BBC news coverage of the Passchendaele centenary.

Old July 31st 17, 10:18 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Jackson[_7_]

Default BBC news coverage of the Passchendaele centenary.

In message ,
Terry Casey writes
In article ,
says...

How many Brits know how to get from Luik to Anvers?

Why would they even try? Luik is the Flemish name of Liège,
which is the capital of French speaking Wallonia.

Anvers is the French name for the Flemish port of Antwerpen.

So you wouldn't be starting from Luik in the first place as
the Flemish name would't be used there.

If navigating by road signs, it would be useful to follow
signs to Anver until you cross the languade frontier but,
from then on, all signs will say Antwerpen.

How would you get from Brugge to Rijsel?

In my case, only by first Googling 'Rijsel'! So THAT'S where it is!

--
Ian
Old July 31st 17, 10:19 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Robin[_8_]

On 31/07/2017 21:16, Woody wrote:

The Today prog on Sat morning refered to the "Menin Gate where day
after day, month after month, year after year, decade after decade
(loosing the will to live here...) a lone bugler plays the last post
at 8pm." I wouldn't tell the other seven (firemen) that form the team
that! The fewest I've seen is three and more often than not its four!

Yes that was embarrasing. (AIUI there has very rarely been only one but
that's because they always roster at least 2 so if one is delayed/taken
ill the ceremony goes ahead.)

--
Robin
Old July 31st 17, 10:22 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Jackson[_7_]

In message , John Hall
writes
In message , Ian Jackson
writes
How many Brits know how to get from Luik to Anvers?

I don't know, but I know all about bringing the good news from Ghent to
Aix.

Anyone who has no idea of what I'm on about should see:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_Th...m_Ghent_to_Aix

AIUI, no one in Belgium spells it 'Ghent'.
--
Ian
Old August 1st 17, 07:15 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

I was actually wondering why they threw so many resources at this in the
first place. OK its public interest but not really urgent news for the first
and major item in a nightly news programme is it? What about the unrest in
that prison or the run up to that riot in London last night?

"tim..." wrote in message
news

"Terry Casey" wrote in message

I was appalled by the inaccuracies in the the BBC's 10
o'clock News last night in the reports of the centenary of
the start of the Third Battle of Ieper.

well if you want to be a pedant

it's Ypres

Old August 1st 17, 10:25 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Jackson[_7_]

In message , Chris Hogg
writes
On Tue, 01 Aug 2017 11:03:24 +0200, Martin wrote:

On Mon, 31 Jul 2017 22:22:19 +0100, Ian Jackson
wrote:

In message , John Hall
writes
In message , Ian Jackson
writes

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_Th..._News_from_Ghe
nt_to_Aix

AIUI, no one in Belgium spells it 'Ghent'.

is that why instead of coming he went?

I thought he was from Burton on Trent.

That wouldn't scan, would it?
--
Ian
Old August 1st 17, 03:39 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Robin[_8_]

On 01/08/2017 14:30, Martin wrote:

Home of Grolsch and Bovril now.

That's not a drink I've heard ordered in London!
--
Robin
Old August 1st 17, 04:38 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Robin[_8_]

On 01/08/2017 16:05, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Tue, 1 Aug 2017 15:39:27 +0100, Robin wrote:

On 01/08/2017 14:30, Martin wrote:

Home of Grolsch and Bovril now.

That's not a drink I've heard ordered in London!

Probably a variant on sherry and Bovril, as drunk by the Navy in WW2.

In case anyone thinks that's "neat" Bovril in sherry, IIRC the drink was
the usual Bovril mixed into hot water plus a (heavy-handed!) dash of
sherry. And I think only for the officers, who would have been brought
up to appreciate a consommé made with a decent Fino But then officers
weren't entitled to the rum ration given to warrant officers and ratings.

--
Robin