Query: Reception on Cambs. - Norfolk Border

Old August 22nd 17, 05:18 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Eddie King[_2_]

Default Query: Reception on Cambs. - Norfolk Border

The area is well covered and at least one transmitter gives a good
signal everywhere. In other words there's a lot of overlap. I vaguely
remember doing a job at at a granny farm conversion somewhere round
there (Wisbech?) and the local aerials were pointing in all directions.
The only sensible thing to do is to ask the installer to check all
possibilities with his analyser and recommend the one that will be most
reliable.

Hi guys,
thanks for the replies so far. Seems it'll be a case of trying Belmont,
Sandy Heath and Tacolneston - not necessesarily in that order. Seems a
wideband aerial is called for.

The installer will be your's truly. I'll try and get hold of a signal
analyzer to find the best TX, but you've certainly helped with your
comments.
Old August 22nd 17, 06:53 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

On Tue, 22 Aug 2017 18:18:19 +0200
Eddie King wrote:

The area is well covered and at least one transmitter gives a good
signal everywhere. In other words there's a lot of overlap. I
vaguely remember doing a job at at a granny farm conversion
somewhere round there (Wisbech?) and the local aerials were
pointing in all directions. The only sensible thing to do is to ask
the installer to check all possibilities with his analyser and
recommend the one that will be most reliable.

Hi guys,
thanks for the replies so far. Seems it'll be a case of trying
Belmont, Sandy Heath and Tacolneston - not necessesarily in that
order. Seems a wideband aerial is called for.

The installer will be your's truly. I'll try and get hold of a signal
analyzer to find the best TX, but you've certainly helped with your
comments.

Please don't forget to report what actually happens!

--
Davey.
Old August 22nd 17, 07:56 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 22/08/2017 17:18, Eddie King wrote:

The area is well covered and at least one transmitter gives a good
signal everywhere. In other words there's a lot of overlap. I vaguely
remember doing a job at at a granny farm conversion somewhere round
there (Wisbech?) and the local aerials were pointing in all directions.
The only sensible thing to do is to ask the installer to check all
possibilities with his analyser and recommend the one that will be
most reliable.

Hi guys,
thanks for the replies so far. Seems it'll be a case of trying Belmont,
Sandy Heath and Tacolneston - not necessesarily in that order. Seems a
wideband aerial is called for.

The installer will be your's truly. I'll try and get hold of a signal
analyzer to find the best TX, but you've certainly helped with your
comments.

No meter?
1.Use a log periodic aerial, align it by map, compass, and
http://www.megalithia.com/elect/terrain.html
For the direction to the tx use the 'view map of the area' after you've
got the topographical profile.
2. Put a 12dB attenuator between the aerial coax plug and the TV set's
aerial socket.
3. Do a full factory reset and make a note of the results (any missing
channels, etc)
4. Do 1, 2, and 3 for all possible transmitters. (tedious)
5. Select the one giving the best results. Align the aerial on it.
6. Do a full factory re-tune.
7.If all channels are present remove the attenuator, job is done.
8. If there are missing channels remove the attenuator and re-tune again.
9. If there are still missing channels fit a low gain 9, 12, or 16dB
masthead amp.

Why a log periodic? Broad forward lobe so slight misalignment doesn't
matter. Good front/back and front/side discrimination helps avoid
signals from other transmitters causing tuning errors. Wideband.

Old August 22nd 17, 09:39 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
news
[...]

Bill knows what he is talking about - he got the T-shirt years ago.

There is another site that may also help (I don't know the one above
but I suspect I am about to) as it shows a Google Map, an OS map, and
a signal path profile. You can move the end markers on the GM so that
it is exactly on the aerial, and you can see it in satellite view if
you wish.
http://www.macfh.co.uk/JavaJive/Audi...lculator.shtml

Only thing Bill has missed is to make sure you get a good quality log
periodic. There are many cheap ones of poor mechanical construction
and equally poor connections. If you get a decent one with stainless
steel elements it will likely be ready wired to an F-type connector at
the mount end and will come with a boot to cover the connection - and
if you are lucky it will have a 4G filter built in.

