Watching an eclipse

Old August 23rd 17, 04:01 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default Watching an eclipse

On 22/08/2017 22:26, Ian Field wrote:

"Paul Ratcliffe" wrote in message
On Tue, 22 Aug 2017 14:48:45 +0100, Bill Wright
wrote:

If you watch an eclipse on the telly you can turn the brightness
right down.

Didn't they already do that on the camera?
We do these things so you don't have to, as somebody once said.

Direct sunlight would certainly damage a pre solid state camera. Solid
state ones probably need some protection too.

Yes well one time when they were on the moon they ****ed the camera like
that. This astronaut pointed it at the sun. I remember it well.

Old August 23rd 17, 05:51 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Field

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
If they have the right filter material its fine. It did cross my mind
though that if there were cheap Japanese copies floating about there will
be a lot of people with blind spots this morning.
I forget the filter used but you used to be able to get the material at
good old camera shops for a very high price.

For the last UK eclipse - there was heavy marketing of mylar film filters.

Old August 23rd 17, 05:53 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Field

On 2017-08-22, Ian Field wrote:

"Scott" wrote in message
I have just seen coverage on Channel 4 News of the eclipse, where
people were watching using special sunglasses. I though no sunglasses
were safe for looking directly at the sun?

Standard arc welding mask filter glass is too dark

Damn, I must have imagined those two eclipses, then.

You are aware it comes in different densities? Well, no, apparently not.

Actually yes - as I mentioned, MIG filter glass is more or less right.

Presumably the gas goggles aren't a different density
either............................

Old August 23rd 17, 05:57 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Field

news
On 2017-08-22, Ian Field wrote:

"Scott" wrote in message
I have just seen coverage on Channel 4 News of the eclipse, where
people were watching using special sunglasses. I though no sunglasses
were safe for looking directly at the sun?

Standard arc welding mask filter glass is too dark

Damn, I must have imagined those two eclipses, then.

You are aware it comes in different densities? Well, no, apparently not.

I don't know what density my welding glasses are but I can look through
them at the sun without blinding myself.

Mine the weld pool was just about visible - the MIG mask was WAAAAY
inadequate.

ISTR: the different grades weren't cheap, so experimenting with different
ones never quite reached a conclusion.

Old August 24th 17, 12:44 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
AnthonyL

On 2017-08-21, Andy Burns wrote:
Huge wrote:

I've watched two through (arc) welding filters.

Quite a chunk of the ISO/BS standard is lifted from section 4.1 of this
NASA document

P66;

"One of the most widely available filters for safe solar viewing
is shade number 14 welder’s glass, which can be obtained
from welding supply outlets."

That's one of the things I used. Horrible as camera filters though.

Also did the pinhole thing, and the water bucket. I'll do a better
job of the photography next time!!

--
AnthonyL