Big Ben's Bongs are going to be missing for 4 years

Old August 16th 17, 02:44 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

Default Big Ben's Bongs are going to be missing for 4 years

On Wed, 16 Aug 2017 12:54:08 +0100, "NY" wrote:

My feeling is that if someone has been suspected of an offence but never
charged or prosecuted, and is no longer being investigated by the police, he
(and his supporters) should not be discriminated against..

Quite so. I was thinking this very thing with regard to that case
recently in the papers about the woman who was allegedly pushed in
front of a bus by a jogger. I wonder what rule was applied to ensure
that the accuser was given anonymity but the accused was not? It seems
to be the usual procedure with sex offences, but why this? In fact,
I'm not even sure why it should be the rule for any type of offence,
particularly sex offences, as there are plenty of vigilante morons
willing to have a go at anyone thus accused in the absence of any
verified facts* (not to mention the absence of any authority for them
to take the law into their own hands).

*Such as the fact that the first bloke they arrested was several
thousand miles away at the time.

Sometimes it seems that we have more to fear from the activities of
those who are supposed to protect us from criminals than from the
criminals themselves.

Old August 16th 17, 02:48 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

On Wed, 16 Aug 2017 12:54:08 +0100
"NY" wrote:

I live near York and I've watched the shenanigans with the
bell-ringers and the dean, with a sort of jaundiced and wry smile.
Just when you think it can't get any worse, it does.

What are developments in that? It has been off the media radar for some
time. I used to ring bells, so have some interest in the sad affair.

--
Davey.
Old August 16th 17, 02:59 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

news
"NY" wrote:

I live near York and I've watched the shenanigans with the
bell-ringers and the dean, with a sort of jaundiced and wry smile.
Just when you think it can't get any worse, it does.

What are developments in that? It has been off the media radar for some
time. I used to ring bells, so have some interest in the sad affair.

I've not heard much about it - it's been off the radar in the local York
Press paper as well. After a period when neighbouring groups of ringers said
(effectively) "Up yours, sunshine. We'd love to ring at York but not on your
nelly in these circumstances", I think the dean may have found a group of
people who are willing to ring the bells and who do not have any split
loyalties between the former head ringer and the Minster.

Old August 16th 17, 03:12 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Robin[_8_]

news
"NY" wrote:

I live near York and I've watched the shenanigans with the
bell-ringers and the dean, with a sort of jaundiced and wry smile.
Just when you think it can't get any worse, it does.

What are developments in that? It has been off the media radar for some
time. I used to ring bells, so have some interest in the sad affair.

I've not heard much about it - it's been off the radar in the local York
Press paper as well. After a period when neighbouring groups of ringers
said
(effectively) "Up yours, sunshine. We'd love to ring at York but not on
your
nelly in these circumstances", I think the dean may have found a group of
people who are willing to ring the bells and who do not have any split
loyalties between the former head ringer and the Minster.

They appointed a woman who was a member of the previous team to head the
new team. I hope it was wholly because she was the best applicant for
the job and not because that avoids the risk to the Cathedral's
reputation of having a man in a position of authority who might come
into contact with children.

I wonder if they the let the Archbish wander about the Minster without a
minder.

--
Robin
Old August 16th 17, 04:18 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

On Wed, 16 Aug 2017 15:12:15 +0100
Robin wrote:

They appointed a woman who was a member of the previous team to head
the new team. I hope it was wholly because she was the best applicant
for the job and not because that avoids the risk to the Cathedral's
reputation of having a man in a position of authority who might come
into contact with children.

Yes, I remember that, but nothing else happened. Nobody wanted to join
the ringers under the circumstances.

Oh well, I hope it gets sorted out.

--
Davey.
Old August 16th 17, 04:45 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Robin[_8_]

Robin wrote:

They appointed a woman who was a member of the previous team to head
the new team. I hope it was wholly because she was the best applicant
for the job and not because that avoids the risk to the Cathedral's
reputation of having a man in a position of authority who might come
into contact with children.

Yes, I remember that, but nothing else happened. Nobody wanted to join
the ringers under the circumstances.

Ah, right, sounds like she was just the person the Dean would have
wanted for the job.

--
Robin
Old August 16th 17, 05:25 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Norman Wells[_6_]

On 16/08/2017 17:09, Martin wrote:
On Wed, 16 Aug 2017 14:59:24 +0100, "NY" wrote:

news
"NY" wrote:

I live near York and I've watched the shenanigans with the
bell-ringers and the dean, with a sort of jaundiced and wry smile.
Just when you think it can't get any worse, it does.

What are developments in that? It has been off the media radar for some
time. I used to ring bells, so have some interest in the sad affair.

I've not heard much about it - it's been off the radar in the local York
Press paper as well. After a period when neighbouring groups of ringers said
(effectively) "Up yours, sunshine. We'd love to ring at York but not on your
nelly in these circumstances", I think the dean may have found a group of
people who are willing to ring the bells and who do not have any split
loyalties between the former head ringer and the Minster.

She advertised for a head ringer and appointed one with an enormous salary of
£8000/ annum. Since then it has gone quiet. No mention of bells being rung
except once during the interviews.

Have there been any ill effects of the bells not being rung, like no-one
knowing what the time is or the day of the week, or God getting cross,
or reduced attendances because peasants in the fields weren't reminded
it was time to go to church?

You see, if there is no downside to stopping them in York, then they
serve no purpose, so why not stop their racket by law everywhere and
give everyone a chance of a bit of peace and quiet?
Old August 16th 17, 07:51 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

On Wed, 16 Aug 2017 18:15:27 +0200
Martin wrote:

What a brilliant opportunity to get rid of the Shard!

Is it still empty? Blind Date had an idiot episode where a blind
dater who was terrified of heights was given yoga lessons on the top
floor of the Shard followed by a trip on the London Eye.

No idea if it's empty or not, I just think it's a terrible design.

--
Davey.
Old August 16th 17, 07:59 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Martin wrote:

Davey wrote:

What a brilliant opportunity to get rid of the Shard!

Is it still empty?

Supposedly 97% occupied now

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/shard-owners-say-britains-tallest-building-is-now-virtually-full-a3438741.html
Old August 16th 17, 10:08 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Robin[_8_]

On 16/08/2017 16:56, Martin wrote:

The Imperial War Museum has a couple of really big naval guns.

Or they could co-opt the King's Troop Royal Horse Artillery, who
normally fire the salutes on Brenda's birthday etc. in Green and Hyde
Parks. Just so long as they don't get stuck in this loop!
http://tinyurl.com/y7hdpte6

more use than the IWM's guns they are just barrels AFAIR.

This is for the nation's Parliament so let's move the BL 18 inch Mk I
howitzer[1] onto Parliament Square and manufacturer some munition.

Point it up Parliament Street and it might be possible to find a load
for crowd control

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BL_18_...ilway_howitzer

--
Robin