Query: Reception on Cambs. - Norfolk Border

Old August 21st 17, 09:36 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default Query: Reception on Cambs. - Norfolk Border

So in the end then it may depend on co channel interference and all of that
old school stuff. Also any large buildings and badly placed hills can be an
issue.

"Davey" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 20 Aug 2017 14:37:08 +0100
"Woody" wrote:

"Eddie King" wrote in message
Friends,

a relative will shortly be moving to the PE14 area, just on the
Norfolk side of the border.

I note the location is about equal distance (60km as the crow
flies) from Sandy Heath and Tacolneston.

Can anyone confirm which TX best serves the area in question and
give any advice on the signal strengths to be expected.

Many thanks, Eddie

Good heavens, he still exists! Keil - or have you moved?

Transmitter - Belmont actually and it broadcasts a E
Yorks/Lincs/north Norfolk regional opt-out.

Have a look at ukfree.tv/aps/freeview, expand the map and drag it so
that it shows the relevant area, then click on the transmitters of
your choice and it will show the approximate coverage.

Doing that indicates a close thing between Belmont and Sandy Heath. I
agree, to my
surprise, that Tacolneston, my transmitter, is out of the picture (!)
for this area.

--
Davey.

Old August 21st 17, 09:37 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

And of course most transmitters seem to have their signals aimed in certain
directions of course.

wrote:

"Eddie King" wrote in message
[...]

why surprise? There's intervening high ground.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Old August 21st 17, 10:26 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

On Sun, 20 Aug 2017 16:12:18 +0100
charles wrote:

why surprise? There's intervening high ground.

Not when compared with just about any other part of the country! We're
talking East Anglia here, not The North York Moors.

--
Davey.
Old August 21st 17, 10:47 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles[_2_]

charles wrote:

why surprise? There's intervening high ground.

Not when compared with just about any other part of the country! We're
talking East Anglia here, not The North York Moors.

mmm ...... people believe East Anglia to be flat

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Old August 21st 17, 10:48 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

charles wrote:

why surprise? There's intervening high ground.

Not when compared with just about any other part of the country! We're
talking East Anglia here, not The North York Moors.

There's plenty of places in Norfolk and Suffolk that are screened from
the transmitter by hills. Have you seen the big aerials in Framlingham?
Norwich city has a relay despite been only a stone's throw from Taccy.
And then there's Gt Yarmouth...
Having cycled extensively in Norfolk I can tell you the stories of it
being flat are greatly exaggerated.

Old August 21st 17, 10:50 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver[_2_]

On 21/08/2017 10:48, Bill Wright wrote:

Having cycled extensively in Norfolk I can tell you the stories of it
being flat are greatly exaggerated.

Shouldn't that be de-aggerated ?

--
Mark
Old August 21st 17, 11:12 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 21/08/2017 10:50, Mark Carver wrote:
On 21/08/2017 10:48, Bill Wright wrote:

Having cycled extensively in Norfolk I can tell you the stories of it
being flat are greatly exaggerated.

Shouldn't that be de-aggerated ?

No.
Incidentally I borrowed an electric bike briefly and I am tempted.

Old August 21st 17, 12:25 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
news
Incidentally I borrowed an electric bike briefly and I am tempted.

Electric bikes are great. My wife got an electrically-assisted bike: it
provides more assistance as you pedal harder, so if you stop pedalling the
motor cuts out. That has several levels of assistance power. On the turbo
setting it makes it very easy to get up hills.

The irony is that she got the bike to keep up with me (on my normal bike),
and now she's leaving me behind since she's got power-assistance and I
haven't.

I've ridden it a few times and it's great fun. I sometimes do a circuit that
involves a long gentle climb, then a steep downhill and then a fairly tough
climb up Whitwell Hill, alongside the A64. The fastest I've ever done it on
my bike is 29m 55 s (breaking the 30 minute barrier was a good feeling!). On
her bike I did it in about 20 mins. Having power assistance means you get
some very funny looks. On the Whitwell circuit I saw a lycra-clad cyclist on
an expensive racing bike, so I turned the bike to Turbo and went sailing
past him, still pedalling hard but with a lot of help. And he gave me a very
funny look as if to say "how can this rather overweight fifty-something guy
on a bog-standard bike manage to overtake *me* and make it look so
effortless?" :-)

There are only two caveats: firstly the bike is a bit heavier so it's not
quite as easy to pedal on the flat at speed; secondly the assistance cuts
out altogether once you reach 15 mph (in order for the bike to comply with
pedal cycle rules of no insurance and being allowed to use normal cycle
lanes and bridleways). I find that on the flat I can actually go faster on
my bike than my wife can on hers - but the tables are turned as soon as you
get to any sort of uphill.

When she first got her bike, I referred to it as "a cheat bike", to which
her retort was "no, it's not a cheater, it's a panther", so that's what we
now call it: Panther. If/when I get one, it will be called "Puma" to keep up
the big cat analogy.

Old August 21st 17, 07:36 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
news
On 21/08/2017 10:50, Mark Carver wrote:
On 21/08/2017 10:48, Bill Wright wrote:

Having cycled extensively in Norfolk I can tell you the stories of
it
being flat are greatly exaggerated.

Shouldn't that be de-aggerated ?

No.
Incidentally I borrowed an electric bike briefly and I am tempted.

So you do have more dosh than you usually seem to imply given that
most have prices starting north of a grand!

My version of SWMBO had an idea of getting one after talking to her
ridiculously wealthy brother (retired pop star) when he visited last
week - until I showed here the prices. Hopefully that one has floated
off on the breeze!

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old August 22nd 17, 02:37 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 21/08/2017 19:36, Woody wrote:

Incidentally I borrowed an electric bike briefly and I am tempted.

So you do have more dosh than you usually seem to imply given that
most have prices starting north of a grand!

No no, I mean that people sometimes leave them outside shops
inadequately secured.