So retune day ishere..

Old August 2nd 17, 09:15 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul Ratcliffe

Default So retune day ishere..

On Wed, 2 Aug 2017 21:23:46 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

Certainly not much variation across the BBC "local" radio stations, at
the moment the same chap (Georgey Spanswick? Google seems to think it
should be a woman) seems to be on

BBC Derby
BBC Northampton
BBC Lincolnshire
BBC Leicester
BBC Nottingham
BBC Coventry & Warwickshire
BBC Hereford & Worcester
BBC Humberside
BBC Norfolk
BBC Sheffield
BBC Stoke
BBC West Midlands

Which is all that I receive, are there other presenters in different
local groups, or is it effectively a national show?

It's a national show between 7pm and 10pm. One of the many Quts
to save money.
Old August 2nd 17, 09:24 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

On 02/08/2017 18:53, Andy Burns wrote:
Max Demian wrote:

I think you can
carry on using the old numbers on a non-retuned set.

And if you /do/ retune, looks like you'll end up with dozens of
place-holder channels saying

"GodSquad2 has now moved to channel NNN"
"CheapSlappers is now on channel YYY between 03:35 and 04:25"

Just delete them (if your receiver allows).

--
Max Demian
Old August 3rd 17, 07:37 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

pamela wrote:

What exactly is the benefit of retuning?

You get the channels shuffled into the order "they" want you to have them.

Do I get a few additional channels (usually uninteresting)?

You'll get one extra "coming soon" sports news channel.

Old August 3rd 17, 07:43 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

What a bloody mess.
So the much advertised and promoed retune day was yesterday. What a mess
this morning. After several attempts I've given up.
Ch8 is now on 805, the kids programs, some were in the old place some the
new place, the news have moved to the 231 etc, but all the old channels
markers are still there cluttering it up, including the adult ones, this
also goes for some of the
data channels and some of the streaming ones as well. None of the shopping
channels seem to have moved at all.
So what was the bloody point?
Its now a mess. Even if you clear out the old rubbish with a factory reset
and retune the old channels are still there some with a very helpful logo
that they have moved but no indication to a user where to.

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Brian Gaff wrote:

Should I expect it now or wait till tonight?

mid-day on the wednesday is traditional, isn't it?

Old August 3rd 17, 07:57 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

The annoying thing here in London seems to be this. For a blind viewer the
only spoken messages on the old dead channels is that the channel has moved
but not where to. Also ch8, the local London station has inexplicably
appeared on ch 805 and som3e other channels are also up in the 7 and 8
hundereds also when they were in fact lower down. None of the shopping
channels have moved at all. and why is it that some of the third party kids
channels have moveed but not all of them?
As I said in my first rant, it seems to be a complete balls up from my
standpoint. I have two boxes and on the one not retuned a number of channels
vanished and ended up in the 800s as well, but on a retune they are back
except the channel 8 one and those few others.

"NY" wrote in message
o.uk...
"Terry Casey" wrote in message
In article
,
says...

On my TV, after a retune, the old channel (eg 130 for BBC
NEWS) bring up a static page saying what the new LCNs are
for the various channels. On a TV/PVR that has not yet
been retuned, you still get the channel on the old LCN. I
presume that it's to allow a period of overlap in which to
retune.

Surely the point is that nothing has changed from a
transmission point of view? The programmes themselves are
still being transmitted in the same position within each
transport stream as before and it is just the LOGICAL
channel number that has changed.

Each device stores all the information relevant to all the
programmes when you retune, including the logical channel
number. Thus, if you don't retune, you continue to use the
'old' number but it still correctly points to the correct
incoming portion of the signal and will continue to do so in
perpetuity, provided that the transmission sequence remains
unchanged.

Is that actually true even after the old LCN record is removed from the
relevant table in the stream? I imagine this will happen fairly soon to
avoid the list of channels that a TV displays being cluttered up with all
the dead ones. After all, the whole point of the renumbering is to free up
LCNs in other numbering ranges.

