BBC news coverage of the Passchendaele centenary.

Old July 31st 17, 06:23 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Terry Casey[_2_]

Default BBC news coverage of the Passchendaele centenary.

I was appalled by the inaccuracies in the the BBC's 10
o'clock News last night in the reports of the centenary of
the start of the Third Battle of Ieper.

The battle lasted three months until the village of
Passchendaele - its target, was reached - we were told.
WRONG! WRONG! WRONG!

The target was the North Sea ports with the intention of
halting the activities of the German U-boats which were
using them.

Later, at the Menin Gate, we were told that the 55,000 names
on the memorial were those of the men who died at
Paschendael and have no known graves. WRONG! WRONG! WRONG!

As Wikipedia states: 'On completion of the memorial, it was
discovered to be too small to contain all the names as
originally planned. An arbitrary cut-off point of 15 August
1917 was chosen and the names of 34,984 UK missing after
this date were inscribed on the Tyne Cot Memorial to the
Missing instead.'

So yes, a few of the names will be of men who fought in the
first fortnight of the battle but the vast majority are not!

In the entire report there was only one person - a
representitive of The Commonwealth War Graves Commission -
who correctly pronounced the name of the town - Ieper. All
the rest mangled the pronunciation of the French name for
this Flemish town (Ypres). True, that is the name by which
it was known in WWI, but it was as wrong then as it is now.

When Belgium first gained its independence in 1830, all of
the coal, steel and manufacturing industry - hence the
wealth of the country - were in the south in French speaking
Wallonia.

So the Walloons took control of the country and said that
the language would be French and those peasant farmers in
the north could like it or lump it. Thus began the struggle
by the Flemish for the right to their own identity and there
are now, after over a century, separate Walloon and Flemish
parliaments. My and my wife's respective French teacher told
us, incorrectly, that you could speak French in Belgium. I
think the average Fleming would find this rather insulting
and trying out your schoolboy (or girl) French in Flanders
is not recommended!

Go to Flanders expecting helpful road signs to guide you to
Ypres Centre Ville will get you nowhere. the signs you
should be looking for say Ieper Centrum ...

I think the prize for the worst pronunciation of Ypres must
go to Helen Mirren who, in the earlier program on BBC2,
repeatedly said Eep-rah - where did the ah come from? The
French famously do not pronounce the ends of their words and
Ypres is no exception with only the r being pronounced, thus
Eepr.

Don't worry folks! After all, it's only our licence money
that pays for all this plus, for the concert in Ieper
itself, presumably our taxes ...

--

Terry
Old July 31st 17, 06:33 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

"Terry Casey" wrote in message

I was appalled by the inaccuracies in the the BBC's 10
o'clock News last night in the reports of the centenary of
the start of the Third Battle of Ieper.

well if you want to be a pedant

it's Ypres

Old July 31st 17, 08:43 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Jackson[_7_]

In message ,
Terry Casey writes

[...]

Most Flemish speak French nearly as well as they speak English. Many
Walloons don't really speak much Flemish (if at all) - and even fewer
speak any English.

As most Flemish speak English (ranging from a-fair-bit to excellent),
there's not much point in trying to speak to them in French. But if the
odd occasion required it, I can't recall that anyone ever objected.

I recall that, on several occasions, I suggested that English should be
adopted as Belgium's national language, and Flemish and/or French
relegated to a second language. I got some strange looks.

Go to Flanders expecting helpful road signs to guide you to
Ypres Centre Ville will get you nowhere. the signs you
should be looking for say Ieper Centrum ...

I think the prize for the worst pronunciation of Ypres must
go to Helen Mirren who, in the earlier program on BBC2,
repeatedly said Eep-rah - where did the ah come from?

The 'Escape To The Country' presenters sometimes don't bother too much
about the places they visit. In particular, I recall one presenter
repeatedly pronouncing the River Coquet (KO-ket) as 'coquette'.

Old July 31st 17, 08:47 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Jackson[_7_]

In message , tim...
writes

"Terry Casey" wrote in message

I was appalled by the inaccuracies in the the BBC's 10
o'clock News last night in the reports of the centenary of
the start of the Third Battle of Ieper.

well if you want to be a pedant

it's Ypres

How many Brits know how to get from Luik to Anvers?

--
Ian
Old July 31st 17, 09:03 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Phi

"tim..." wrote in message
news

"Terry Casey" wrote in message

I was appalled by the inaccuracies in the the BBC's 10
o'clock News last night in the reports of the centenary of
the start of the Third Battle of Ieper.

well if you want to be a pedant

it's Ypres

Known colloqually as 'Wipers' by the Brits.

Old July 31st 17, 09:16 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

[...]

And what about Kirsty pronounced it - just once - as Yprez!!

I think, from the way she kept halting mid-word that Helen Mirren was
using a teleprompter probably displayed on big screens at the back of
the audience. (Often used by politicians as well when they seem to be
walking about on stage talking without notes.)

The Today prog on Sat morning refered to the "Menin Gate where day
after day, month after month, year after year, decade after decade
(loosing the will to live here...) a lone bugler plays the last post
at 8pm." I wouldn't tell the other seven (firemen) that form the team
that! The fewest I've seen is three and more often than not its four!

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old July 31st 17, 09:51 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
John Hall[_2_]

In message , Ian Jackson
writes
How many Brits know how to get from Luik to Anvers?

I don't know, but I know all about bringing the good news from Ghent to
Aix.

Anyone who has no idea of what I'm on about should see:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_Th...m_Ghent_to_Aix
--
John Hall
"Three o'clock is always too late or too early
Old July 31st 17, 10:15 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Robin[_8_]

On 31/07/2017 18:23, Terry Casey wrote:

I was appalled by the inaccuracies in the the BBC's 10
o'clock News last night in the reports of the centenary of
the start of the Third Battle of Ieper.

I agree with you as regards the facts of the war. But I feel your
criticism of the use of Ypres is OTT. That is how the place was and is
generally known to the British; and the town's own tourist site seems to
have no problem with Ypres for English. In other words, I suggest they
like me see the town as having many names in many different languages -
a sign of how widely known it is in different countries.

http://www.toerisme-ieper.be/en/page...in-ypres-.html

Similarly while the French and English names for Ieper may be spelt the
same (Ypres) they are not necessarily pronounced the same. A bit like
Paris perhaps - apart from those who always pronounce that as a French
speaker would, even when speaking English.

--
Robin