Polaroid (ASDA) TVs

Old August 25th 17, 01:24 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

Default Polaroid (ASDA) TVs

On Friday, 25 August 2017 11:50:01 UTC+1, Kenny wrote:
"johnt" wrote in message ...

"AnthonyL" wrote in message
Anyone any experience of these Polaroid TVs?

50" Full HD Smart LED at £299.

The old 28" is just too small especially for sports. Not bothered
about internet connectivity as not fast enough broadband.

There is a review (of sorts) he
http://www.product-reviews.net/2016/...pport-warning/
.....but £299 for a 50 inch TV does sound rather low. I tend to the view
that you pay for what you get.

--
JohnT
I bought a 43" Hisense from AO for £289 after £40 discount code, very

Hisense are sold by Richer Sounds with their 6 year guarantee. The spec's certainly seem good and the prices are low. I would need to see one, but the panel is probably common to several makes.
Old August 25th 17, 02:39 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Yes, well, Amstrad were Schneider in Germany, For most of the time now,
Philips are just a name stuck on like Wharfdale, Goodmans Harvard, Alba, and
sundry others. I think sony were the first to realise that you could just
make flagship models yourself and just licence the name to any old lot to
make the cheap stuff. I have to say though that Polaroid video tapes were
always good. It transpired they were using Hitachi/Maxell tape, so no
wonder.

Going back many years to the old Sinclair Spectrum Microdrive carts. Most of
the ones you bought had BASF Chrome tape in them, but a few of the Ablex
manufactured ones for the one per desk computer were more reliable as they
used Maxel tape.
All to show there is nothing new. Its just a con job to brand loyalists.

Or in other cases, a way to keep manufacturing out of date stuff to
prolong the life of a product.

Back to Sinclair. Who remembers the IC12 amplifier on a chip? It had that
fan like heat sink on it. it was however very easy to blow them up as they
were entirely dc coupled internally with no protection. After Sinclair moved
on the same chip came out and was used in TVs made by Texas Instruments,
with a totally unmemorable number. they used to pop off whenever the speaker
shorted some turns. In those days one had to bend quad in line pins to fit
a dil socket as the dil ones were obsolete when they tended to blow up...

"Roderick Stewart" wrote in message
Polaroid was originally the company that made instant photographic
film and the cameras that used it. Now they seem to make everything,
mostly nothing to do with film at all. Most large retail places
nowadays have a name they just seem to have stuck on a lot of products
to make them their own brand by implying they all come from one
trusted source. In reality, my understanding is that they just come
from whichever Chinese sweatshop happens to be free this week, so
these "own brand" names although presumably intended to imply
consistency are no guarantee of it at all. Remember Matsui, for
example? Then there's PC World with their brand "AOC", which I've seen
explained as standing for "Any Old Crap" (though I'm sure that can't
be justified at all of course).

Maybe the marketing people think it's easier to adopt an existing name
that's already well known (regardless of what it's actually well known
for) than to try to invent a new one, and that lots of people will
think it's good and buy it anyway. Maybe they're right. Maybe your
prediction of a Heinz TV is not so far fetched after all. If I ever
see one, I'll remember who thought of it first.

Rod.

On Thu, 24 Aug 2017 18:55:40 +0100, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

Polaroid is just another name these days.
I'm not sure who is making them. the time to start worrying is when you
get
a Heinz tv.

"AnthonyL" wrote in message
Anyone any experience of these Polaroid TVs?

50" Full HD Smart LED at 299.

The old 28" is just too small especially for sports. Not bothered
about internet connectivity as not fast enough broadband.

--
AnthonyL

---
http://www.avg.com

Old August 25th 17, 02:44 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

It made me laugh when Polaroid, or more rightly the Land family, won a
patent infringement suite over Kodaks instant picture cameras. Kodak,
although they used a different process, used the same basic idea and way of
implementing it. Now these days of course Kodak and Polaroid are no longer
functioning companies. Both have been overtaken by the digital way, even
though it was Kodak engineers who built the first ccd camera element. they
simply saw it as useful for things like satellites and defence.

On 2017-08-25, Roderick Stewart wrote:
Polaroid was originally the company that made instant photographic
film and the cameras that used it. Now they seem to make everything,
mostly nothing to do with film at all.

I wonder why that is? )

--
Today is Boomtime, the 18th day of Bureaucracy in the YOLD 3183
I don't have an attitude problem.

