HDMI cable

Old August 22nd 17, 07:31 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Default HDMI cable

Tim+ wrote:

Mark wrote:

I need a new HDMI cable for my PS4

I never spend more than £5 on one, which is
probably £4 more than I need to. ;-)

Yep, Tesco Value HDMI leads are fine ...

Old August 22nd 17, 09:08 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
johnt

"Mark" wrote in message
On Tue, 22 Aug 2017 11:41:21 -0000 (UTC), Tim+
wrote:

Mark wrote:
I need a new HDMI cable for my PS4 as the old one no longer works. Is
there much difference between cables on the market as there seems to
be loads at different prices?

This one seems well reviewed. Must be a good one. ;-)

http://www.russandrews.com/kimber-hd...e-28199997979/

I should have said. I don't want one made of kryptonite.

For the removal of any doubt, I never spend more than £5 on one, which is
probably £4 more than I need to. ;-)

I think that most people are aware that products from Russ Andrews are of
the highest quality.

If you compare the quality of the 0 (zero) and 1 (one) transmitted by the
Kimber cables then the difference should be immediately obvious.

--
JohnT

Old August 23rd 17, 11:55 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
lewhiggins

On 22/08/2017 16:57, Jim Lesurf wrote:

For most purposes it doesn't matter, but not all HDMI cables are the
same and it may affect you depending on your setup. For an explanation
of the various versions see:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI

Which tends to lead (pun alert!) on to the practical problem of HDMI cables
which aren't fully described at the point of sale, etc. Leaving the
potential buyer to guess. Its a bungle out there...

Yes indeed. Buyers need to be wary of the assertion that, because
they're digital they're all the same.

--
Lew
Old August 23rd 17, 07:40 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Michael Chare[_5_]

On 22/08/2017 12:23, Mark wrote:
I need a new HDMI cable for my PS4 as the old one no longer works. Is
there much difference between cables on the market as there seems to
be loads at different prices?

Only some cables are good enough for UHD. i.e. If I want to connect my
UHD satellite receiver to a UHD TV and watch what little UHD TV there is
I should use the HDMI cable that came with the receiver.

--
Michael Chare

---

Old August 27th 17, 11:07 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark[_6_]

On Tue, 22 Aug 2017 13:41:37 +0100, Mark
wrote:

On Tue, 22 Aug 2017 13:16:16 +0100, Indy Jess John
wrote:

On 22/08/2017 12:41, Tim+ wrote:
wrote:
I need a new HDMI cable for my PS4 as the old one no longer works. Is
there much difference between cables on the market as there seems to
be loads at different prices?

This one seems well reviewed. Must be a good one. ;-)

http://www.russandrews.com/kimber-hd...e-28199997979/

For the removal of any doubt, I never spend more than £5 on one, which is
probably £4 more than I need to. ;-)

Tim

I am using a cheap and cheerful from Poundland from PVR to TV and that
seems OK, but it is only a metre long. If you need a greater distance
than that, have a look at what is on offer on ebay, because the second
cheapest at that length is probably the going rate in other outlets if
you prefer not to shop at ebay.

Cheap cable ordered from Ebay :-)

Strange. The new cable also does not work with the PS4. I tried
another cable on the PS4 and it works. The new cable works with the
TV. Figure that one out ;-)

Old August 27th 17, 11:15 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Mark wrote:

The new cable also does not work with the PS4.

What HDMI version (2.0, 1.4a, 1.4b etc)?
Old August 27th 17, 12:09 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark[_6_]

On Sun, 27 Aug 2017 12:15:52 +0100, Andy Burns
wrote:

Mark wrote:

The new cable also does not work with the PS4.

What HDMI version (2.0, 1.4a, 1.4b etc)?

v2.0

Old August 29th 17, 07:13 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

"pamela" wrote in message
On 12:55 23 Aug 2017, lewhiggins wrote:

On 22/08/2017 16:57, Jim Lesurf wrote:

For most purposes it doesn't matter, but not all HDMI cables
are the same and it may affect you depending on your setup.
For an explanation of the various versions see:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI

Which tends to lead (pun alert!) on to the practical problem of
HDMI cables which aren't fully described at the point of sale,
etc. Leaving the potential buyer to guess. Its a bungle out
there...

Yes indeed. Buyers need to be wary of the assertion that,
because they're digital they're all the same.

On the other hand, there's no need to buy this sort of thing....

http://www.russandrews.com/kimber-hd...e-27299997979/

"And the result of this precise manufacture? Stunning images and
crystal-clear sound. We've seen clear improvements in image
quality, with less noise and finer colour detail; sound was
also more detailed and has better three-dimensional resolution."

He never gives up, does he? At least it gives we readers something to
smile about!

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old August 29th 17, 09:45 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Tuesday, 29 August 2017 08:13:27 UTC+1, Woody wrote:
"pamela" wrote in message
[...]

I once bought a hi-fi mag that had a mains cable comparison - what a laugh! Similar piffle about silver speaker cables etc. You want them chunky (high current), but that is about it.

The difference with digital is it either gets there or it doesn't. My broadband comes over several hundred metres of very thin, corroded aluminium wire unshielded from neighbouring wires, through rats' nests of connections in wet and / or underground boxes and still manages to deliver a thousand times more bandwidth than a CD virtually without error (and those are corrected).

--
Woody

Old August 29th 17, 12:53 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark[_6_]

"pamela" wrote in message
[...]

Unless it's marginal and some bits are received incorrectly.

My broadband comes over several hundred metres of very thin, corroded aluminium wire unshielded from neighbouring wires, through rats' nests of connections in wet and / or underground boxes and still manages to deliver a thousand times more bandwidth than a CD virtually without error (and those are corrected).

And could deliver more bandwidth if it wasn't a piece of wet string.