HD Smart LED at £299.

The old 28" is just too small especially for sports. Not bothered
about internet connectivity as not fast enough broadband.

Dreadful tellys

Bill

Which? tends to agree with you.

If "Which?" says it is good, I tend to avoid it. And vice versa. The
Consumers Association was, at one time, an honourable organisation but imho
it is now totally useless. Have they ever tested Kimber cable?

I sort of agree with your sentiments and if you know anything about an
item the chances are you'll know more than Which. But it still makes
you look at specs and performance even if you have to go elsewhere for
opinion, unfortunately there are those on here who deem it sufficient
to pronounce without any substantiation.

--
AnthonyL