Big Ben's Bongs are going to be missing for 4 years

Old August 16th 17, 09:27 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

Default Big Ben's Bongs are going to be missing for 4 years

On 16/08/2017 19:51, Davey wrote:
On Wed, 16 Aug 2017 18:15:27 +0200
Martin wrote:

What a brilliant opportunity to get rid of the Shard!

Is it still empty? Blind Date had an idiot episode where a blind
dater who was terrified of heights was given yoga lessons on the top
floor of the Shard followed by a trip on the London Eye.

No idea if it's empty or not, I just think it's a terrible design.

Worse than the Walkie Talkie?

--
Max Demian
Old August 16th 17, 09:35 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
[email protected]

On Tuesday, 15 August 2017 20:44:14 UTC+1, Peter Duncanson wrote:
On the other hand it might be that all the people who live or work in or
near the Palace of Westminster will be delighted to have a few years of
relative silence.

And in four years the Daily Mail will be reporting on people who bought flats in Westminster and have suddenly found they can't sleep at night and want compensation.

Owain

Old August 16th 17, 11:29 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

Martin wrote:

What a brilliant opportunity to get rid of the Shard!

Is it still empty? Blind Date had an idiot episode where a blind
dater who was terrified of heights was given yoga lessons on the
top floor of the Shard followed by a trip on the London Eye.

No idea if it's empty or not, I just think it's a terrible design.

Worse than the Walkie Talkie?

I reckon they both qualify for the Worst Design in London.

--
Davey.
Old August 20th 17, 08:49 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Peter Duncanson

On Mon, 14 Aug 2017 18:38:06 +0100, Ian Jackson
wrote:

Big Ben's Bongs are going to be missing for 4 years.

They have been off before, but only for relatively short periods. But 4
years! What will we do?

Not just what will *we* do, but "what will *she* do?

Brief extracts from today's Sunday Times:

Commons Speaker John Bercow’s love life at risk from end to Big
Ben’s bongs

Silencing Big Ben could take its toll on the Commons Speaker’s love
life — after his wife said she finds the famous bongs a turn-on.

Now friends fear that four years without hearing the chimes every
hour through the night could be a passion killer for the couple, who
have three children.

One MP joked: “I hope John doesn’t live to regret his decision about
silencing the bongs.”

“I [Sally Bercow] never realised how sexy I would find living under
Big Ben with the bells chiming,” she said.

--
Peter Duncanson
(in uk.tech.digital-tv)
Old August 20th 17, 09:00 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
John Hall[_2_]

In message , Peter Duncanson
writes
Brief extracts from today's Sunday Times:

Commons Speaker John Bercow’s love life at risk from end to Big
Ben’s bongs

Silencing Big Ben could take its toll on the Commons Speaker’s
love
life — after his wife said she finds the famous bongs a turn-on.

Now friends fear that four years without hearing the chimes every
hour through the night could be a passion killer for the couple,
who
have three children.

snip

Did this /really/ appear in the Sunday Times and not the Sunday Sport?
If so, it seems to have gone a long way down-market.
--
John Hall
"Three o'clock is always too late or too early
Old August 20th 17, 10:19 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Peter Duncanson

On Sun, 20 Aug 2017 22:00:12 +0100, John Hall
wrote:

In message , Peter Duncanson
writes
Brief extracts from today's Sunday Times:

Commons Speaker John Bercow’s love life at risk from end to Big
Ben’s bongs

Silencing Big Ben could take its toll on the Commons Speaker’s
love
life — after his wife said she finds the famous bongs a turn-on.

Now friends fear that four years without hearing the chimes every
hour through the night could be a passion killer for the couple,
who
have three children.

snip

Did this /really/ appear in the Sunday Times and not the Sunday Sport?
If so, it seems to have gone a long way down-market.

Yes. It is in the Sunday Times, both printed and online.
The website is behind a paywall so I won't bother to give a link.
The report was by Caroline Wheeler, the Deputy Political Editor.
She had her name on several more serious articles.

I think that sort of article provides a useful counterbalance to the
much more extensive coverage of very serious news.

--
Peter Duncanson
(in uk.tech.digital-tv)