ITV Newsroom background

Old August 11th 17, 09:04 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave W

Default ITV Newsroom background

In the ITV 'newsroom' which is mainly CGI, I find myself watching the
background more than the presenter. It's totally ludicrous, with hundreds of
screens and open laptops all showing different pictures, yet nobody watching
them. I look out for a screen featuring a man in a red lifejacket, soon
after the background has been started up. I wonder how long it runs before
repeating. Then again I have seen the whole 'newsroom' behind the 'glass'
miraculously replaced by a view of the Thames behind the same 'glass'.

There is a youtube video with Mary Nightingale, showing that only the
newsdesk is real, in front of a green screen.

ITV News must have a very low opinion of its audience.
--
Dave W

Old August 12th 17, 03:04 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Brian-Gaff

Perhaps they have sacked all their scenery painters.

From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to
read my posts! :-)
news

Old August 12th 17, 03:05 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Brian-Gaff

Yes its just production values really its cheap to do and so its done.

From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to
read my posts! :-)
On 2017-08-11, Dave W wrote:
In the ITV 'newsroom' which is mainly CGI, I find myself watching the
background more than the presenter. It's totally ludicrous, with hundreds
of
screens and open laptops all showing different pictures, yet nobody
watching
them. I look out for a screen featuring a man in a red lifejacket, soon
after the background has been started up. I wonder how long it runs
before
repeating. Then again I have seen the whole 'newsroom' behind the 'glass'
miraculously replaced by a view of the Thames behind the same 'glass'.

There is a youtube video with Mary Nightingale, showing that only the
newsdesk is real, in front of a green screen.

ITV News must have a very low opinion of its audience.

What amazes me is that you believed any of it in the first place.

--
Today is Pungenday, the 4th day of Bureaucracy in the YOLD 3183
I don't have an attitude problem.

Old August 12th 17, 08:47 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave W

Old August 12th 17, 11:18 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Do you recall those years ago, during Wimbledon those windows that were
supposed to show a view out over Wimbledon, and it might have worked except
for the time when the whole scene jolted several times, showing it to be
some remote camera somewhere being knocked.

I'm not sure why this sort of thing is done.
It reminds me of the old program ZCars.
they had the car in a studio with the slightly defocused back projected
moving scene behind it. There were obviously people on their hands and knees
wobbling the car a bit but the steering etc, inside did not agree with the
turns in the back projection. I used to have a good laugh back in the day.
Bit like Crosroads wobbly scenery and that painted curtain of a brick wall,
or Prisoner Cell Block H where the cells wobbled and nobody could remember
their lines.

"Dave W" wrote in message
news

Old August 12th 17, 11:35 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

I remember being amazed at seeing how it was done on one of my
earliest days in the studios. For some scenes they had half a car
without wheels on a platform on springs. Just the cab; everything in
front of the windscreen and a little bit of the bonnet was missing, to
allow closer camera shots I suppose.

And Newtown Police Station was entirely painted in matt emulsion paint
with no glass in any of the windows.

Except for the dodgy back projection, none of this had been apparent
on screen. It was all 405 lines monochrome then of course. Whether the
deception would have stood up under today's HD colour photography I
rather doubt, but today's cameras are smaller anyway, so it's easier
to do car scenes in real cars.

Rod.

On Sat, 12 Aug 2017 12:18:20 +0100, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

Do you recall those years ago, during Wimbledon those windows that were
supposed to show a view out over Wimbledon, and it might have worked except
for the time when the whole scene jolted several times, showing it to be
some remote camera somewhere being knocked.

I'm not sure why this sort of thing is done.
It reminds me of the old program ZCars.
they had the car in a studio with the slightly defocused back projected
moving scene behind it. There were obviously people on their hands and knees
wobbling the car a bit but the steering etc, inside did not agree with the
turns in the back projection. I used to have a good laugh back in the day.
Bit like Crosroads wobbly scenery and that painted curtain of a brick wall,
or Prisoner Cell Block H where the cells wobbled and nobody could remember
their lines.

"Dave W" wrote in message
news

"Huge" wrote in message
On 2017-08-11, Dave W wrote:
[...]

---
http://www.avg.com

Old August 12th 17, 04:04 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul Ratcliffe

On Sat, 12 Aug 2017 12:14:54 +0100, charles wrote:

and Andrew Marr sits in a room with a view of the Thames.

He could, too. Th old BBC parliamentary studio (St Stephen's Green) had its
view of the river blocked by the Palace of Westminster. I don't know where
the current one is

NBH.
Old August 12th 17, 07:51 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On Saturday, 12 August 2017 04:04:00 UTC+1, Brian-Gaff wrote:
Perhaps they have sacked all their scenery painters.

I thought news backgrounds were always hessian wallpaper with a logo card held on with velcro.

Owain

Old August 13th 17, 09:15 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
pinnerite

Brian-Gaff wrote:

Yes its just production values really its cheap to do and so its done.

Brian

The recent furore about Dr Who made me recall with nostalgia the days when
the scenery wobbled (or was that recoiled).