Humax Freesat upgrade

Old August 3rd 17, 02:55 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David[_14_]

Default Humax Freesat upgrade

We have a (several years) old Humax Foxsat HD where the BBC iPlayer no
longer works and there is no recording capability (internal or external).

We also have a Humax HB1000S with an external drive for recording. The
only issue with this is the single tuner which means you can't watch one
thing and record another. However this isn't a massive issue because I
would have to upgrade from a 4 port LNB to an 8 port LNB and run extra
cable around the house to be able to use any more tuners.

Now Humax Direct offer a refurbished HB-1000S for £69 and I can get a 1TB
external USB drive from Argos for under £50 so for around £120 I can get a
more recent Freesat recorder.

The cheapest from Humax with an internal disc is the HDR-1100S 500GB at
£149.99. 1TB is £189.99.

So I am struggling to decide if I should get the 2 tuner setup for the
extra recording ability or just get another single tuner setup and source
an external drive.

Any other options which perform as well as the Humax and also don't cost a
fortune?

I'm just trying to work out at the moment if I will regret not getting
that extra tuner.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Old August 3rd 17, 02:59 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David[_14_]

On Thu, 03 Aug 2017 14:55:19 +0000, David wrote:

[...]

Just checked back and our current HB1000S (G) cost us £39.
Grumble.
Then again that was an amazingly good price!

Cheers

Dave R

---

Old August 3rd 17, 03:21 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

"David" wrote in message
[...]

how can we answer that?

I would be lost without twin record capacity

But it is clear that others manage adequately without it

Old August 3rd 17, 03:24 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

"David" wrote in message
[...]

99 pounds new in Currys (other retailers available)

tim

Old August 3rd 17, 04:05 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

If you could site the unit near the dish and get that bigger lnb and then
use the output from that device to feed the rest of the system that will at
least allow you to record more but still keep your cables.

"tim..." wrote in message
news

Old August 3rd 17, 04:09 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David[_14_]

On Thu, 03 Aug 2017 16:21:16 +0100, tim... wrote:

"David" wrote in message
[...]

Further disclosure.

We have Virgin Media and a Tivo (with 3 tuners) downstairs.
So most stuff can be recorded on there and played back later.
However I find it really useful to be able to record things that are in my
special interest range such as cycle races (e.g. TDF) and F1 and be able
to play them back without competing for the main recorder.

Current upgrade requirement is that my partner has the older box upstairs
and can no longer watch iPlayer.
It would be nice if the upgrade could also record stuff.
However it is always available downstairs.

Haven't progressed to being able to play Tivo recordings on other devices.

So I can see extra flexibility (and I have had issues where TDF conflicts
with F1 on rare occasions) with two tuners but I'm trying to decide if I'm
just naturally tight with money and a larger LNB and a multi-tuner STB
would be a good long term investment.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Old August 3rd 17, 04:39 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave W

On 03/08/2017 15:55, David wrote:
[...]

I have an old Humax Foxsat HDR. It only has two LNB inputs, one of which
has an output for looping through to the other. I only use one input and
loop through. When recording, channels on different band and
polarisation are greyed out, but I can usually find a regional
alternative BBC channel to record that as well. So often I can be
recording two and watching a third if its band and polarisation is the
same as one of the ones being recorded.

I have never yet felt the need to go to a dual LNB, let alone quad. I
would try to buy a second-hand Foxsat HDR, because there is software
available for it on the web to prevent the encryption of HD recordings,
allowing you to preserve them for replay on another device.
--
Dave W
Old August 3rd 17, 06:00 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
Everything is set to go up in price a lot in the next year or so, so now
is the time to jump.

OTOH the price of Freesat boxes hasn't moved in the past 3 years, despite 1
and a half iterations of Moore's law

tim

Old August 4th 17, 06:38 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

On 03/08/2017 16:26, Martin wrote:

Humax make a three tuner Freeview, but not Freesat ???, PVR too. :-)

Freesat recorders seem to all have one LNB connection per tuner.
Assuming that because they are all configured like that such an
arrangement is necessary (after all, Freeview recorders have a single
aerial connection serving however many tuners are provided), then
requiring yet another cable from a LNB to operate a third tuner could
put potential buyers off.