Samsung TV problem

Old July 15th 17, 09:33 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Chris Hogg

Default Samsung TV problem

The author has marked this message not to be archived. This post will be deleted on July 22, 2017.

A Samsung UE42F5000 telly, three or four years old, inherited, has
started making the occasional pop or crack on sound, sometimes
accompanied by a small patch of pixellation on the screen or a
momentary stripe cross it. Problem seems worse after the telly has
been on for a while. Disconnected all the attachments like the PVR,
DVD player etc, but the sound/vision interference is still there. Not
yet tried bypassing the aerial amplifier, but don't really suspect it.

Any suggestions?

--

Chris
Old July 15th 17, 10:24 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

On 15/07/2017 10:33, Chris Hogg wrote:
A Samsung UE42F5000 telly, three or four years old, inherited, has
started making the occasional pop or crack on sound, sometimes
accompanied by a small patch of pixellation on the screen or a
momentary stripe cross it. Problem seems worse after the telly has
been on for a while. Disconnected all the attachments like the PVR,
DVD player etc, but the sound/vision interference is still there. Not
yet tried bypassing the aerial amplifier, but don't really suspect it.

Any suggestions?

Spiders or insects in the works?

Old July 15th 17, 10:28 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Chris Hogg wrote:

A Samsung UE42F5000 telly, three or four years old, inherited, has
started making the occasional pop or crack on sound, sometimes
accompanied by a small patch of pixellation on the screen or a
momentary stripe cross it.

Does it do the same when watching from a source other than its own tuner?

Old July 15th 17, 11:34 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

I imagine it probably will do it 3even if on its own logo. Somebody told me
about a similar one. I don't think anyone ever found it.
Intermittent issues are and always have been a pain in the bum to fix.

I don't know how get atable the psu section is on these tvs. Its been a
while since I took anything apart.

You say it was inherited, where did it live before? IE in a damp place. has
it been disused for some months? did id do it in its old place?
Lots of things to consider, but a good look around inside is probably the
best first step, just in case something is loose.

Old July 15th 17, 11:45 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Chris Hogg

The author has marked this message not to be archived. This post will be deleted on July 22, 2017.

On Sat, 15 Jul 2017 11:28:03 +0100, Andy Burns
wrote:

Chris Hogg wrote:

A Samsung UE42F5000 telly, three or four years old, inherited, has
started making the occasional pop or crack on sound, sometimes
accompanied by a small patch of pixellation on the screen or a
momentary stripe cross it.

Does it do the same when watching from a source other than its own tuner?

Yes. We normally run it off a PVR (Humax 9200T which we've had for
quite a while), via a Scart cable, and my first thought was that it
was the Humax. But quickly demonstrated that it wasn't.

I did wonder whether it was a 'bad cap syndrome' in the power pack,
but surely mfr's have been aware of that particular problem for a good
while now and use decent caps these days, or even four years ago.

--

Chris
Old July 15th 17, 01:12 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Layman[_2_]

wrote:

Chris Hogg wrote:

A Samsung UE42F5000 telly, three or four years old, inherited, has
started making the occasional pop or crack on sound, sometimes
accompanied by a small patch of pixellation on the screen or a
momentary stripe cross it.

Does it do the same when watching from a source other than its own tuner?

Yes. We normally run it off a PVR (Humax 9200T which we've had for
quite a while), via a Scart cable, and my first thought was that it
was the Humax. But quickly demonstrated that it wasn't.

I did wonder whether it was a 'bad cap syndrome' in the power pack,
but surely mfr's have been aware of that particular problem for a good
while now and use decent caps these days, or even four years ago.

I do hope that's not too optimistic!

--

Jeff
Old July 15th 17, 06:28 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

We have several TVs and have noticed this of late - specifically on
the 19" LG in the kitchen and the 32" Sharp in our bedroom. WE use
Emley at about 28 miles but have a strong signal.

The sound crack always coincides with either an instant picture freeze
or some patches of pixelation. To me this suggests outside
interference - indeed I have twice seen it happen when a taxi has been
parked outside.

Somehow I don't think it is the TV - the Samsung UExxF5000 range where
pretty good.

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old July 15th 17, 06:46 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Woody wrote:

We have several TVs and have noticed this of late

Never noticed it on my UE22F5400
Old July 15th 17, 06:55 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Chris Hogg

The author has marked this message not to be archived. This post will be deleted on July 22, 2017.

On Sat, 15 Jul 2017 19:28:57 +0100, "Woody"
wrote:

We have several TVs and have noticed this of late - specifically on
the 19" LG in the kitchen and the 32" Sharp in our bedroom. WE use
Emley at about 28 miles but have a strong signal.

The sound crack always coincides with either an instant picture freeze
or some patches of pixelation. To me this suggests outside
interference - indeed I have twice seen it happen when a taxi has been
parked outside.

Somehow I don't think it is the TV - the Samsung UExxF5000 range where
pretty good.

Well thanks for that. I've established that it's not the aerial
amplifier, so my mind was turning to either the TV itself (possibly
bad caps as mentioned elsewhere in this thread, but certainly
something common to both sound and vision), or outside interference.
As you don't favour a problem with the TV, that leaves interference.
I'll wait a few days to see if it gets better of its own accord. We're
on the Praa Sands relay BTW, a satellite of Redruth in West Cornwall.

--

Chris