IOT] Bostik No,. 2

Old August 1st 17, 09:45 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Jackson[_7_]

Default IOT] Bostik No,. 2

In message , Max
Demian writes
On 01/08/2017 19:07, Andy Burns wrote:
Pinnerite wrote:

Pinnerite wrote:

I needed to plug the top of a small short black plastic tube. After
scratching my head for a bit, I remembered that I once had a tube of
Bostik number 2, kept in a garage drawer.

Unfortunately we have not heard of this product.

Was it a particularly gungey thick black glue, with a big 'key' to
wind it from the bottom of the tube? I seem to remember Dad eeking
out a tube for decades ...

I remember a similar tube of gungy *white* glue. I assumed that was the
best that Bostik could manage at the time.

And there was, "Don't say glue, say UHU! It'll stick to anything".

There used to be loads of rubbish glues in the past, not to mention
wood glue made by boiling down cow hoofs, and a cold water version of
flour-and-water glue, which I think was called "Tapwatar". I used a
version of the latter to cement together the ceramic bricks of my
Brickplayer kit: http://www.brickplayer.co.uk/ . You soaked them it
water to disassemble them.

Was it not called 'Tapwatter'? I remember that we used it in my primary
school (1940s and 50s).
--
Ian
Old August 1st 17, 10:47 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

Pinnerite wrote:

Pinnerite wrote:

I needed to plug the top of a small short black plastic tube. After
scratching my head for a bit, I remembered that I once had a tube of
Bostik number 2, kept in a garage drawer.

Unfortunately we have not heard of this product.
Was it a particularly gungey thick black glue, with a big 'key' to
wind it from the bottom of the tube? I seem to remember Dad eeking
out a tube for decades ...

I remember a similar tube of gungy *white* glue. I assumed that was
the best that Bostik could manage at the time.

And there was, "Don't say glue, say UHU! It'll stick to anything".

Actually I was thinking of, "Stick to Seccotine, it sticks anything."
http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/images/...-Seccotine.jpg
(Rubbish fishy glue)

There used to be loads of rubbish glues in the past, not to mention
wood glue made by boiling down cow hoofs, and a cold water version of
flour-and-water glue, which I think was called "Tapwatar". I used a
version of the latter to cement together the ceramic bricks of my
Brickplayer kit: http://www.brickplayer.co.uk/ . You soaked them it
water to disassemble them.

Was it not called 'Tapwatter'? I remember that we used it in my primary
school (1940s and 50s).

Possibly. Neither spelling is recognised by Google (so it doesn't exist).

--
Max Demian
Old August 2nd 17, 08:16 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
pinnerite

Andy Burns wrote:

Pinnerite wrote:

Pinnerite wrote:

I needed to plug the top of a small short black plastic tube. After
scratching my head for a bit, I remembered that I once had a tube of
Bostik number 2, kept in a garage drawer.

Unfortunately we have not heard of this product.

Was it a particularly gungey thick black glue, with a big 'key' to wind
it from the bottom of the tube? I seem to remember Dad eeking out a tube
for decades ...

It was and I have just used mine, I think inherited from my dad.

I had just completed the construction one of those tiny oscilloscope kits.
(DSO 15001K). It needs a female plug to inject a power supply from a PP3
battery.

The PP3 connector is a pig to get on and off so I wanted to keep it on,
which meant shielding the female plug at the other end of the lead.

I found an unwanted 3.5 mm plug with a protective hose. I chopped that off.
Perfect, except that it was open at the non-business end. Solution? Bostik
No 2. A glob of that, 24 hours and Bingo!

Old August 2nd 17, 08:44 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Jackson[_7_]

In message , Max
Demian writes
Pinnerite wrote:

Pinnerite wrote:

[...]

'Tapwatta' then?

IIRC, Tapwhatever was a bit like wallpaper paste powder.

(so it doesn't exist).

Google hasn't heard of 'Dickie Duck and Walter Rabbit' either - a book I
bought at a jumble sale when I was maybe six years old. I really loved
it, but it's long since gone.

Getting back on-thread, I've just bought what I thought was Bostik - but
it turned out to be 'EverBuild'. The one I got was 'Stick2 Instant' (1
minute), and I used it to stick part of the sole back on my wife's shoes
(several years old, but hardly ever worn). I would have preferred the
'rubber solution' that comes with a pair of stick-on soles, but it seems
that the only way to get it is to buy a pair of stick-on soles.

