I can't get rid of the smell

Old July 23rd 17, 06:19 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Field

Default I can't get rid of the smell

Covertly attach the kit to someone's PC and email them a turd GIF when you
get home.

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
Yes I was avoiding this. it has been done. Apparently its the latest thing
so people like HP and others instead of selling you hyper expensive ink
refills they will sell you smell refills for the smellyvision dispenser
system.

"Ian Field" wrote in message

"Indy Jess John" wrote in message
On 21/07/2017 17:29, Brian Gaff wrote:

Has anyone heard of this before? I know sometimes when you are ill
you get
spurious smells but I don't think that is the case here, unless some
bugs
living in my TV have taken up residency in my nose.

The most likely explanation is that the smell has got into your clothing
and you are carrying it around with you.

I had a doctor's appointment last year, with a doctor I was seeing for
the first time. She asked me how many I smoked, and I told her I hadn't
smoked for over 40 years. She thought that unusual because she could
smell the smoke. It seems that earlier in the day I had been in the
company of a friend who smoked, and the smell had got into my clothes,
and that is why she assumed I smoked.

Something similar may have happened to you with the smell from the TV.

At long last! - Smellyvision.

Old July 23rd 17, 06:21 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Field

"Charlie+" wrote in message
On Fri, 21 Jul 2017 17:29:24 +0100, "Brian Gaff"
wrote as underneath :

T'other day, I put on my not that old TV. I never normally use it when I'm
here on my own as the screen is a little redundant. However it was dusty
inside it and as it got warm it made a smell not unlike that combination
of
old fan heater and melting transformer varnish one gets on older gear. No
its flat screen, but anyway, eventually I forgot about it and yet since
then all I can smell is this smell. Its in my nose even if I'm in another
house.
Has anyone heard of this before? I know sometimes when you are ill you
get
spurious smells but I don't think that is the case here, unless some bugs
living in my TV have taken up residency in my nose.
Brian

I would bet on one of those across the mains self healing capacitors in
the TV power supply is on the way out, the smell is incredibly pervasive

A burned out selenium EHT stick is one you'll never
forget....................

Old July 23rd 17, 07:16 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

On 23/07/2017 15:45, Brian Gaff wrote:
Somebody obviously had too much time on their hands. There is a fundamental
issue about sundials, indeed there are two. One is the position of the sun
is not the same all year...

I've seen a sundial with a figure of eight shaped gnomon to compensate
for the (grandly named) equation of time.

--
Max Demian
Old July 24th 17, 07:33 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Oh I remember those.
I had one in a so quaintly named battery eliminator of the 1960s going
down.
I think it would make a good crowd control weapon.

Mind you exploding capacitors can make one heck of a mess if they occur on
an uncased piece of electronics.

Old July 24th 17, 07:35 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Yes you don't need the selenium in a high voltage device. They used to use
them in el cheapo battery eliminators at more reasonable voltages. the pong
was just as bad, I'm glad we all went silicon!

On 2017-07-23, Ian Field wrote:

[22 lines snipped]

A burned out selenium EHT stick is one you'll never
forget....................

I used to work on a site with a selenium recovery plant in an adjacent
building. The smells were ... interesting.

--
Today is Prickle-Prickle, the 58th day of Confusion in the YOLD 3183
I don't have an attitude problem.

Old July 24th 17, 07:42 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Yes it does but its not instant, that is the problem.
Mind you if you want painful RF burns are not nice.
I got one across my palm when I was a young un. Nobody told me that sleeved
wire when used as a transmitting aerial was dangerous if the transmitter is
quite powerful and the wire is in the way...

"Ian Field" wrote in message

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
Oh yes, I know that one. I got burned on my posterior by sitting on a
solder blob of course, it first seems like an itch, but by then its too
late, burned skin.

Contact with molten solder hurts like hell - I didn't feel the arc burn
till the damage amounted to a very sore ulcer that took ages to heal.

Old July 24th 17, 06:17 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Field

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
Yes it does but its not instant, that is the problem.
Mind you if you want painful RF burns are not nice.
I got one across my palm when I was a young un. Nobody told me that
sleeved wire when used as a transmitting aerial was dangerous if the
transmitter is quite powerful and the wire is in the way...

The cooking potential of microwaves was discovered by someone walking past
an aircraft radar antenna with a chocolate bar in their shirt pocket.

Old July 24th 17, 06:18 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Field

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
I'd imagine there might be anti Turd filters like spam filters by then.
Brian

You'd need a whole folder for all the kinds of smelly sea food.

Old July 24th 17, 06:20 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Field

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
Yes you don't need the selenium in a high voltage device.

Actually - Trr came as a nasty surprise when they switched from selenium to
silicon in TV EHT rectifiers.