The BLA-LP range from Blakes in Sheffield (BIll will probably add
comment here...) is probably a good one.

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old August 23rd 17, 03:47 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 22/08/2017 21:39, Woody wrote:

Bill knows what he is talking about - he got the T-shirt years ago.

There is another site that may also help (I don't know the one above
but I suspect I am about to) as it shows a Google Map, an OS map, and
a signal path profile. You can move the end markers on the GM so that
it is exactly on the aerial, and you can see it in satellite view if
you wish.
http://www.macfh.co.uk/JavaJive/Audi...lculator.shtml

Yes, that's another way to do it.

Only thing Bill has missed

I missed many things. I didn't discuss cable, local signal obstructions,
polarisation, how sometimes when you're on a roof you can spy on
nudists, loads of important stuff. But never go on a roof without a good
camera and a telephoto lens, that's the most important advice I can give.

is to make sure you get a good quality log
periodic. There are many cheap ones of poor mechanical construction
and equally poor connections. If you get a decent one with stainless
steel elements

You'll be lucky

it will likely be ready wired to an F-type connector at
the mount end and will come with a boot to cover the connection

Yes but don't use a 'f' right angle connector at that point. Not that
you would.

- and
if you are lucky it will have a 4G filter built in.

Can be a problem with Belmont and to a lesser extent with Taccy.

Old August 23rd 17, 12:16 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

On Wed, 23 Aug 2017 03:47:55 +0100
Bill Wright wrote:

- and
if you are lucky it will have a 4G filter built in.

Can be a problem with Belmont and to a lesser extent with Taccy.

Because there are few 4G signals near Tacolneston? One advantage of
being out in 'the sticks'.

--
Davey.
Old August 24th 17, 01:54 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Bill Wright wrote:

- and
if you are lucky it will have a 4G filter built in.

Can be a problem with Belmont and to a lesser extent with Taccy.

Because there are few 4G signals near Tacolneston? One advantage of
being out in 'the sticks'.

Without looking it up, I don't think Taccy uses channel 60.

Old August 24th 17, 07:37 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver[_2_]

Bill Wright wrote:

- and
if you are lucky it will have a 4G filter built in.

Can be a problem with Belmont and to a lesser extent with Taccy.

Because there are few 4G signals near Tacolneston? One advantage of
being out in 'the sticks'.

Without looking it up, I don't think Taccy uses channel 60.

It doesn't, Ch 59 is the highest, (used for PSB 2)

However, next June the main six muxes all move to 39,40,42,43,45,46,
COM 7 and 8 to 55, 56, and Musturd Telly to 32

--
Mark
Old August 24th 17, 11:56 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

Bill Wright wrote:

- and
if you are lucky it will have a 4G filter built in.

Can be a problem with Belmont and to a lesser extent with Taccy.

Because there are few 4G signals near Tacolneston? One advantage
of being out in 'the sticks'.

Without looking it up, I don't think Taccy uses channel 60.

It doesn't, Ch 59 is the highest, (used for PSB 2)

However, next June the main six muxes all move to 39,40,42,43,45,46,
COM 7 and 8 to 55, 56, and Musturd Telly to 32

I've never seen Mustard, is it directional and pointed at Norwich?

--
Davey.
Old August 24th 17, 01:25 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Bill Wright wrote:

- and
if you are lucky it will have a 4G filter built in.

Can be a problem with Belmont and to a lesser extent with Taccy.

Because there are few 4G signals near Tacolneston? One advantage
of being out in 'the sticks'.

Without looking it up, I don't think Taccy uses channel 60.

It doesn't, Ch 59 is the highest, (used for PSB 2)

However, next June the main six muxes all move to 39,40,42,43,45,46,
COM 7 and 8 to 55, 56, and Musturd Telly to 32

I've never seen Mustard, is it directional and pointed at Norwich?

Yes I think so. I could receive it when I was at Beighton, to the east
or Poringland, but not at all when I was in Suffolk.