Old August 25th 17, 02:48 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

I got bored waiting to find a reply on this post.
Anyway, thinking about own brand. Why not just use Asda? I always wondered
wy Tandy had so many brands. Radio Shack, Realistic etc, all or most of
their hi fi were made by Hitachi, and was actually pretty good.
Incidentally steer clear of the cheaper Toshiba laptops as they are no
longer really toshiba, but cheap Chinese sweatshop crap to reuse a phrase.

The only good ones are the pro range.
brian

"AnthonyL" wrote in message
Anyone any experience of these Polaroid TVs?

50" Full HD Smart LED at 299.

The old 28" is just too small especially for sports. Not bothered
about internet connectivity as not fast enough broadband.

--
AnthonyL

---
http://www.avg.com

There's Bush, Celsus etc. Aren't they just last year's model? Using up old
LCD panels when the big boys come out with something new.

MR

Old August 25th 17, 02:57 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

One worry to me is that being Turkish like the other well known white goods
maker is that the country always seems to be on the edge of a civil war
between the townies with dosh and the plebs outside.
its a great pity they cannot get a government who is straight with the
people as most Turks I've met are very nice folk.
if they do end up at each others throats sorting out supply of parts and
indeed telys will be a bit awkward.
brian

"AnthonyL" wrote in message
On Thu, 24 Aug 2017 22:07:56 +0100, "johnt"
wrote:

"AnthonyL" wrote in message
Anyone any experience of these Polaroid TVs?

50" Full HD Smart LED at 299.

The old 28" is just too small especially for sports. Not bothered
about internet connectivity as not fast enough broadband.

There is a review (of sorts) he
http://www.product-reviews.net/2016/...pport-warning/
.....but 299 for a 50 inch TV does sound rather low. I tend to the view
that you pay for what you get.

Well yea - they want people to send in their comments because ...
ermm ... they haven't reviewed it.

Which? don't have anything on the "Polaroid" TV range which is
annoying as they appear to be made by Vestel is quoted as:

"Vestel is currently the largest manufacturer of televisions in Europe
and that also makes it one of the biggest TV manufacturers in the
world. Founded in 1984 the Turkish company has long been committed to
creating high volume goods, but has always had an eye towards the
future."

Given that other major consumer outlets would also use them a bit more
objective appraisal beyond Bill Wright's throwaway comment might be
more useful.

--
AnthonyL

Old August 25th 17, 03:10 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Friday, 25 August 2017 14:57:43 UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:
One worry to me is that being Turkish like the other well known white goods
maker is that the country always seems to be on the edge of a civil war
between the townies with dosh and the plebs outside.
its a great pity they cannot get a government who is straight with the
people as most Turks I've met are very nice folk.

SNIP

Kemal Attaturk was a great leader.

What can one say about their current president?
The considered view of our Foreign Secretary: -

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/1...y-competition/

There was a young fellow from Ankara
Who was a terrific ******er
Till he sowed his wild oats
With the help of a goat
But he didn’t even stop to thankera.

Copyrights acknowledged.

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/0...ident-erdogan/
Old August 25th 17, 03:42 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

On 25/08/2017 14:44, Brian Gaff wrote:

Now these days of course Kodak and Polaroid are no longer
functioning companies. Both have been overtaken by the digital way

Kodak did make and sell a digital camera. I bought one from Dixons in 2001.

It was a very reasonable camera in terms of price and picture quality
compared with others being sold at the same time. It was heavy though,
and a bit bulky to carry in a pocket, and the CompactFlash storage
wasn't the fastest storage medium. But it took standard AA sized
batteries, and although I used rechargeables it would be quite happy
with alkalines. At the time I was also using a 35mm film SLR so it did
have the advantage of an instant view of the photos on the Kodak camera
screen without waiting for a film to be developed.

The PC software that came with it had drivers for Windows 95 and 98
(which dates when I bought it) and it had some nice features like
displaying on the screen what the camera was pointed at, and computer
control of the 2x optical and 3x digital zoom function, and the shutter.
I never found a use for it, but I suppose it would have been possible
to position the camera so that it could view a bird table and then take
photos without a human operating the camera shutter scaring the birds off.

I still have the camera and it still works, but I haven't used it for
ages, having replaced it with a lighter and smaller Panasonic in 2009.

Old August 25th 17, 04:37 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 25/08/2017 12:19, AnthonyL wrote:

Given that other major consumer outlets would also use them a bit more
objective appraisal beyond Bill Wright's throwaway comment might be
more useful.

Like all of us I can only speak from personal experience. I saw no need
to flesh out my comment.