--
Ian
Old August 2nd 17, 09:14 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Robin[_8_]

On 02/08/2017 08:44, Ian Jackson wrote:
Google hasn't heard of 'Dickie Duck and Walter Rabbit' either - a book I
bought at a jumble sale when I was maybe six years old. I really loved
it, but it's long since gone.

Any chance the title was actually Dicky Duck & Wonderful Walter?

That is known unto Google - and the British Library. And yours for
£17.48 from eBay (albeit a copy which is not so much "foxed" as
"badgered, bulldogged and very possibly bisoned" - and very possibly in
need of some Bostik. But then IMHO that's often the result when
nostalgia becomes real

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dicky-Duck-Wonderful-Walter-Book-Harry-Rountree-1111-ID-48836-/132258634008?hash=item1ecb3a9918:g:8ukAAOSwTVtZZhp 6

--
Robin
Old August 2nd 17, 10:20 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Jackson[_7_]

In message , Robin
writes
On 02/08/2017 08:44, Ian Jackson wrote:
Google hasn't heard of 'Dickie Duck and Walter Rabbit' either - a
book I bought at a jumble sale when I was maybe six years old. I
really loved it, but it's long since gone.

Any chance the title was actually Dicky Duck & Wonderful Walter?

That is known unto Google - and the British Library. And yours for
17.48 from eBay (albeit a copy which is not so much "foxed" as
"badgered, bulldogged and very possibly bisoned" - and very possibly in
need of some Bostik. But then IMHO that's often the result when
nostalgia becomes real

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dicky-Duck...k-Harry-Rountr
ee-1111-ID-48836-/132258634008?hash=item1ecb3a9918:g:8ukAAOSwTVtZZhp 6

Interesting. Thanks.

The front of the book doesn't look familiar (I think my book was all
blue), but it's interesting that Walter IS a rabbit. Maybe there was a
series of books. I'll do a search on the author, Harry Rowntree.

I remember a 'poem' in it:
Dickitty Duckitty fell in the muckitty
Dickitty Duckitty did.
He fell in the mud and got all muckitty
Dickitty Duckitty did.
--
Ian
Old August 2nd 17, 12:29 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

On 02/08/2017 08:44, Ian Jackson wrote:

I would have preferred the
'rubber solution' that comes with a pair of stick-on soles, but it seems
that the only way to get it is to buy a pair of stick-on soles.

I am pretty sure that the "rubber solution" was Bostik Contact Adhesive
or similar. You coated both surfaces and waited for enough solvent to
evaporate that you could touch them without getting any on your fingers,
then you brought the two surfaces together and they stuck instantly.

Old August 2nd 17, 12:56 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Jackson[_7_]

In message , Indy Jess John
writes
On 02/08/2017 08:44, Ian Jackson wrote:

I would have preferred the
'rubber solution' that comes with a pair of stick-on soles, but it seems
that the only way to get it is to buy a pair of stick-on soles.

I am pretty sure that the "rubber solution" was Bostik Contact Adhesive
or similar. You coated both surfaces and waited for enough solvent to
evaporate that you could touch them without getting any on your
fingers, then you brought the two surfaces together and they stuck
instantly.

When used for its intended purpose, it's better than other adhesives. It
has no bulk to it, and I think it dissolves the surface of the stick-on
rubber sole so it bonds extremely well. Ordinary contact adhesives don't
necessarily do this.

--
Ian
Old August 2nd 17, 04:24 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
pinnerite

Martin wrote:

On Wed, 02 Aug 2017 08:16:44 +0100, Pinnerite wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Pinnerite wrote:

Pinnerite wrote:

[...]

You could also use Sikaflex.

You could but you'd be wasting money if, like me you just needed a dab.
Bostik 2 cane with a toothpaste tube-like screw top. Sealants do not, at
least in my experience.

Old August 3rd 17, 10:44 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Robin[_8_]

On 03/08/2017 09:26, Martin wrote:

Not all versions, some tubes have those fixed on nozzles that are a
PIA if you haven't used all of a product and want to seal it again
for use later.

Inserting a piece of polythene between the nozzle and the tube solves that
problem.

With "those fixed on nozzles"?

--
Robin