I can't get rid of the smell

Old July 22nd 17, 06:27 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Field

Default I can't get rid of the smell

wrote in message
On Fri, 21 Jul 2017 17:29:24 +0100, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

T'other day, I put on my not that old TV. I never normally use it when I'm
here on my own as the screen is a little redundant. However it was dusty
inside it and as it got warm it made a smell not unlike that combination
of
old fan heater and melting transformer varnish one gets on older gear. No
its flat screen, but anyway, eventually I forgot about it and yet since
then all I can smell is this smell. Its in my nose even if I'm in another
house.

Do you live downwind of London W11?

Hitchin used to have a tannery...........................

Old July 23rd 17, 08:05 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Oh yes, I know that one. I got burned on my posterior by sitting on a solder
blob of course, it first seems like an itch, but by then its too late,
burned skin.

"Ian Field" wrote in message

"Norman Wells" wrote in message
On 21/07/2017 17:29, Brian Gaff wrote:
T'other day, I put on my not that old TV. I never normally use it when
I'm
here on my own as the screen is a little redundant. However it was dusty
inside it and as it got warm it made a smell not unlike that combination
of
old fan heater and melting transformer varnish one gets on older gear.
No
its flat screen, but anyway, eventually I forgot about it and yet since
then all I can smell is this smell. Its in my nose even if I'm in
another
house.
Has anyone heard of this before? I know sometimes when you are ill you
get
spurious smells but I don't think that is the case here, unless some
bugs
living in my TV have taken up residency in my nose.
Brian

Dust is largely made up of skin particles that you've shed. The smell
you notice is that of burning skin. It's important for survival of the
species that you recognise it and dislike it.

Like the time I was trying to adjust the horizontal frequency in an old
valve CTV and got an arc to my knuckle - didn't feel a thing till I
noticed the smell of burning flesh.

Old July 23rd 17, 08:09 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Yes I was avoiding this. it has been done. Apparently its the latest thing
so people like HP and others instead of selling you hyper expensive ink
refills they will sell you smell refills for the smellyvision dispenser
system.

"Ian Field" wrote in message

"Indy Jess John" wrote in message
On 21/07/2017 17:29, Brian Gaff wrote:

Has anyone heard of this before? I know sometimes when you are ill you
get
spurious smells but I don't think that is the case here, unless some
bugs
living in my TV have taken up residency in my nose.

The most likely explanation is that the smell has got into your clothing
and you are carrying it around with you.

I had a doctor's appointment last year, with a doctor I was seeing for
the first time. She asked me how many I smoked, and I told her I hadn't
smoked for over 40 years. She thought that unusual because she could
smell the smoke. It seems that earlier in the day I had been in the
company of a friend who smoked, and the smell had got into my clothes,
and that is why she assumed I smoked.

Something similar may have happened to you with the smell from the TV.

At long last! - Smellyvision.

Old July 23rd 17, 08:22 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

This tv has a power brick positioned elsewhere, but of course this does not
mean it has no dodgy caps inside it.
I have found what is exactly the same smell from my memory. Does everyone
recall many years ago the Decimo Jumbo digital clock?
It was not really digital at all, just the segments of the display were
very very big and orange. It was in fact a motor driven clock with a device
a bit like a player piano inside that selected the contacts to switch the
segments on and off mechanically as time progressed.
The problem with the design was that it use neon bulbs behind frosted
plastic for the segments of the display. Over time these tended to get
internally blackened. I decided one day to take one apart to see if one
could replace the neon's. Yes, but the whole thing was smothered in a kind
of varnish and the smell was from this where it got near to the resistors
and the neon's which got appreciably warm in use.
Matching the brightness of neon's was a problem I never really anticipated.
On average a given neon would blacken internally in about 18 months. some
however never had this issue, so I'm still at a loss why some did it while
others did not.
Obviously it must have something to do with the ionised gas and the
electrodes.

Getting back to the smell though, I'll be running the tv again later on, so
I'll report back if the smell returns. I obviously need a spectrum analyser.

wrote as underneath :

T'other day, I put on my not that old TV. I never normally use it when I'm
here on my own as the screen is a little redundant. However it was dusty
inside it and as it got warm it made a smell not unlike that combination
of
old fan heater and melting transformer varnish one gets on older gear. No
its flat screen, but anyway, eventually I forgot about it and yet since
then all I can smell is this smell. Its in my nose even if I'm in another
house.
Has anyone heard of this before? I know sometimes when you are ill you
get
spurious smells but I don't think that is the case here, unless some bugs
living in my TV have taken up residency in my nose.
Brian

I would bet on one of those across the mains self healing capacitors in
the TV power supply is on the way out, the smell is incredibly pervasive
and lingers even when the equipment has been removed and the cap
replaced, they are usually X2 spec. and around .05uF. C+

Old July 23rd 17, 08:42 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Brian Gaff wrote:

the Decimo Jumbo digital clock?
It was not really digital at all, just the segments of the display were
very very big and orange. It was in fact a motor driven clock with a device
a bit like a player piano inside that selected the contacts to switch the
segments on and off mechanically as time progressed.

I saw a digital sundial a while back, 3D printed, with a precise
arrangement of slots that allowed the sun to shine through or blocked it
and lit up the time like 7-segment displays ...

Old July 23rd 17, 02:45 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Somebody obviously had too much time on their hands. There is a fundamental
issue about sundials, indeed there are two. One is the position of the sun
is not the same all year and hence some of the day its also dark and hence
the sundial will not work, and of course the weather can ruin your clock.

Old July 23rd 17, 02:48 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Talking of clocks though. I'm sure we have all seen the ball clock but a
friend of mine had an air pressure clock that appeared to operate by heating
up a resistor, which expanded air in a cylinder which operated an escapement
system that made the clock move and recycled the cylinder of air.
One assumes some kind of weight did this part. Talk about inaccurate. Lucky
if it worked to five minutes a day!

Old July 23rd 17, 06:17 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Field

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
Oh yes, I know that one. I got burned on my posterior by sitting on a
solder blob of course, it first seems like an itch, but by then its too
late, burned skin.

Contact with molten solder hurts like hell - I didn't feel the arc burn till
the damage amounted to a very sore ulcer that took ages to heal.