BBC news coverage of the Passchendaele centenary.

Old August 1st 17, 03:38 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Norman Wells[_6_]

Default BBC news coverage of the Passchendaele centenary.

On 01/08/2017 16:05, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Tue, 1 Aug 2017 15:39:27 +0100, Robin wrote:

On 01/08/2017 14:30, Martin wrote:

Home of Grolsch and Bovril now.

That's not a drink I've heard ordered in London!

Probably a variant on sherry and Bovril, as drunk by the Navy in WW2.

That reminded me of 'In Which We Serve' where Noel Coward says the
wonderful line in his clipped way to some sailor he's just rescued:
"It's just ordinary Bovril, heavily laced with sherry".
Old August 1st 17, 04:43 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
MR

On Monday, 31 July 2017 20:48:04 UTC+1, Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , tim...
writes

"Terry Casey" wrote in message

I was appalled by the inaccuracies in the the BBC's 10
o'clock News last night in the reports of the centenary of
the start of the Third Battle of Ieper.

well if you want to be a pedant

it's Ypres

How many Brits know how to get from Luik to Anvers?

--
Ian

Liege to Antwerpen.

Or from Gand to Rijsel?

MR
Old August 1st 17, 07:07 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tedjrr[_4_]

On Monday, July 31, 2017 at 9:37:38 PM UTC+1, Terry Casey wrote:

How would you get from Brugge to Rijsel?

By changing at Bruxelles Zuid, err Midi, err South?
Old August 1st 17, 07:54 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Vir Campestris

On 31/07/2017 21:37, Terry Casey wrote:
How would you get from Brugge to Rijsel?

It wasn't until I went there that I realised Zeebrugge was the port for
Bruges... and one of my colleagues comes from Gdansk. He speaks fluent
German for some odd reason

I would have accepted Wipers. Eeper sounded odd; I've only ever heard Eepre.

Andy
Old August 1st 17, 09:27 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

On 01/08/2017 16:38, Robin wrote:

But then officers
weren't entitled to the rum ration given to warrant officers and ratings.

Are you sure about that? I always thought that the ratings got "grog"
(rum and water) and the officers got the rum neat.

Old August 1st 17, 10:05 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Robin[_8_]

On 2017-08-01, Indy Jess John wrote:
On 01/08/2017 16:38, Robin wrote:

But then officers
weren't entitled to the rum ration given to warrant officers and ratings.

Are you sure about that? I always thought that the ratings got "grog"
(rum and water) and the officers got the rum neat.

Indeed. But officer's run ration stopped in 1881 (IIRC).

IIRC the ratings got grog but the warrant officers were trusted with
neat rum.

--
Robin
Old August 2nd 17, 07:53 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
On Wed, 02 Aug 2017 09:17:42 +0200, Martin wrote:

On 2017-08-01, Indy Jess John wrote:
On 01/08/2017 16:38, Robin wrote:

But then officers
weren't entitled to the rum ration given to warrant officers and
ratings.

Are you sure about that? I always thought that the ratings got "grog"
(rum and water) and the officers got the rum neat.

Indeed. But officer's run ration stopped in 1881 (IIRC).

IIRC the ratings got grog but the warrant officers were trusted with
neat rum.

and rum rations stopped in the 1970s. I knew the Dutch guy who bought most
of
the RNs remaining stock of rum. He was the nth generation of a Dutch
family,
which imported rum.

A lot of the rum was stored in a depot outside Plymouth. It was said
to be not of the highest quality, and expected to be sold purely for
its alcohol content which would be distilled off for industrial use.
From your comment, that didn't happen, at least not to some of it.

Some interesting accounts here
http://www.upspirits.co.uk/disposal-of-kit.html and scroll down. A lot
of it (4,800 gallons apparently) sold for 6.33 a gallon.

Also an account of what 'grog' was (half a ping of rum diluted with a

I'm guessing you meant pint

Old August 2nd 17, 09:22 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Terry Casey[_2_]

In article ,
says...

FWIW the Ferraris map of Belgium, 1777, has alternatives YPRE or IPRES
http://tinyurl.com/ya2vex6x

I think you'll find that King Louis XVI of France ruled
Flanders in 1777 so the French name isn't surprising!

Incidentally, the Ieper fortifications, of which the parts
still remaining in the 20th (and 21st) centuries
fortuitously faced the Germans, were built by a
distinguished French military architect le Marquis de Vauban
(1633?1707)during the reign of Louis XIV of France.

It is a tribute to Vauban's skills that the only place in
Ieper safe from the German shelling during WWI was deep down
under the ramparts of Vauban's fortifications.

--

Terry
Old August 3rd 17, 10:05 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

On Wed, 02 Aug 2017 09:36:15 +0100
Chris Hogg wrote:

g and t being adjacent on the