BBC News Blunder

Old August 10th 17, 01:10 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles[_2_]

Default BBC News Blunder

In article ,
Terry Casey wrote:
In article
,
says...

How long in advance of decimalisation day was the date announced? You'd
think that LT buses could have got their act together for the crucial date.
I wonder what internal cockup caused their date to slip by a week.

It was deliberate and announced well in advance but, if they
ever stated a reason, I've forgotten what it was.

The railways, including the tube and the underground, went
decimal on D-day.

What were the rules in general about giving Lsd in shops after
decimalisation? Was there a period of parallel running, with shops
eventually not accepting them, or did the changeover happen on the day, with
shops *officially* only accepting new pence, and with the public being
encouraged exchange their Lsd coins for new pence at a bank?

Don't forget that only copper coins were affected. Shillings
and florins had been minted as 5p & 10p coins for 4 years
and the 'ten bob bit' had only ever been minted as a 50p
coin.

The rule for copper was that the coins tendered had to have
an exact value in decimal which meant multiple of 6d.

Thus the example of my 13.5p pint of beer for which I
tendered 11p and a tanner (6d = 2.5p)

Had I had the right coins, I could have tendered 11p and six
old pennies.

Similarly, if I hadn't had the odd penny, I could have
tendered 2p instead, so 12p + 6d and got 1p change.

When the retailer banked the old copper it vanished
completely so it only took a short time for all the old coin
to disappear automatically, after which there was no
problem.

I've got a collection of over 100 farthings, and they haven't dissapeared.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Old August 10th 17, 01:15 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

On 10/08/2017 14:10, charles wrote:

I've got a collection of over 100 farthings, and they haven't disappeared.

They might, now that you have advertised that you have got them :-(