What annoys me is that channels like the news channels have already moved
once, a few years ago: BBC News used to be on an LCN in the 80s (IIRC),
then it changed to 130 and now it's moved again.

The central authority that assigns LCNs really ought to have done the job
correctly the first time, leaving enough space between genres of channels
than no further renumbering was necessary.

Maybe I'm unusual, but I always change channels by entering the LCN,
rather than by scrolling up and down the list - unless it's only one or
two channels away from the present one. Having to learn new LCNs is a
hassle.

As for PVRs, a lot depends on how the software has been written. If it
uses the stream ID (which probably remains the same forever proving the
channel remains on the same mux) then there's no problem. However if it
uses the LCN then it will have a timer event which points to the wrong
channel.

Old August 3rd 17, 08:00 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

No but at least digital tuners do not burst into smoke and flames or need
contact cleaner to restore operation after a few months.

"pamela" wrote in message
On 15:33 2 Aug 2017, Terry Casey wrote:

In article
,
says...

On my TV, after a retune, the old channel (eg 130 for BBC
NEWS) bring up a static page saying what the new LCNs are
for the various channels. On a TV/PVR that has not yet
been retuned, you still get the channel on the old LCN. I
presume that it's to allow a period of overlap in which to
retune.

Surely the point is that nothing has changed from a
transmission point of view? The programmes themselves are
still being transmitted in the same position within each
transport stream as before and it is just the LOGICAL
channel number that has changed.

That's a relief because it might save me retuning my telly.

What exactly is the benefit of retuning? Do I get a few
additional channels (usually uninteresting)?

Each device stores all the information relevant to all the
programmes when you retune, including the logical channel
number. Thus, if you don't retune, you continue to use the
'old' number but it still correctly points to the correct
incoming portion of the signal and will continue to do so in
perpetuity, provided that the transmission sequence remains
unchanged.

If you retune a different receiver, it will store the new
look-up table in its memory and the old number no longer
points to a valid transmission but to the static page you
are seeing.

After ITV first started, most sets were equipped with 13
channel turret tuners. In the London area, BBC was on
channel 1 and ITV was on channel 9, which also happened to
correspond to the first and ninth positions on the turret.

Later on, some manufacturers, realising that the same
pairing existed in different parts of the country, started
producing sets where the channel sequence went 1, 9, 2, 10,
3, 11 and so on so that it only took one click forwards or
backwards to change channel. If you continued to click round
nine positions from the BBC position, you now received
nothing - (the technology to display a messge telling you
what you had done wrong didn't exist in those days!)

However, as the two programmes were now on the first and
second positions of the turret, the actual transmissions
were still on channels 1 and 9.

There's nothing new under the sun, they say!

Old August 3rd 17, 09:57 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

On Thu, 3 Aug 2017 08:57:50 +0100
"Brian Gaff" wrote:

The annoying thing here in London seems to be this. For a blind
viewer the only spoken messages on the old dead channels is that the
channel has moved but not where to.

Don't worry, that's all the grid shows, too. So BBC News, which used to
be on Freeview 130, has been moved, but it gives you no idea where to.
That's probably so that you have to scan through all the channels, and
see what wonderful other ones are available to you.

When I retuned my downstairs set yesterday, I got the double-booking
effect, the old channels and the new ones. I'll re-re-tune today, and
see if they are better.

The wife is not happy about all this!

--
Davey.
Old August 3rd 17, 10:00 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Davey wrote:

BBC News, which used to be on Freeview 130, has been moved, but it
gives you no idea where to.

I think the vacated BBC channels display an MHEG after a few seconds
summarising the changes, I've deleted them now.

Old August 3rd 17, 10:03 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

On Thu, 3 Aug 2017 11:00:33 +0100
Andy Burns wrote:

Davey wrote:

BBC News, which used to be on Freeview 130, has been moved, but it
gives you no idea where to.

I think the vacated BBC channels display an MHEG after a few seconds
summarising the changes, I've deleted them now.

Ah! I'll give that a shot before I do my re-re-tune. Do you have to
tune to one of those channels to see the notice?

--
Davey.